Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Oh my! I've seen those corroded fan resistors before. Seems to be related to living in the rust belt areas. Chemicals on the roads cause it.
Yes it was completely corroded. The protective metal 'cover' of the resistor (with all the holes in it) just crumbled to pieces as soon as I began to remove it. The funny part was that even though the fans did not operate in low speed everything else worked - AC, no overheating, etc. I only discovered it because I was suspicious that I was not getting both fan speeds and was doing the relay bypass test so I could test/hear them. Once I replaced the resistor and the low speed fans operated I noticed my AC worked much better because it was now cooling the condenser as it should.

Paul

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,500 Posts
I think there is some confusion about how the resistor is removed/installed
It could be that the 2.3L Duratec may be different than the 2.0L Zetec for removing the resistor because of the engine-to-shroud clearance.

To OP.... If the fan shroud/assembly has to come out, the car has to be jacked up high enough for complete removal. If the resistor is near the bottom of the shroud, then it could be that the shroud can be partially dropped down just enough to get the resistor out.

·
Registered
04 ZX5
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It could be that the 2.3L Duratec may be different than the 2.0L Zetec for removing the resistor because of the engine-to-shroud clearance.

To OP.... If the fan shroud/assembly has to come out, the car has to be jacked up high enough for complete removal. If the resistor is near the bottom of the shroud, then it could be that the shroud can be partially dropped down just enough to get the resistor out.
You are correct, I have to remove the shroud on this model, just have to figure out how first, vehicles are always fun.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wow,
Why don't you just get a decent code reader and run the KeyOnEngineOff "KOEF" test. The test will cycle through many of the engine functions, and test the cooling fans near the end of the test. If the fans run fine, then your OK and can move forward with fixing the cooling system and A/C. If not, worry about the fans later and fix the cooling system

With the cooling system, just look under the engine and see if the cylinder block is made of cast iron which is a 2.0 Zetec or Aluminum which is a 2.3 Duratec. If cast iron, then do a coolant flush with Thermocure to remove the rust inside the engine. If aluminum, there really isn't enough iron or steel in the engine to create rust, but the coolant will turn acidic is not changed often.
  • Dump the coolant, and replace with Thermocure and distilled water, drive the car 300 miles, then dump it.
  • Buy a Motorcraft Thermostat, place the bleeder valve up so it bleeds the air bubbles. The Stant works pretty good as well.
  • Replace the coolant expansion tank with a new one that comes with a nice 16PSI coolant cap. Fill with the proper Motorcraft coolant and distilled water.
Then go back to the A/C system, and check the low side pressure. The A/C won't run without a charge. If there is no charge, then you have a leak somewhere. You need about 12oz of a total of 27oz of Freon or 16PSI on the low side for the compressor to switch on for a second, and then it will switch off. With the proper charge level, the fans will kick on and the compressor will run smoothly. But if the charge was blown out to the atmosphere suddenly and rapid, then you probably have a big hole somewhere in the system. Like the condenser, or a rubber hose blew. Now you need to hunt down the leak with dye, soapy water, or a leak detector and replace that part.

You can rent a set of gauges at Autozone to test with.
They also have a vacuum pump as well. A/C parts are cheap now for that year and model. You would have to buy a leak detector. Elitech CLD 100 is $25. Put a partial charge in the system with dye 1/4 can, and search using your chosen method.

You must be an electronics guy because you went straight to electronics first before fully understanding how the system works. Ford is pretty good with the electronics and uses quality wire, connectors and electronic components. I seriously doubt you have an electronics issue.

·
Registered
04 ZX5
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well I will update this thread today after I installthenew part, yes, I prefer to test and troubleshoot the problem personally, sorry I can't afford expensive equipment.

·
Registered
04 ZX5
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
This is a follow-up as I said I would do, I installed the fan shroud resistor and the low speed fans started working, as did the ac, once I added freon. There is a leak in the ac system that I need to address. A huge thank you to Paul1958 and to FocusKnot for all your help!!!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
This is a follow-up as I said I would do, I installed the fan shroud resistor and the low speed fans started working, as did the ac, once I added freon. There is a leak in the ac system that I need to address. A huge thank you to Paul1958 and to FocusKnot for all your help!!!
(y)

Paul

41 - 53 of 53 Posts