Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Well i am working on rplacing the left front wheel bearing, ( it's been growling for months,....) Any way I got the sway bar link loose, anti-lock sensor out, so far so good you'ld think, Moving on to the strut pinch bolt. Broke 3 sockets so far, one of them craftsman, now I'm starting to slip on the bolt head,,rounding it some. I'll get back to that, Working on the lower ball joint pinch bolt.. broke the nut off, flush with the knuckle, I am now at work, I need to get this done before Tuesday I only have spare transportaion till then, maybe Wednesday at the latest (wife out of town and using her car)
first question. does the lower BJ bolt thread into the knuckle at all, or is it just threaded in the nut that broke off? Can I just punch it through? If I can then I can drill out the strut bolt on the drill press.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am getting ready to do my front wheel bearing. Wish I could be more help. Do you have the How to printed out. It's for the rear .....so don't think some of the suspension pieces apply. Did not know you had to remove all that stuff the get the hub off. I was thinking of replaceing the enitre hub and not have to deal with remove/replacing the bearing.

Link to bearing replacement.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119824

Link to entire How-to forum...look around may have more suspension related articals.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65218

I was asking a lot of questions that were answered in this forum....hope it helps a little.

·
Registered
30 Posts
first question. does the lower BJ bolt thread into the knuckle at all, or is it just threaded in the nut that broke off? Can I just punch it through? If I can then I can drill out the strut bolt on the drill press.
It just threaded in the nut that broke off? I ran into the same issue but I was doing a clutch change.http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173742
I have PM b16sir1991 about the same thing and this is what he wrote back to me. [Since your up north, it may be seized in there. One, youre not trying to remove it while the car is sitting on the ground, are you? That may make it very difficult to remove. If you have it on jack stands, spray it down with PB Blaster and let it sit for a day or so. Then try to move it. Actually trying to "unscrew" it may not work because the knuckle isnt threaded. It should turn freely though. If you get it to turn, you should be able to simple knock it out with a hammer. Just be careful not to hit the threads or you may have to buy a new bolt, and it isnt a regular bolt, you have to use the factory one thats made for it.] Hope this information helps. [wrenchin]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
If you broke the nut off, there should not be any threads in there. Use a punch and a hammer and drive it out. I can't remember a nut, maybe mine is made differently. It's more likely that my memory is off though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, I wound up removing the lower control arm and knuckle together, then I had to drill out the BJ bolt PAIN IN THE A$$.
I got everything ready to press the bearing and hub in, I am taking it to work I am a Machine repairman at Ford and will use the arbor press there. One of the very few perks. Once I get the bearing installed I should be good to go. Oh, I will have to check the dealer for some new bolts if they don't have them in stock I'll use some grade 8 from work until i get factory parts. I need to have this running to go to work Tuesday. I am using my wife's car till then, she needs it Tuesday afternoon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts