Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably has been asked/answered a few hundred times here, but don't let that stop me... [rolleyes]

Have a 06 ZX3 SES and would like to add a remote starter.

Primo Reason for Remote Starter: On the cold frosty mornings want to warm up/defrost vehicle, but down here in sunny SC that is necessary not too often for not too long...

Vehicle came with factory keyless entry/panic alarm fob.

Finally, the Question: Can I add a remote starter and KEEP the factory keyless entry? In other words, it would be swell if I could just keep the remote start fob in the house, use it once in the morning to warm up the vehicle, but continue to use the factory fob for keyless entry...

Cheers,

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
im assuming you have an auto, it is possible to put a remote start in a mtx but its very unsafe and even illegal in some states.

but the question your asking, should be yes for most if not all systems, most remote starts that incorporate the lock/unlock function just tap into the system not replace it. and if im not mistaken there are a few systems out there that only do the remote start, and nothing more.

hope this helps

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
yeah, i'm pretty sure you can get just the remote start kit from somewhere like wal-mart, thats just a remote start and not an alarm system

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
yeah, i'm pretty sure you can get just the remote start kit from somewhere like wal-mart, thats just a remote start and not an alarm system

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought a remote starter from best buy and the system comes with a remote with four buttons: unlock, Lock (hold down for panic), truck, and remote starter. It kept all of my keyless entry options but i just have a different remote now.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Probably has been asked/answered a few hundred times here, but don't let that stop me... [rolleyes]

Have a 06 ZX3 SES and would like to add a remote starter.

Primo Reason for Remote Starter: On the cold frosty mornings want to warm up/defrost vehicle, but down here in sunny SC that is necessary not too often for not too long...

Vehicle came with factory keyless entry/panic alarm fob.

Finally, the Question: Can I add a remote starter and KEEP the factory keyless entry? In other words, it would be swell if I could just keep the remote start fob in the house, use it once in the morning to warm up the vehicle, but continue to use the factory fob for keyless entry...

Cheers,
You can do it but you will have 2 remotes. One just to lock/unlock and the other to start. Before I got my remote start installed I asked this question. So I ended up just getting a viper remote start/keyless entry sytem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts