Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my used 2000 Focus with 107,000 miles. Auto/2.0 DOHC Zetec. It seems to be an OK used car, about what I would expect. It's purpose is just for getting to/from work as it gets better gas mileage than our Expedition.

However after reading through all of these post with all of the misc. issues that these cars are having I'm wondering just how reliable of a car is the Focus? Seems like a lot of folks are having problems. The 2012 transmission shudder seems to be a big problem too.

So... Are these fairly reliable vehicles and people are just beating them to death without proper maintenance or is the Focus really that bad of a car?

I belong to several car/truck forums and it's my personal belief that some people are just really hard on vehicles. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just bought my third Focus. 1st one I put 10k miles on in 5 months, then was totalled. Bought another one, and in the past year and a half have put 50k miles on it. Just purchased another one for my 16 yr old daughter.
They don't really have anymore issues than any other 11yr old car, in your case. Luckily, you purchased one with a DOHC motor as there are some dropped valve issues with the SOHC motor.
Do your preventive and routine maintenance, and you should be golden.
Welcome to Focus Fanatics.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
The Zetec engined vehicles are reliable given the proper maintenance. (The early SPI engined version of the Focus had some problems). IMO, early on in its life, Focus build quality/reliability wasn't as good as it could have been but those problems have long been addressed and remedied by recalls/TSBs/re-engineered parts.

The Focus was marketed as a inexpensive, entry level, economy car. It's my feeling that these cars - later on in life - often fall into the hands of people who just want something to get from A to B at least cost. And that often involves, minimal or no maintenance.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The VAST majority of issues addressed here result from maintenance that was never done, that was appropriate LONG B4 in the life of the car involved...

Once "deferred maintenance" issues have been addressed, it's a little or no maintenance vehicle...

Mine was a USED 2004, purchased 2 & 1/2 years ago, the dealer had done all the "catch up" maintenance - so since then I've had ONE repair to do other than oil changes....

The front sway bar link finally gave up, but I was expecting that, as I'd SEEN that the boots for the joint were worn out from age, and it was on my list for PM replacement anyways...

Luck!

·
Registered
288 Posts
The 2000-2001 Foci were plagued with a number of pattern failures. The ones you will encounter are:

1. Old style ignition lock cylinder failure. This one is only a matter of time. Replace it with new style BEFORE it seizes up and requires drilling.
2. PCV hose collapse at intake manifold. Replace with improved part #XS4Z-6N664-BA
3. Alternator pigtail failure. Solder Motorcraft P/N WPT-118 pigtail kit (1U2Z-14S411-TA) onto wiring harness
4. Front spring failure in the rust states usually near the top. Unfortunately you are over the 10yr extended warranty program on this.
5. Rear spring failure in the rust states usually near the bottom.
6. Rear bearing failure. If you have rear disk brakes, this also requires replacement of the rear spindles. There was a program on this years ago. It's over now.
7. Fuel pump failure. There is an unlimited warranty on this I believe.
8. Front sway-bar end-link failure - Just replace every 5 years anyhow, they're not hard to replace or expensive.
9. Front passenger-side windshield cowling failure causing water leakage onto front passenger floor pan. Clean windshield and replace cowling.
10. Valve-cover gasket failure causing hot engine oil to leak onto the thermostat housing o-ring in turn causing that to fail. Replace VC gasket with the higher-quality Fel-Pro item.
11. DPFE sensor failure causing DTC P0401 to be set. Replace DPFE sensor with improved-design OEM unit.
12. The usual heat-shield falling off problems, again in the rust states.
13. Ignition coil primary-side pigtail failure
14. IAC valve failure causing hard warm starts.
15. Battery wiring seems to need more than the usual attention to tightness and cleanliness, particularly the grounds.
16. Passenger-side engine mount - fluid leaks out and causes excessive vibration at idle. Replace only with OEM unit.

I've worked my way through all of these issues over 11 years and my 2001 is now fairly reliable and fun to drive. It helps A LOT that you don't live in the rust-belt states. By the 2002 MY, Ford had many of these issues worked out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great list of known issues. This will come in handy. [thumb]

I've got a loud clunking while driving (when hitting small bumps) Sounds like the front end. I will be checking it out very soon. The catalytic converter is also operating below the efficiency threshold, that will be here tomorrow and looks easy enough to put on. Other than these 2 things it seems like a pretty good car so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts