Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
04 ZX5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
04 Focus, 2.3 liter, auto.
What can not allow fuse 2 to not get its supplied power to relay 16?, why would fuse 29 blow when i install fuse 14? It seems like everything is pointing to the fans not functioning

·
Registered
04 ZX5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been trying to track down diagrams for the car, but it has not been very successful. My fans seem to be the heart of the problem, including it affecting the ac not working.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,461 Posts
My owner manual shows that F14 is not used, but you must have a PZEV. BTW, if you don’t have a manual, then download one here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/

F14 is a test point and it will blow F29 if you install a fuse there.

And yes, A/C won’t work without cooling fans.

Here are your diagrams…

Attachments

·
Registered
04 ZX5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My owner manual shows that F14 is not used, but you must have a PZEV. BTW, if you don’t have a manual, then download one here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/

Here are your diagrams…
What is the Pzev and what is the difference, i do know that the 8th character in my vin is Z. I also did find out that I have a pretty decent fluctuation with my temp guage and the fans, both came on. I did pick up a new tstat and coolant, not sure if I have an air bubble in the cooling system and I just got the car so I may as well take care of the total

I will update when I can figure out what is wrong and hopefully I can track down why the compressor as no power at the connector.

Should the diode pins have continuity with a meter with no diode in and the clutch wire disconnected from the compressor?

·
Registered
04 ZX5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Here are your diagrams…
[/QUOT
What is the Pzev and what is the difference, i do know that the 8th character in my vin is Z. I also did find out that I have a pretty decent fluctuation with my temp guage and the fans, both came on. I did pick up a new tstat and coolant, not sure if I have an air bubble in the cooling system and I just got the car so I may as well take care of the total

I will update when I can figure out what is wrong and hopefully I can track down why the compressor as no power at the connector.

Should the diode pins have continuity with a meter with no diode in and the clutch wire disconnected from the compressor?
Do you by any chance have the diagram for the a/c circuit? Thank you for all of your help!!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
PZEV basically means that it is a California car and there are many differences between them and the rest of the country. Partial zero-emissions vehicle - Wikipedia

The eight character is the engine code. Z: I-4 2.3L DOHC PZEV “Duratec 23”

I doubt that you have an air bubble in the coolant system now that the the fans have come on...meaning that the stat has opened.

The flyback diode on the A/C clutch should show continuity in one direction only when disconnected from clutch, but even if it was bad (unless shorted) it would not prevent clutch operation.

·
Registered
04 ZX5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to flush the coolant system and install a new tstat tonight or tomorrow, it makes me nervous when I see my temp gauge get almost to the red.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I am going to flush the coolant system and install a new tstat tonight or tomorrow, it makes me nervous when I see my temp gauge get almost to the red.
Yeah, not good. Do cooling fans work on just high, or all speeds?

Concerning A/C... Does your cabin blower work on all speeds? Does the A/C clutch relay engage when A/C is turned on?

·
Registered
04 ZX5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When the wire was dicconnected to the clutch I had continuity on just one side, when connected to the clutch I had continuity on both pins with the diode out of the fuse box.

My biggest problem right now is that I don't know what relay and fuse provides what power to each component in order to trouble shoot where the problem is at. I am not sure if I should let the dealer check it out at this point and have them tell me what is wrong, I am installing a new compressor early next week but I doubt it will fix my problem

·
Registered
04 ZX5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, not good. Do cooling fans work on just high, or all speeds?

Concerning A/C... Does your cabin blower work on all speeds? Does the A/C clutch relay engage when A/C is turned on?
How I can I check to see if the ac clutch relay turns on when I turn my ac on?

Yes, the cabin blower does work on all speeds.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I am installing a new compressor early next week but I doubt it will fix my problem
If clutch is not engaging, then new compressor will likely do nothing. Also, system must have refrigerant charge to work or clutch will not be engaged as a protection. The low pressure switch will prevent that.

The A/C clutch relay should click when A/C is turned on. And, you should read battery voltage on pin 1 (pin 2 goes to ground) at clutch connector when A/C relay engages if system has a refrigerant charge.

The flyback diode should only show continuity with an ohmmeter in one direction if good. It needs to be out of the junction box for testing. If it is shorted, then likely F15 would blow.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
04 Focus, 2.3 liter, auto.
What can not allow fuse 2 to not get its supplied power to relay 16?, why would fuse 29 blow when i install fuse 14? It seems like everything is pointing to the fans not functioning
Do your cooling fans ever come on without the AC being on?
Have you tested the fans by bypassing the relays?

I know you had another thread about the AC and assume this is related but if you could start at the beginning and clearly state what is not working instead of starting with some assumptions/diagnosis which may not be correct that would be more helpful.

Paul

·
Registered
04 ZX5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do your cooling fans ever come on without the AC being on?
Have you tested the fans by bypassing the relays?

I know you had another thread about the AC and assume this is related but if you could start at the beginning and clearly state what is not working instead of starting with some assumptions/diagnosis which may not be correct that would be more helpful.

Paul
The reason I started the original ac thread was because that is what I thought was the original problem, I just purchased the car a few days ago and I knew the ac was not working and I know the guy I purchased it from, who did tell me he charged the ac, he said he heard a pop and the ac quit working, i just found out about the fans only kicking on, when the car gets almost in the red on the temp gaugemost likely on hi, both at the same time today. So what i will do when I get back home is strat trouble shooting at the beginning, which is part of my issue since I am not positive where to start. It does appear that my car only has one relay to control the fans.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The reason I started the original ac thread was because that is what I thought was the original problem, I just purchased the car a few days ago and I knew the ac was not working and I know the guy I purchased it from, who did tell me he charged the ac, he said he heard a pop and the ac quit working, i just found out about the fans only kicking on, when the car gets almost in the red on the temp gaugemost likely on hi, both at the same time today. So what i will do when I get back home is strat trouble shooting at the beginning, which is part of my issue since I am not positive where to start. It does appear that my car only has one relay to control the fans.
OK thanks for the update. It seams like the 2.3L was offered with non-PZEV and PZEV for 2003 and 2004 and it depended on what state the vehicle was originally delivered. What state are you in?
As best I can tell the non-PZEV 2.3L should have a single fan and a single fan relay which operates the fan at one speed. The PZEV has two fans and two fan relays which operate the fans in two speeds (low and high). Does you car have one or two fans?

Keep in mind that as FocusKnot has stated the operation of the AC and cooling fans are interrelated - both are controlled by the PCM.

Paul

·
Registered
04 ZX5
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My car has 2 fans, but it seems like both fans operate off of a single relay, at least as far as I can tell, if its the four pin relay under the hood towards the drivers side of the vehicle, there is no second relay next to it, but I need to get the fuse panel layout for the pzev motor to make sure I have the proper relay(s), i checked and know I have power at the one relay and the fans turn on but only when the motor gets almost to the red at the temp gauge which can't be normal.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
My car has 2 fans, but it seems like both fans operate off of a single relay, at least as far as I can tell, if its the four pin relay under the hood towards the drivers side of the vehicle, there is no second relay next to it, but I need to get the fuse panel layout for the pzev motor to make sure I have the proper relay(s), i checked and know I have power at the one relay and the fans turn on but only when the motor gets almost to the red at the temp gauge which can't be normal.
2004 Ford Focus Owners Manual:

Battery Junction Box/BJB (engine compartment fuse box) diagram/listing is on pgs 134 - 136. The relays for the two fan setup are R3 (high speed) and R16 (low speed). See that you have those in your BJB and let me know. You can do a relay bypass test to verify the fans work in both speeds.

BTW the relay numbers used in the owner manual are not shown in the diagrams that FocusKnot posted above but R3 = C1424 and R16 = C1058.

Paul

1 - 20 of 48 Posts