6,103 Posts
Preventive maintenence

Before

After

·
Registered
527 Posts
mine

not sure how far i was supposed to go down...
i think the main areas are protected tho

Reactions: Jburks

·
Registered
218 Posts
I couldn't find any split loom large enough--so I took a section of garden hose, split it down the middle and slid it around the wiring in question. Placed the split away from the motor and then taped everything in electrical tape. I'll get around to getting some polytough in the right size, but the hose is probably just as good a fix as the split loom stuff.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
mine

not sure how far i was supposed to go down...
i think the main areas are protected tho
About as far as I went down. Seemed good enough to me. I could only find 3/4 inch split loom and it was a squeeze to get it on.

·
Registered
527 Posts
About as far as I went down. Seemed good enough to me. I could only find 3/4 inch split loom and it was a squeeze to get it on.
yea the tape is barely wrapped around bcos there wasn't enough space.

Reactions: Jburks

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Build date of 8/14 (or was it 9/14?), but it looks like I'm going to need to do preventative maintenance as well.

:(
As more people report in, it is becoming even more apparent that everybody needs to check their harness and ignore the build dates mentioned in the TSB.

The only other variable is that later builds that are missing the protective plastic loom may have more slack in the harness but some have reported that their late build's harness was very tight against the intake manifold.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
As more people report in, it is becoming even more apparent that everybody needs to check their harness and ignore the build dates mentioned in the TSB.

The only other variable is that later builds that are missing the protective plastic loom may have more slack in the harness but some have reported that their late build's harness was very tight against the intake manifold.
Exactly. I just checked my 2014 model. Built in Aug. 2013. There is very little slack on the wire harness bundle. The edge has cut through the tape on the outside.... [mecry]

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Sorry, does the red circle you put in the picture means that I do have rubbing going on or that I do have some slack?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Sorry, does the red circle you put in the picture means that I do have rubbing going on or that I do have some slack?
Hard to tell from the photo. You'll have to reach down in there and feel it to see which is happening. I'm wondering if the fix at the factory was to make the wires longer so they don't rub, rather than add the loom to protect from rubbing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Checked my 2014 today and its very snug and definately rubbing a bit. It did have loom and tape over it from the factory but I still added a section of additional loom and some zip ties just in case.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I discovered a slit worn in the protecting tape on my 2013 SE (with 5 speed) - 70,000 miles. I can't get a good view inside to see if the actual wires themselves are compromised. I guess i'll just add the loom and hope symptoms don't start.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I did a quick look under the hood and I am not sure where this loom goes. I looked at the picture and later on I looked under the hood and did not see the correct spot. Can someone post a farther back picture so I can get a better idea. Thanks. Is it on the right (driver) side looking at the engine?

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I did a quick look under the hood and I am not sure where this loom goes. I looked at the picture and later on I looked under the hood and did not see the correct spot. Can someone post a farther back picture so I can get a better idea. Thanks. Is it on the right (driver) side looking at the engine?
Here you go.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks wavsine, I remember seeing the square thing with the hole, I first saw it on the other side and looked around there. lol

** I did a temp. fix today. I need some bigger loom, I used what I had which I think was about 1/2 or 3/4 stretched out a bit. I used electrical tape on top to hold it. Thanks for pointing this problem out !

·
Registered
53 Posts
I added a metal 1/2" hose screw tie on this particular cable spot - metal works much better than any tape against cable chafing. This is a simple permanent fix.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Glad I saw this. My 14, built 11-13-14 doesn't have the loom. It's pretty tight but no wear yet. Something to take care of tomorrow after work I guess.

Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Silly question -- do you have to prompt your dealer to check for this, or is it part of their routine maintenance to cross-check if any bulletins are out on a vehicle they're servicing? My dealer just did an oil change on my car a few weeks ago -- would they have acknowledged this?

41 - 60 of 122 Posts