Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
As a rule the Dealer wouldn't check for this, even though a few good ones try to be proactive for their customers on items they know about.

The service bulletin is a hint for a possible cause IF they see a problem resulting from it, not a recommended repair for all cars.

Enthusiasts here naturally try to be proactive & check for/prevent possible problems BEFORE they cause trouble - hence this 'stickie'.

·
Registered
284 Posts
As a rule the Dealer wouldn't check for this, even though a few good ones try to be proactive for their customers on items they know about.

The service bulletin is a hint for a possible cause IF they see a problem resulting from it, not a recommended repair for all cars.

Enthusiasts here naturally try to be proactive & check for/prevent possible problems BEFORE they cause trouble - hence this 'stickie'.
Thanks for clarifying! Appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
The local stores don't believe in anything but 1/2" loom, so I'll try a little of that around the backside for now. Until I can find some 1".
Edit: 1/2" is a no go.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The local stores don't believe in anything but 1/2" loom, so I'll try a little of that around the backside for now. Until I can find some 1".
Edit: 1/2" is a no go.
Does that mean that you weren't able to find the 1/2" or that it doesn't fit?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Does that mean that you weren't able to find the 1/2" or that it doesn't fit?
I found 1/2", however it's too small and didn't fit good. And it would bug me.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The dealer was unwilling to do the TSB for me citing that they do not do things proactively, but essentially only if a problem arises.

I went and purchased some 1" split loom and will be doing the TSB myself when the car is cool.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
The dealer was unwilling to do the TSB for me citing that they do not do things proactively, but essentially only if a problem arises.
Once the wires are compromised, this becomes an arduous repair.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Once the wires are compromised, this becomes an arduous repair.
I did try to explain that the fix was relatively easy/minor and that it could potentially cause a significantly larger issue down the road, but they said that they don't have authority to preemptively do any TSBs if the car isn't throwing up a check engine light or there's some other issue with the car.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I tried this tonight but couldn't get the loom between the IM and the wiring harness. After ~20 minutes the frustration, sunset, and pre-existing headache got the best of me. I'll try again tomorrow. It's tight in there.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I should say, there's 2 places where the harness is touching the IM, atleast on mine. The top one (shown in pics on page 1) is fine and I can get the loom around easily. It's the bottom one that is too tight.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I should say, there's 2 places where the harness is touching the IM, atleast on mine. The top one (shown in pics on page 1) is fine and I can get the loom around easily. It's the bottom one that is too tight.
Mine was very tight also. What I did was tug firmly on the harness pulling it away from the plastic intake manifold. You don't want to yank on it but it has just enough give in it to pull it away for clearance. To get the 6" section on the wiring harness, I opened it with my fingers and pushed it on lengthwise, then once I had it on the harness, I rotated it so that the seam in the plastic flex loom was facing away from the manifold. I used the narrow friction tape as it was easier to get it into the tight space and wrap it around the loom. The 1" plastic flex loom should overlap itself slightly after taping.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Mine was very tight also. What I did was tug firmly on the harness pulling it away from the plastic intake manifold. You don't want to yank on it but it has just enough give in it to pull it away for clearance. To get the 6" section on the wiring harness, I opened it with my fingers and pushed it on lengthwise, then once I had it on the harness, I rotated it so that the seam in the plastic flex loom was facing away from the manifold. I used the narrow friction tape as it was easier to get it into the tight space and wrap it around the loom. The 1" plastic flex loom should overlap itself slightly after taping.

Good luck.
I'll be attempting this over the weekend; will electrical tape be sufficient? I don't have friction tape.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Went to Home Depot and got the 1" loom and had it installed in less than 30 seconds and a couple minutes to wrap with electrical tape. Easiest prevention mod I ever have done.

Reactions: wavsine

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I was just able to slide the 6" of loom around the bundle starting at the top and just slid the loom down the wires while pulling the wires forward as much as I could which wasn't much. And then I turned the split open side away from the engine and taped it near the bottom and top.

I can totally see where this would be a major issue down the road probably more with length of time more than miles but engine movement could hasten the issue.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts