Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a remote starter installed by a ford tech.,if so please let me know of any problems.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 2012 titanium with the push button start, dealer started installing it yesterday they might be done tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Third Generation Ford Focus (2012)"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guimpy.
That would be great cause I live in Cornwall.
Please give me the name of the Ford dealer in Ottawa.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks Guimpy.
That would be great cause I live in Cornwall.
Please give me the name of the Ford dealer in Ottawa.
Sterling Ford on Ogilvie Road. I'm working the later shift so won't be able to post until later tonight. I hope it all went well!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Has anyone had a remote starter installed by a ford tech.,if so please let me know of any problems.
How else do they get installed? What problems are you talking about?

My dealership installed remote start on my SEL and it works flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
How else do they get installed?
My dealership has a third party company come and do it. Even though they said they have a couple of techs trained in it that work for them, they said this company they use, that specializes in remote start and alarm system installation, has expertise and they have never seen them encounter anything they couldn't deal with which is why they use them.

Don't quite know if I am happy for the honesty or wary of the fact that they may not trust their "trained" techs to do it!

Taking mine in today to have the remote start installed. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't screw up anything.
Dropping mine off tonight as well. Install is tomorrow. Picking it up tommorow evening or Sat morning. Will let everyone know if there were any issues.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I got the dealer installed remote start on my Titanium and my dealer did the work in May. It works as intended. The big irritation is that with IA, when you remote start, once you get in the car, you have to turn off the engine and then restart. Old May thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256903&page=2

My post:
I just got a 2012 Titanium and after remote starting, I get in with engine still running, press brake and the start button (normal push button start process) ....the engine shuts off. Bah! Pressing just the push button or just the brake shut engine off also. The remote start manual says, for safety reasons, certain actions will shut off the engine, such as opening the hatch... or pressing the brake.

So, based on the current behavior, it would always have the engine shut off, then have be re-started. Seems stupid. The dealer service manager (nicely) indicated 'this is the way it is' but is looking into any workarounds (such as disabling the Mykey feature) Hmm, you should not have to disable a feature for the remote start to work properly. Either way, it does not appear Ford thought through the remote start in combination with the "Intelligent Access Push button Start." Actually, I have never had remote start. Maybe this is common??

·
Registered
524 Posts
Mine was definitely dealer installed, no third party. The techs however never installed the newer system before, so it was their first one. They did mention that there might be a way to keep the car running when I unlock the door but I would have to sign a waiver form. I wish we could get an exact explanation as to why this is a saftey/security issue. It doesn't make any sense that unlocking the door with my key fob is a security threat. If someone pops the hood, fine the engine should shut off but all the other scenarios don't make any sense. If you have a key fob to unlock the door then there is no security threat because I have a key. I just don't get it. I looked at the mykey features and I don't use any of them so if that got disabled it wouldn't bother me one iota.

I don't understand why everyone is afraid of getting the remote start installation done. Is there some rumor about someone having a problem after install? If so what?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't understand why everyone is afraid of getting the remote start installation done. Is there some rumor about someone having a problem after install? If so what?
I was mainly thinking about the thread for the person about the "shadetree mechanic" that was putting a 2011 remote start on their 2012 and the car wouldn't start afterwards.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got the dealer installed remote start on my Titanium and my dealer did the work in May. It works as intended. The big irritation is that with IA, when you remote start, once you get in the car, you have to turn off the engine and then restart. Old May thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256903&page=2

My post:
I just got a 2012 Titanium and after remote starting, I get in with engine still running, press brake and the start button (normal push button start process) ....the engine shuts off. Bah! Pressing just the push button or just the brake shut engine off also. The remote start manual says, for safety reasons, certain actions will shut off the engine, such as opening the hatch... or pressing the brake.

So, based on the current behavior, it would always have the engine shut off, then have be re-started. Seems stupid. The dealer service manager (nicely) indicated 'this is the way it is' but is looking into any workarounds (such as disabling the Mykey feature) Hmm, you should not have to disable a feature for the remote start to work properly. Either way, it does not appear Ford thought through the remote start in combination with the "Intelligent Access Push button Start." Actually, I have never had remote start. Maybe this is common??
I think this is because Ford lets the car run even if the key isn't in the car. Notice how you can start the car, and then get out of it and the car still runs? Likely this means that if the car didn't shut off, someone could break the window of your car, open the door, and drive away with it.

Of course if it was a properly integrated system the car would check for the presence of a key before allowing the car to go out of park.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We have the "dealer installed" (Ford Series 100) remote starter & it works just great. We were on vacation when the car arrives so it sat inside the dealers for two weeks, when we went to pick it up, there it was and no one new why it was installed. Three weeks later we get a call from the dealer to say it was installed on the wrong car & if we didn't want it they would be happy to remove it, if we wanted to keep it the charge would be $375. instead of the $465. We paid the $$$ and keep it because of the NYS winters. Most likely we would have installed an aftermarket one anyway.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks Guimpy
Hope all goes well,then I will take mine there.
On my break. I didn't think I would be able to reply.

No luck gnx. The guy at the dealer that was to instal the remote start hurt his back and was unable to instal it yesterday/today. I was told they would have a go at it next week.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The remote start, open door, kill engine, get in, restart is $400 in stupid. Had the dealer told me that I would not have had it installed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts