Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i am new here, and i dont have a focus yet, but i wanted to know what the differences are between the two cars mentioned above. I know the basics, but differences such as displacement, suspension... I am also concerned with the new Cali 2.3 liter focus. i have heard that they cannot be turbo'ed or SC'ed? Is this true. And my last question is how much $$ would i have to put into a reg. ZX3 to make it up to par w/ a SVT (using used parts also).

Yeah thanks in advance. GO FOCI!!!![thumb]

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
im not to sure of what the differences r in suspension or displacement, but the new engine ur talkin about is the pzev. Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. just a few things, like exhaust and intake to keep emissions down. but not bein able to be turboed or supercharged, im sure u can. i know there arent to many aftermarket parts out yet cause its still new. but things r bein tested and worked out. and for ur last ques., maybe around 1500 or 2. if im wrong on any of this, people will correct me. (i prob am)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
it depends how far he wants to go with the 'reconstruction'...i.e. powertrain, exterior, interior, etc. He can make it perform for not so much, but if he wants a real SVT, he's better off buying one. The warranty is nice, but if you don't care about that, buy a reg zx3 and do exactly what you want to it. I bought the svt because its pretty good right out of the box and I don't plan on turning it into a race car...just a fun car. I like the warranty because it takes some stress out of my life for the time being. Once I move and have a second car and place to put it, I won't mind building something up again.

Basically, its a matter of choice. Save yourself the money and make up your mind as to what you want BEFORE you sign papers for either car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey bowersdaazian welcome to the boards. The displacement is the same. 2.0l, the hp is different. The SVT has 170hp 140tq? (not sure of tq) stock ZX3 has 130hp 120tq? (again not sure of tq), the SVT is lowered, has bigger rims, body kit and higher price tag. As far as making a ZX3 up to par with an SVT it wouldn't be too hard depending on the route you take. If you stick to bolt-ons i.e. cold-air, exhaust, udp (pulleys) it might take a lot. However, if you put a 75hp shot of Nitrous you would be pretty far ahead of the SVT, unless he was shooting also. Search the boards and look around and you can see what works the best and make some decisions and go from there.

Hope that helps and if I'm wrong on anything please let me know.

Toohey

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Depends on what you want.

If you want a cheaper car to start with but with more porential in the future, get a 2.3 duratec car.

If you just want to stay stock and like the appearance and lil extra power, then get the SVTF.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
And the only reason why you may thing the 2.3l can't be super or turbocharged is because its only been out for a little less than a year, and no one has made a kit for it yet. There is one turbo kit fabricator in NC (1turbofocus) that is itching to make a kit. However, I can bet that it will not be CARB legal. Probabaly would be easier to move out of that state first.

·
Registered
178 Posts
ummmmm Tom's been ready to turbo the 2.3 for a few months now... he just needs a donor car.... so put that rumor to rest =p

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THanks guys for the quick responces. My plans are to get a car (nice to have a focus rather than any hyundai) and to go Auto-Xing with it and stuff. I am really into the whole SCCA thing and i plan to either SOLO 2 or club race (not with my car but a track car). I want to do the whole nine yards (sooner or later) because i love making my car fast and of course my own (nothing 'really' rice). So if anyone can give me some more specific numbers on pricing and stuff, please let me know.

Alan

·
Registered
793 Posts
well i u want the pricing on a turbo, go to www.focus-power.com , there is also engine management kits and other performance products!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
BToohey44 said:
However, if you put a 75hp shot of Nitrous you would be pretty far ahead of the SVT, unless he was shooting also.
Nitrous may boost his hp/power.. but it won't make up for the suspension, transmission, tires, brakes, engine life, and style of the SVT!

**If you can get a SVT.. Do it. (Even Used) The price is small in when you look at it as an "out of the box" performance car.[;)]

**If you are buying a Focus, want performance, and are already thinking of Modding.. Get a SVT.

**If you are buying a Focus because you want a cheap econo car.. get a ZX3

[thumb]

·
Registered
845 Posts
that's not true gwizzy...I have a ZX3 and I'm modding it A LOT. my next mod is a supercharger that'll take more boost than a stock svt (lower compression and all). I also like the fact that I only need to change gears 5 times instead of 6 to cruise on the interstate. The only way a 6th gear would benefit me is if it gave me a higher top speed because while the SVT driver is clutching and shifting that extra gear, I'm at WOT. Also, the SVT is as much a "cheap econo car" as the ZX3...they're both a Focus...but the SVT is a "mildly tuned" cheap econo car.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
By the time you've paid for all those mods... you spent just as much ..if not more than the price of an SVT.

ALSO -The 6 Speed adds more than just a highway gear... It's longer ratio and higher Redline allow for extended time in each gear.. By your words... When your shifting to second.. I can stretch out my 1st for a couple thousand more before I shift. And since most of the SVT power is produced at higher RPMs ... It helps.

-I know that they are both "econo cars" but the SVT is WAY more bang for the buck.

-The ZX3 can be "modded" for power.. and with enough $$ even improve its handling.. But Kiss your warranty and engine life goodbuy when add a supercharger/turbo, intake, & diffrent suspension... oh yeah.. don't forget the brakes... you need to be able to stop too. ... But then again with all that new power.. you'll want better tires...and while your at it... you'll need new rims to hold those tires.... sfter all 16x6 isn't big enough to get over then new brakes!.... Then there is the "look"... Body kit, new seats (leather of coarse), moon roof, wing, ahhhhhh..... Man that can get EXPENSIVE really fast!!!

**Not trying to be "[email protected]#K... Just pointing out that it would cost a lot of $$$$ to match/ out-perform the SVT... You would be better off getting a Mustang for that kind of money... That'll really kick the SVTF's A55....[thumb]

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'd get the SVT just because of the little things you can't get on a regular Focus. Like HID's, rear seat headrests, 6 spd and the styling.

·
Registered
845 Posts
a ZX3 with a JRSC and Eibach suspension is still better "bang for your buck" over the SVT and the engine will last just as long...detonation kills engines, not superchargers running safe boost. The SVT is only worth the money if you don't want to mod the car and still want something "a little" quick. a ZX3 with JRSC is faster than the SVT and the eibach suspension is better than the stock SVT suspension....there's your better quarter mile car and track car. Rear seats look better in the garage than in the car, and the headrests don't tilt forward making them useless unless you are leaning back asleep. Wheels and tires are fine stock and so are the brakes...rear disks are overkill on these cars unless you take it out to the Nascar tracks...you'll never get your brakes hot enough to need disks...besides, most braking is done with the front brakes since the car leans on them when braking (unless you drive really fast in reverse).

The SVT "extra gear" is above 3rd, so while your shifting, I'm still pushing in my power band. With low/mid/and high end power due to the supercharger and stock cams in the ZX3, you won't give a $h*t about that extra gear. It's only in the SVT to keep the rpms up to make up for the lack of power a supercharger would provide in the low end making that extra shift unnecissary.

·
Registered
845 Posts
hahaha...i'm at work...give me a spelling "break"! I caught it and updated before your post....i think...[:D]

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Hey, if you're only thought is on the 1/4 mile... then more power to you. I myself still want a car that can be driven daily and provide a thrill. You still are dumping wayyyy to much money into a cheap car by adding a supercharge ("turbo tornado" lol) etc.. on a ZX3. (Add a FI into a SVT .... and lookout..) Not to mention you wanna put a suspension on it that won't allow anything but a numb A55 on a michigan road!

* The SVT is still the better bargin! And the best bang for the buck.. If you want 1/4 mile time... then a FWD Focus is NOT the car you should be driving. [paranoid]

**Never driven a SVTF have you?

** To each their own I guess...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts