Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have one key fob that came with the car when I bought it and it works fine. I'd like to replace it with two new key fobs for cosmetic reasons (the white symbols on the button are worn off, even though I know which button is for which function.)

My question here is my intent is to go with new OEM replacements since they can be found at a reasonable price.

Is there any reason not to go with OEM replacements? I'm assuming these would probably be the best quality ones.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
First purchase I made for the car when it was new to me, only came with one fob & Dealer price wasn't bad then.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should've gotten one a long time ago, but there were other things more pressing on the car.

Since I have it running rock solid, I need to address having one key and one key fob because it has been bugging me the entire time.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
But with one key and one fob, you know who will be driving your car...only you. That's a bonus you might not want to mess with. I keep an extra door-only (no expensive PATS chip) in my pocket in case I get dumb and lock myself out.

Tons of fobs out there used. I grabbed one from the junkyard last time I was there, and just replaced the rubber button shield for the same reason...cosmetics. Mine are well-used after 300k miles and lots of in-and-out and hatch-opening.

But nice shiny new ones are lovely, too, if you don't mind spending the cash.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But with one key and one fob, you know who will be driving your car...only you. That's a bonus you might not want to mess with. I keep an extra door-only (no expensive PATS chip) in my pocket in case I get dumb and lock myself out.

Tons of fobs out there used. I grabbed one from the junkyard last time I was there, and just replaced the rubber button shield for the same reason...cosmetics. Mine are well-used after 300k miles and lots of in-and-out and hatch-opening.

But nice shiny new ones are lovely, too, if you don't mind spending the cash.

I get what you're saying, but I live by myself (that probably won't change - living alone is great and I have absolutely no desire to change that). The other part is that I hide my spare keys in my house in the most obscure of places so there's a small chance of someone breaking in and driving off.

And the big one.........the absolute game changer: My vehicle has the absolute best anti-theft device in the history of the planet. Manual Transmission.

Muah ah ha ha ha ha!!!!!! [deviltail]

In all seriousness though, I get your point, but extra drivers within the household are not an issue with me.

You bring up a great idea about a used one and perhaps buying a new case for them for cosmetic purposes. Thank you for this idea!!!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
get a flip key for your extra.

also, your existing fob can tranfer the guts to a new cheap case. that what i did when i broke the plastic key ring part.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
get a flip key for your extra.

also, your existing fob can tranfer the guts to a new cheap case. that what i did when i broke the plastic key ring part.
Can you send me a URL with one of these so I know what to look for? If necessary, inbox me with it.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
Just bought a new case for my fob about a month ago, Non OEM, but for less than $5 I can't complain.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Received a new key fob case and a new key fob. Swapped out the old case and programmed both within minutes.

Thank you very much on the tip to buy a new case. That hadn't even crossed my mind and saved me quite a bit of money.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have a great anti-theft system...my car is a yellow manual hatchback with over 484 000kms on it.

Go on, steal it...I dare you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts