Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, has anyone bought the factory remote start after the bought their car and installed it them self? I was just hoping someone could let me know how hard the install was. And was hoping maybe someone could point me to the instructions. Thanks!

·
Registered
548 Posts
pretty sure ford needs to do it to bypass the immobilizer

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll know tomorrow. I bought another Titanium yesterday and they are putting in the "Dealer Installer Remote Start" (The only option it didn't have) tomorrow afternoon. I do know they said they needed BOTH sets of keys to reprogram the fobs . . . likely not a user-doable function.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I believe it's pretty hard. I got my remote start installed last week by my ford dealer and they only got the starter to work, not the unlock/lock buttons... I feel my Ford dealer doesnt know anything =/

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dealer has been working on my titanium for 2 days not sure when they will get it.. figured enough have already been installed that Ford had a quick cheat sheet to get it done .
the dealer assures me they have their best tech on it..

·
Registered
781 Posts
i had emailed partscheap.com and they said it was user installable. didn't say how easy it was, but that it did come with the necessary documentation. everything else i ordered from them did.

but since i found out that the remote start works a little strange with the push-button start, i decided not to get a remote start. with IA you remote start the car. get in. and then the car shuts off and you re-start it. if you have a standard key the car stays on.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'll know tomorrow. I bought another Titanium yesterday and they are putting in the "Dealer Installer Remote Start" (The only option it didn't have) tomorrow afternoon. I do know they said they needed BOTH sets of keys to reprogram the fobs . . . likely not a user-doable function.
I'm guessing not easy at all too. Mine is supposed to get installed Friday and they did make it a point to tell me to bring both fobs as well as they have to re-program them to cooperate with the remote start. They also have a third-party come in and do the install hence the delay in getting it done. Scheduling and all.

I am glad that they admit upfront that they do not have the expertise to do it and bring in an "expert" rather than F' up my car!

I do want the remote start though as I wanted a Ti and was therefore forced into the first automatic I have ever owned so I figured I'd at least get some benefit out of that fact.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well . . . yesterday was the big day. I appeared at the dealership, both key fobs in hand, to have the "Dealer Installed Remote Start" kit installed.

The fellow, who explained he'd only worked at Ford for 5 days, was cordial and polite as he told me "it takes about 2 hours" for the tech to do.

Fine. I'd brought work. I had a seat and set about busying myself.

Finally after 3 hours . . . . I decide I'd better ask and go looking for the young chap. I find him near his cubicle, hurrying my way, with a distraught look on his face . . . . he's still walking as he starts his "I am soooooo sorry about your car" soliloquy.

I ask "what's going on?".

He tells me that the "factory tech" had the entire system installed but it wouldn't work. The "factory tech" then discovered they were trying to put a 2011 system in a 2012 and there is no way to bypass the immobilizer.

This is where is starts to get good. (I can handle some adversity, a modicum of stupidity . . but lying I have no tolerance for)

The guy tells me "the 2012 kit has not been released yet". As I ask him to brief me on the ones I was told his "factory trained tech" had already installed . . . and why this guy with the "Ford Factory Training" can't tell a 2011 kit from a 2012 kit . . he just mutters. I can tell this guy, after only a couple days with Ford, is embarrassed as well. This is making him look like both a liar and an idiot.

I went silent, having read the various accounts of folks' adventures and misadventures with the 2012 kit. I also recalled him telling me . . "The factory tech has done several of them and can do it in under 2 hours".

He tells me they'll get the 2012 kit and call me as soon as it gets it and goes to "bring my car around".

Meanwhile I'd been wandering about and was curious as to why I couldn't find my car anywhere. . . . where? . . I got curious. . . did this "factory tech" work?

After 30 minutes we have two other service writers and looking for it and I see the young kid emerge.

By now I an hot and tell him "take ME to MY car immediately". He start hemming and hawing and kinda looking toward the back of the lot as the car comes around the corner.

I got in the car and gave it a REALLY thorough inspection looking for any signs of physical damage as a result of the last 3 hours of what can only be described as "shade tree mechanic experimentation" and some idiot "xxxxing around", seeing if he can get it right.

After looking the car over . . .I grab a camera and start looking for the guy and this is what I found.

NO KIDDING . . he really **IS** a "Shade Tree Mechanic"

I bought both my 2010 and the 2012 Ford Focus' to have as spare cars here in NYC, to use as daily drivers. We, I suppose, have been spoiled the last couple years dealing with Ray Catena for both the Mercedes E350 Cabriloet and Porsche. We've become accustomed to really professional service. The Focus was simply too cheap to pass up but I now see I've tossed myself into a cesspool of Ford dealers.

The Remote Start Kit, which they threw in during negotiations for purchase, will never get near this car. I've already visited with another Ford dealer and will meet with them this afternoon. I want, before I even get the car within 5 miles of their place, to have a sit down meeting with the "factory trained tech" who they will have do the install. I want a complete explanation of the procedure and I will sit with him the entire time he is doing the install. I now know that when a Ford dealer has to "hide" your car in the woods behind the dealer . . . that the chance of anything good taking place is slim.

The 2012 Focus turned over 1,000 miles yesterday and I confess it's a hell of a car. I spent over 20 years doing production test riding of performance sportbikes and have a lust for quality machinery. Ford's done a great job with the Focus. I've got a dealer poised to get me the first, or the "firstest" he can, Focus ST, as soon as they are released and I intend to still do that.

