Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2016 SE hatch that I just bought. Has power locks & windows, but no remote unlock/lock or start. Sure would be nice to have those capabilities if it can be added without costing an arm & a leg & without having to butcher the wiring harnesses. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd think that if you had power windows/locks that the car would come equipped with a FOB to control them. Did you buy this car new or used? If used perhaps the previous owner lost the FOB/key and replace them with keys without the built in FOB. You can buy compatible standard FOBs (without key) online and program them yourself easily. This is what I would try first.

Integrated FOB/Key (refurbished)
Switchblade style Integrated FOB/Key (HU101 Blade OUCD6000022 315MHz 4D63 80bit)

If you bought new and the car truly was not equipped with a FOB then I would look at buying the components required to enable the function and turn on the feature in the BCM using ForScan or Focccus. There are aftermarket options but why go aftermarket when there is a good supply of wrecked Focus's you can get the parts from inexpensively. If your Focus is automatic then there is a module for remote start and a different FOB with that button. Do some research and make it happen!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I said in my original post, I just bought this car. It’s a 2016 with super low miles in very good condition & was repossessed from the previous owner. It only had 1 key with it that does not have the Ford logo on the key. No original window sticker in the car, so I have no way of knowing if the car was equipped with remote lock/unlock from the factory. What info I have been able to come up with is that some cars had power locks & windows without the remote option & some with it. I was looking for someone who has added the things I want & could tell me how to go about it the right way so that I’m not floundering around in the dark, spending time & money doing things the wrong way, which ends up costing more money in the end. Thanks for your reply. At least I know someone is reading.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Alright, how about contacting a dealer and asking if they could look up your build information to see if it is equipped with remote FOBs. I don't imagine they will charge you anything; they should anticipate that you may buy parts and service from them. I'm not as familiar with Ford as I am GM; GM uses RPO codes which are on a label affixed to the car. The RPO codes can be looked up and you can determine what it came from the factory with. Perhaps Ford has something similar.

The other option is to use Focccus to look up your build information. See what the settings are set to currently which may tell the story. If you PM me your VIN I'll look it up for you or you can download and install the Focccus app and do it yourself. ForScan is another option; similar but not as intuitive.

The factory key without keyless start should look like this...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here is an online tool used for Focccus that grabs the as built data from ETIS. Just plug in your VIN and it'll display the settings from the factory. http://ford.xtlt.ru/ab/.

I looked at your VIN and compared to my own and yours is set the same as my car as far as FOBs are concerned. I have the standard integrated FOB/key like the photo I posted in the thread. Line 21 reads Keyess entry and start: 01 - Without Keyless Entry and Start. Meaning you don't have the up-level option which requires no physical key.

I also noted that Remote Start is set to 01; it's at the very bottom; line 242. I'm guessing 01 means without as it matches the setting in my own car which does not have remote start. If you read your as-built data from the BCM and that setting is not 01 that likely means that remote start was added as an accessory by the dealer. The module would be there but the remote FOB is missing. You'd need to connect Focccus up to your car to check that setting to confirm. From the factory it did not have remote start.

If you are going to add remote start you may want to consider an aftermarket device which would have a longer range than the factory. If the Fords are like the GM's your limited to about 100' or less. Aftermarket can get you to 1000' plus. It all depends on what you find acceptable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Check out 12volt solutions. I added remote start to my 2017 using the factory remote, very easy to do and all plug and play. If I add the 3g module I can start and work the door and truck locks from my phone. The range is pretty good for a factory remote.

By the way my remotes are like the picture. You start it by pressing the lock button 3 times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks jrn146. I’ve been looking at their kits & at the Ford OEM kit. Fairway Ford Parts has the OEM kit advertised on eBay. From the research that trottida & I have done, it appears that my car was equipped with remote locks from the factory, so I need to get a key with that capability & get it programmed to be sure, then order a remote start kit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here is an online tool used for Focccus that grabs the as built data from ETIS. Just plug in your VIN and it'll display the settings from the factory. As-Built Editor Ford Focus III.

I looked at your VIN and compared to my own and yours is set the same as my car as far as FOBs are concerned. I have the standard integrated FOB/key like the photo I posted in the thread. Line 21 reads Keyess entry and start: 01 - Without Keyless Entry and Start. Meaning you don't have the up-level option which requires no physical key.

I also noted that Remote Start is set to 01; it's at the very bottom; line 242. I'm guessing 01 means without as it matches the setting in my own car which does not have remote start. If you read your as-built data from the BCM and that setting is not 01 that likely means that remote start was added as an accessory by the dealer. The module would be there but the remote FOB is missing. You'd need to connect Focccus up to your car to check that setting to confirm. From the factory it did not have remote start.

If you are going to add remote start you may want to consider an aftermarket device which would have a longer range than the factory. If the Fords are like the GM's your limited to about 100' or less. Aftermarket can get you to 1000' plus. It all depends on what you find acceptable.
So I used the web site to check what my car (2012 SEL Hatchback) came with and it states I am supposed to have heated mirrors but do not see any indication of that? Am I reading the output correctly. See the attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
So I used the web site to check what my car (2012 SEL Hatchback) came with and it states I am supposed to have heated mirrors but do not see any indication of that? Am I reading the output correctly. See the attached.
I'd say you are reading this correct. They would operate with the rear defrost button; it turns both on. Can't recall but you may have a heater icon etched on your mirror that indicates they are heated. Watch this video >> How do you know if you have heated mirrors?

Something interesting about rear defrost and heated mirrors...they will turn on by themselves based on ambient temperature. I noticed that the rear defrost was on while warming up the car without pressing the button and the indicator doesn't illuminate on the button; I thought that I had an issue. With a quick search I found there is a length thread about this and it was determined that this was a feature. It's not documented in the owners manual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, if you remote start the car & certain temperature parameters are met, it will turn on the rear defroster, mirror heaters & heated seats if you had it on when the vehicle was shut off. Just turn on the heated seat before shutting down the vehicle & it will come on when you remote start. I don’t recall what that temperature is, but that’s the way the wife’s 2013 Explorer & my 2017 Super Duty both work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
image.jpg
This is the icon that will be on your side view mirrors if you have the heated mirror option.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok, so chatted with Ford today and even though the VIN code lookup indicated that as an option that I had power heated mirrors because I did not have the heated package the mirrors are plain Jane (no pun intended). I am the second owner. They said I could order the window sticker that came with the car for $25 plus $10 in shipping but the site is not working for me and it is not accepting any credit card I enter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went back to the dealer we bought the car from & they printed out a copy of the original window sticker for the car (for free). It showed that the car was in fact equipped with remote lock & unlock, but not remote start. Went to Ace Hardware & had them make me a fob/key combo like above. (They guarantee theirs, unlike stuff bought online.) Works like a charm. Now to add the remote start. Fairway Ford Parts has a plug n play R.S./security system on ebay for $259, 12 volt solutions gets $249 for theirs. I'm thinking Fairway because theirs is a combo & totally plug n play, plus I've dealt with them for stuff on my Super Duty & had good experiences.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts