Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just had the limp mode kick in while on the interstate with cruise control on. I have about 50K miles and just found this thread. No other problems with this before. Is it best to go ahead and add the loom? I felt behind the harness and it didn't feel worn, but I did get the can't accelerate for anything in any gear symptom like a lot of others in the thread referencing the TSB.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!!

It's a sad world we live in when we have to be concerned about a tech installing simple split loom on a harness....

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I just had the limp mode kick in while on the interstate with cruise control on. I have about 50K miles and just found this thread. No other problems with this before. Is it best to go ahead and add the loom? I felt behind the harness and it didn't feel worn, but I did get the can't accelerate for anything in any gear symptom like a lot of others in the thread referencing the TSB.
I don't suppose it will hurt. However I've had the limp mode thing a long time ago, and I don't have any wear on my wires either. So possibly something else causing it.

Reactions: Arco-Zakus

·
Registered
304 Posts
The dealer was unwilling to do the TSB for me citing that they do not do things proactively, but essentially only if a problem arises.

I went and purchased some 1" split loom and will be doing the TSB myself when the car is cool.
I just called the dealership, and the lady didn't know what she was talking about really (by her own admission) but said it was unlikely they'd do anything unless the car is acting up but would have a service advisor call me. Though the dealership was great when my '12 DCT was acting up, I doubt they'll do what SHOULD be done on this '14 manual. Why in tarnation would a car company want you to wait for something to happen when such a fix is so cheap and easy and could be done while the car is getting an oil change.

Amusingly, before I could go look at the car, I checked my window sticker and my car was born exactly on 2/19/14, though I understand those dates have been found to be meaningless. Cursory inspection shows the harness is not done properly, fairly tight, but seems undamaged with some room between. But at 37xxx and change, I want to make sure this doesn't become an issue down the road.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Simple answer is that no company wants to do a recall to fix ALL of an item unless necessary.

Honestly, this tsb would still exist even IF they "repaired" all of the cars (inspect and add chafe protection) since there still remains the chance of future damage in that area, even if less likely once added protection is in place.

Remember what a tsb is, a note on a suggested possible fix IF certain symptoms are present. In this case a note that wire harness problems in a certain area has been seen on some and the suggestion to check there, repair and add protection, IF a problem is seen.

Not every possible repair ends up listed as a tsb., one like this is useful to techs. as it otherwise wouldn't be a first guess when faced with the symptoms described.

Proactive check and adding protection is easy for an individual, unless a number of warranty problems are seen by a manufacturer a recall isn't likely. Tsb's are useful to Dealers and customers by reducing diagnostic/repair time, particularly when a diagnosis isn't obvious or special repair procedures are useful.

Every manufacturer can have a different version of service info. communication, some use a "Service Bulletin" method for suggestions/hints that they'd like all techs. to read in addition to the tsb's that are often read only in reference to a certain vehicle.

Haven't seen info. on Ford using that system, but they have another level called "Field Service Action" above the tsb level that authorizes certain repairs/updates to specific vehicles.

I would think the proactive suggestion that's been made here would be added as a FSA if they had enough reports of wiring harness problems in this area. Authorized "fix" when vehicles in for service.

And there lies the difference between tsb and FSA. One is a suggested possible repair for a particular problem while the other is an authorized action when appropriate (paid for by Ford). Tsb's in general don't affect warranty coverage while FSA's generally add specific coverage. Clutch & TCM extended warranties are a couple examples of FSA's that apply to many MkIII Focus models.

·
Registered
304 Posts
They don't have to do a recall necessarily. A happy medium would simply to try and correctly spec the car when it is in for some service or some variation on that, OR do it if the customer requests it. But to tell a customer of a 2014 car that they won't address a TSB unless it is too late is insane, I don't care.

Didn't have much time to do a clean fancy fix, but it was dry and sunny so I used a mirror to get a close inspection. On my harness a white label is on the section where it goes over that curved piece of plastic, and it was a little aggravated. Got a 1" piece of loom tubing and ziptied it with the zip tie as between the loom and plastic piece as possible. Will consider a more robust fix when I have more time.

·
Registered
43 Posts

So I was told you'd guys be interested in the date my Focus was manufactured.

I own a 2012 Ford Focus SE, Hatchback built in March.

The wire harness came the way you see it in the picture. Which has the plastic protective wire loom on the entire wire harness from factory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome thank you for the information, This happened recently and now I know why... I just checked the harness and it has the problem, small slit in the casing of the harness.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
My car build was April '12 and while I have the plastic around the loom I still added my own over it since better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a build date 07/12 5Spd 64,000 MI and it appears that I have the wrapping already. It feels like there is quite a bit of pinch though not enough to break any wires but its certainly pushing against it with some force.

Do you think it is worth adding more protection?

C

·
0 Posts
I have a build date 07/12 5Spd 64,000 MI and it appears that I have the wrapping already. It feels like there is quite a bit of pinch though not enough to break any wires but its certainly pushing against it with some force.

Do you think it is worth adding more protection?

looks like your lucky. mine has a build of oct 12 12 no wrapping and surely tight against the intake .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just want to add a quick note of how things went when 6 months ago I asked my dealer to put on the loom on my 2013 SE hatch. I started rambling about the potential chafing, the TSB, being proactive, etc... The service advisor said that he can only fix problems that exist and not potentially exist. So then he smiled and put down in the notes, "Customer observed chaffing of the wiring harness." The dealer then took the car in and installed the loom.

Might not work work with all dealers, but one approach might be to tell them that you did see some chafing and you're worried about it.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I had checked my harness before and thought it was wrapped with enough cloth friction tape from the factory that I wouldn't need to add the loom any time soon. It looks like I was wrong. [mecry]

Today on the way to work (in heavy rain) the car started to jerk on the highway and I received an "Engine Malfunction" message with the DTC P061C (P061C:00-A7). The car still ran but the engine was intermittently rough. I drove it the rest of the way to work on mostly rural streets with an occasional limping/low power situation.

Ugh, I wasn't really planning to work on my car for the next 3 weekends because I have friends/visitors from another country that I need to chauffeur to Chicago, Madison, etc. Let's hope whatever fix I do is safe and finished before the 20th.

The wording of the TSB is a bit ambiguous - since I have P061C, I'm assuming I replace the wire and see if the DTC goes away. If not, THEN replace the crankshaft position sensor? It doesn't make sense to me to just replace it if I received the code due to the wiring harness issue. I guess it's possible the wiring harness issue could damage the CKP sensor? [scratch]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just ran across this thread and checked mine, sure enough it had not been done and it was rubbing. We loosened off the harness so it wasn't as tight and will pick up some loom for it

Thanks guys for bringing it up again!

Mikey.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Prato-N,

Just need to think on this a little to answer your own question.

Without direct reference to the tsb., consider a code for the CKP which means an issue with that or the wiring to it. With a known possible wiring issue, that more likely needed repair would be the first item to check. If a problem is found there, it should be repaired and it's unlikely that you had TWO failures (wiring and CKP) at once.

No wiring issue found, then you move on to the CKP itself as a possible problem.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
PratoN did not say specifically that he had verified that his wiring harness was damaged. I would first ascertain if the harness was compromised from rubbing on the intake manifold with an inspection mirror. If the wiring harness has rubbed through to bare copper, then repair that first and make sure you replace the damaged section with a wire of the exact same gauge and length. Then clear the code and see if the problem is resolved.

If the individual wires still have their insulation intact, then P061C is thrown if the PCM can't determine engine RPM. So if the wiring harness is intact and the code is still thrown, then going by the book, it could be:

- Faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP)
- CKP harness is open or shorted
- CKP circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP)
- CMP harness is open or shorted
- CMP circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Ok, i've gotta bump this thread.

After probably 6 months of my flex loom on and 2 autocrosses, I wanted to check on it. (I removed it, which was a mistake...I don't have any decent electrical tape or zip ties so i'll be getting some tomorrow).

Here is my concern, the main 'problem area' as shown in other's pictures really isn't too tight. The loom will, with effort, go here. However, about 3-4 inches down, there is a second place where the manifold touches. It is incredibly tight here. The loom will not go around this, it will fold up if you try to force it. There is no movement in the wiring here either...almost as it it is attached here??

Can anyone else check this on their car?

I can't really get a picture of this. It's difficult to both light it up and take a picture. But I tried, and noticed a factory flex loom further down...strangely where the wiring isn't touching anything.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
TSB 14-0215 <<< PDF is at this link- Big thanks to Squad-G for this collection of PDFs
@wavsine, Thanks so much for posting those pictures.

MK3s affected according to the TSB:

2012-2014 Ford Focus with Auto transmission: built on or before 2-4-2014 *

2012-2014 Ford Focus with Manual transmission: built on or before 2-19-2014 *
I checked and my 2015 Focus has the same issue: Sharp edges on the plastic gismo behind the wiring harness, right where your pictures showed it. So Ford has not remediated the issue in 2015 production.

What I did: I pulled the wiring harness alternately to the front and to the right -- that was a bit difficult -- while I filed the sharp edges of the plastic into a smooth & rounded form. I used a 1/2-inch file. I exercised great care to not hit the wiring harness with the file. The job took me about a minute.

Thanks again!

81 - 100 of 121 Posts