Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone got a remote start on their svtf? I've never had one on any of my cars and have recently become more interested in getting one installed (cold weather).

·
Registered
301 Posts
not on the SVT, but in my truck. it has a manual and i had to "trick" the clutch switch to get it to start. just dont leave it in gear!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea from what I have read its a little more complex installation on a manual tranny, but it can still be done.
what are some features I should be looking for in a system?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
yea from what I have read its a little more complex installation on a manual tranny, but it can still be done.
what are some features I should be looking for in a system?
You need to bring it to Michigan as they will have more remote start options. lol First of all, you will need to buy a new "programmable" key to trick the car in to thinking you have the key in the ignition. I think that is like $50.00 alone. You are in Texas so I doubt you need it to warm it up in the winter. However, you need to make sure the remote you purchase will run your AC cause some of them will not. Hope this helps.
Dan

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
not a good idea, the system has to trick your ecu into thinking the clutch is pushed in to start the car, if the one time you leave your car in gear and try to use your remote start then your gonna have some huge issues or course, everything from destroying your drivetrain because the system will try to start your car several times before it stops, or someone elses car, from your moving and jumping around.

i know some states this is ILLEGAL, and the car will not pass inspection with the system installed, IMO this CAN be very dangerous and if something were to go wrong and your car does damnage to someone elses car its gonna come out of your pocket, insurance wont cover something like this, and same with any kind of warranty.

it can be done for sure, but i wouldnt recommend it

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
just got one in my duratec! Yea there is alot to them. You will need a bypass, like mentioned above, to trick the car into thinking the key is in the ignition. Then the actual remote start, and then I would GREATLY suggest professional install. It is very complicated. I got free install at circuit city with my alarm so total for everything was $325. It's alot but well worth it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow i have certainly been moved to the right place, thank you all for the information. I would absolutly have a professional done with it, I'm right at about.. oh whats a good number... zero skill level with car electronics. I never leave my car in gear when its off, Texas is flat as hell so there isnt a real need for it. We do get quite a bit of ice here in the winter and I'm getting tired of running outside to start hte car and freezing my butt off. Nothing like when I lived in Washington but its cold enough that I dont like it.
Who makes one that isnt $600? I saw a Clifford G5 and holy crap thats sexy but omg the price boss, the price!

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
I can't see why you couldn't custom install a relay where if it sees that your car is in gear, it will disable your remote start. I don't see why they don't incorporate that safety feature into their systems anyways. It shouldn't be that hard...

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are kits that are for manuals. I got an AstroStart and I have a "manual module". It requires about 6 more wires. What I have to do before it will let me do auto start is:
1)Engage the parking brake once, then a second time
2)Remove the key(the car stays running)
3)Get out

The car then shuts off and I can use it. Some ppl see these steps as an annoyance, but it gives me peace of mind, when i start it.

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
Yeah we carry some new ones from Viper that also have a "manual" mode on it that works the same way to prevent the car from being started in gear. I'm gettin ready to put one in mine soon as I have some extra cash. you will also need a bypass module for the key. along with that all Fords you must have two keys for the vehicle in order to program any of those modules

·
Registered
140 Posts
Python 872....excellent remstart....and who couldnt want the alarm also...you get 2 remotes one 2 way and one 1 way, so if the alarm goes off it alerts you...also its for manual trans....its a good idea to get one made for a manual car...theres always that one time you might forget and remstart it when its in gear.

the 872 for manual cars goes like this..

1. pull up to spot to park and push in clutch
2. press on brake, pull up hand brake and release brake
3. push the button on the remote that activates remstart, parking lights will flash 5 times
4. get out of veh close door and lock it...veh will shut down.
5. Veh is now ready to be remstarted.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
hope you dont have a manual... just asking for trouble if you keep it in gear one time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
yup, I've doen it before with a manual. Caution though. I sold the car to my buddy and he started it right through a wall. Wasn't mad at me though, his own darn fault.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts