Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else here has noticed this. The chome has a very slight haze to it. I'm using MTEC 65w bulbs, stock is 55w. I modded an H9 to get it to fit. I'll have to pull them out if it gets any worse.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The 'chrome' is just plastic with a chrome like plating. They are currently being 'cooked' .. You are on the way to melting them. just my opinion...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, this is after 3 months of use so I'll see how it goes. Alot of people have tried this mod on alot of other types of cars with success. the H9 to H11 mod gains you double the light output with only a 10w increase....might be too much in this case though. The fog lights with the same mod using the hyper yellow nokyas are holding up great though

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I'm using MTEC 65w bulbs, stock is 55w. I modded an H9 to get it to fit. I'll have to pull them out if it gets any worse.[/IMG]
Your problem is your own cause. No nobody else has this problem because most are wise enough to not mod an electrical system to handle more wattage than it's supposed to.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Actually i had modded some high beam bulbs to fit into the low beam on my prior car.
It was OK.
The only bad point was reading about some guy who used higher wattage bulbs in his Volvo fogs, and melted the lenses.
From Amazon comment.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I learned my lesson on my previous car. Fortunately there was no damage to the headlights. I turn my lights on whenever I drive. I replaced the stock lamps that were 18 months old with brighter lamps. They were brighter, but lasted 6 months. On the advice of Motorweek I used a Philips product that was supposed to be better. They only lasted 6 months. I changed back to the OEM lamps and they were working the day I traded the car in. This "mod" isn't worth the time or money....

·
Registered
418 Posts
Take them out immediately.
The spacing is wrong, The wattage is wrong.
How can you even consider modding a brand new car,
One that has a good manufacturers warranty.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Take them out immediately.
The spacing is wrong, The wattage is wrong.
How can you even consider modding a brand new car,
One that has a good manufacturers warranty.
Whats wrong with doing a few mods to a new car?

I've seen to many people melt headlight/foglight housings by trying to go to a higher wattage bulb.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Whats wrong with doing a few mods to a new car?

I've seen to many people melt headlight/foglight housings by trying to go to a higher wattage bulb.
Where I come from it invalidates the Manufacturers Guarantee,
If the person in question were to take the car in for a headlight problem,
They'll tell him to go fly a kite.
If you install induction kits or exhaust kits the engine warrantee is null and void.
Only Manufacturer Approved Upgrades and Accesories are allowed.
On the Plus side We get Free 5 Years or 90000Km Service for Free, Oil, Filters,Plugs, Labour etc etc all included.

Nothing Wrong with the Standard 55 W Lights anyway, Its all bling after all.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I figured that something like this would happen to the housing using a higher watt bulb. Going with a 55w bulb sooner rather than later would be best.

Obviously the best result you can have is cosmetic imperfections the worse possibilities are a melted/misshapen housing and peeling of the chrome layer. Hopefully it's not too bad.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its not that bad at all, it took 8 tries with a flashlight to finally get a pic where you could see it. I'll still pull the bulbs today until a suitable HID alternative comes out. For me it has nothing to do with bling. When you travel everyday at 5:00am in the middle of nowhere and there is dead deer and foxes all over, it all about safety with me. Going with the H9 made a big difference in lighting, but alas its not meant to be.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Where I come from it invalidates the Manufacturers Guarantee,
If the person in question were to take the car in for a headlight problem,
They'll tell him to go fly a kite.
If you install induction kits or exhaust kits the engine warrantee is null and void.
Only Manufacturer Approved Upgrades and Accesories are allowed.
On the Plus side We get Free 5 Years or 90000Km Service for Free, Oil, Filters,Plugs, Labour etc etc all included.

Nothing Wrong with the Standard 55 W Lights anyway, Its all bling after all.
They can only void you warranty if the issue is I direct cause of the issue. Around here anyways.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well Lets Look at this Case,

The reflector is starting to burn due to the Fact that The Lamps are running too Hot.
Simple and Cut and Dried, Guarantee on Light is void.

Please Read from the Ford Warrant Manual Below Before Doing Mods to Your Vehicle.

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis,
or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor
Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or
with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not
limited to exhaust and intake systems)
• the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than
a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed
for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of
Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part
to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized
tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting
systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or
software and performance ‘‘chips’’

I would strongly reccoment That Forum Members Stop Doing Mods on Vehicles that are Under Warranty.
Plenty Time to Mod and Experiment Once the Warranty has Expired.

This is good sensible advice given from the heart, Take it if you want it or Ignore it if you please.
I've been there done that (Had the warranty Voided on another car) and I'm wearing the teeshirt.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would strongly reccoment That Forum Members Stop Doing Mods on Vehicles that are Under Warranty.
Plenty Time to Mod and Experiment Once the Warranty has Expired.
Isn't this website about enjoying your new Focus? Part of the enjoyment for some people IS the fact that you can experiment with different parts.

Unfortunately in this case, we all learned at someone else' expense, that the modded lights is not a great idea!
This also stimulates all of our respective economies by purchasing parts and products for mods.

I believe that we all know that we could possibly do damage to our vehicles, but it is a chance we are willing to take. Some more than others!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts