Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done the typical pan drop, new filter and fluid change at least a dozen times on Fords thru the years. This has never happened, and it's urgent.

Drove into the garag, dropped the pan, cleaned the magnet and put on a new filter, replaced the pan, and topped up with about 5q of fluid.

Now it won't go into gear, any gear. Nada.

Any ideas? I've never seen anything like it, and am at a loss as to what could've gone wrong on a simple procedure.

I did idle it for a few minutes, check the fluid a few times to make sure it's right, and it is.

Help!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Sounds like a Solenoid wire was disturbed, also.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Does the shifter move into the different gear positions, but the trans doesn't?

Or will the shifter just not go from "Park"?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Could be the gear selector switch on the front of the transmission. It's electronic. Did it get damaged ? How many miles on that ATX?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:

To clarify, shifter moves, but it won't engage. Must be fluid flow.

Dropped the pan again, everything looks fine. One thing is odd. Sucked on the filter, and there's of course a little resistance. However, sucked on the old filter and there's almost no resistance.

Should there be any resistance in the filter? I know this is really a ******* troubleshooting technique, but I'm grasping at straws.

The fluid I took out was dark, but not stanky. I refuse to believe that new fluid could "break" the pump or anything else, no matter how much "crud was holding it together", especially since there was no crud. Magnet had a small bump of smooth graphite like residue, no metal or anything even gritty feeling.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
If I was you, I would install another new or the original/old filter. I'm guessing that filter should have very little resistance.

If worried about fluid flow, and to check the pump, you can disconnect the bottom hose off of the cooler and the fluid should flow-out at a fairly high rate. <- with engine on.

Additional info here->
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169493

1 - 7 of 7 Posts