But . . .from now on we are going to do service completely differently. I see the horror story that Focus owners have to endure. And, as much as I'd like to think this was an isolated incident, it's reminiscent of the last couple adventures I had with an F-150 that cost me $7,000 over the last 90 days, a good portion of which I think can be attributed to pure incompetence.

I'm off this weekend to help 3 friends fix exhaust systems on their cars. We have a group in the Porsche Club that gets together and works on our cars . . . mostly because they enjoy knowing it's done right. I suspect I may be adding the Focus to the "Do it yourself" queue.

I started to get mad at the dealer . . . but, after all these years . . have learned to subscribe to a "never let a stupid person ruin your day" doctrine . . . I instead got mad at myself for foolishly sitting their for hours as the guy experimented with my car.

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
524 Posts
i had emailed partscheap.com and they said it was user installable. didn't say how easy it was, but that it did come with the necessary documentation. everything else i ordered from them did.

but since i found out that the remote start works a little strange with the push-button start, i decided not to get a remote start. with IA you remote start the car. get in. and then the car shuts off and you re-start it. if you have a standard key the car stays on.
As far as cars with the key vice the IA my SEL had the new vesion of remote start installed and the engine shuts off as soon as I unlock the door. The dealer did say that he can get the techs to change the behavior of the door locks shutting off the engine but I would need to sign a waiver. Not sure what the big deal is but that's what he told me.

Even with the way it works now I really like remote starting my car from across the parking lot and by the time I get to the car it's all warmed up and ready to go. Plus at night, the car is all lit up and looks beautiful as you walk up to it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I bought both my 2010 and the 2012 Ford Focus' to have as spare cars here in NYC, to use as daily drivers. We, I suppose, have been spoiled the last couple years dealing with Ray Catena for both the Mercedes E350 Cabriloet and Porsche. We've become accustomed to really professional service. The Focus was simply too cheap to pass up but I now see I've tossed myself into a cesspool of Ford dealers.
Aw shucks, and here you are with the great unwashed, many of whom have only their 2012 Focus as proof of their station in life.

How can you stand it?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Aw shucks, and here you are with the great unwashed, many of whom have only their 2012 Focus as proof of their station in life.

How can you stand it?
this post is not constructive, nor relevant. Bad customer service is bad customer service, just because this individual is used to a more professional experience with the more expensive car manufacturers, doesn't make his story or its content invalid.

In summary, shut your pie hole and stop being jealous of others.

·
Banned
571 Posts
CourtneyNYC: enjoyed reading about your experience and cringed when I saw the photo. I liked your idea to approach this professionally and I hope you get the same treatment in return.

·
Registered
573 Posts
this post is not constructive, nor relevant. Bad customer service is bad customer service, just because this individual is used to a more professional experience with the more expensive car manufacturers, doesn't make his story or its content invalid.

In summary, shut your pie hole and stop being jealous of others.
There was really no point in the editorializing and bragging and implying a superior relationship to most here, and trust me I'm not jealous.
It is what it is. Plenty of Ford dealers provide great service, even to those who only drive Focuses.

I suppose I could venture a guess at your motivation, but I'll just let you know that I won't be shutting my "pie hole", tough guy, and end it there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There was really no point in the editorializing and bragging and implying a superior relationship to most here, and trust me I'm not jealous.
It is what it is. Plenty of Ford dealers provide great service, even to those who only drive Focuses.

I suppose I could venture a guess at your motivation, but I'll just let you know that I won't be shutting my "pie hole", tough guy, and end it there.
my motivation is that you provided a post with absolutely no worth and rode a guy who is just trying to tell his story as a warning to others. You don't have to be a dick and jump all over him because he compared his ford dealership's service to a high-cost import dealer. You don't have to act all butt-hurt because somebody said something bad about a ford dealership.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I spent years as an executive with a major US vehicle manufacturer; screaming and crying is folly and there is no substitute for a concise description of the problem.

It was disconcerting to find out that the "factory trained tech" was actually a kid working in the back of the lot on a "per install" contractural arrangement and that he, nor the dealer, were aware of any differences (there appear to be many from reading posts here) between the 2011 and 2012 systems.

My greatest concern was that a person, with this rudimentary level of know how, had torn the wiring harnesses and interior panels out and "experimented" (he called it "fiddling around to see if I could make the 2011 work in a 2012) on my car.

It'll get resolved quickly and efficiently.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Starter and Alarm Installed AutoStart.

When I purchased the car I had guarantee from the dealer there would be no problem putting in an aftermarket alarm and starter. My Ford sales rep. suggested a Custom Auto shop in town that installed his proximity alarm in his Mustang. So I booked an appointment with them. After the first day, I was told that they needed a second day since it's wasn't an easy install since there was no real documentation out on the 2012's. So I let them have the car for the second day. They spent a good 2 days on the car and by the end of the second day, they had most of the kinks resolved. I can start my car for a set time, open the truck, lock and unlock and alarm the car. However, I will admit that sometimes the key locks and the autostart locks do get confused. But it's not to hard to fix.

I live in a crime triangle and I really just want the alarm to trigger it to scare the "S$%^" out of the criminal if he goes for getting in the car for a few coins. Which don't exist. I've considered just keeping the doors unlocked and arming the alarm in case the have a pry bar with them. In previous years the really messed up my door frame on the Protege. And for what... nothing at all.

I've actually considered building a garage to my house. But that's extreme. Land mines with semi-automatics might be cheaper.... Criminals beware.

J

1 - 16 of 16 Posts