Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. it is 91 degrees today, and ive notced that my a/c isnt blowing as cold as it did when i got it last nov. How hard/expensive is it to add the refridgerant to it? Any suggestions to how? and What to do?

I know theres the possiility of a leak, but the a/c still blows cool, but its not COLD!!! lol and suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
actually, can't you go to Target or w/e, and buy a recharge kit?

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
You shouldn't have to fill it unless it has a leak... that's why it's called a sealed system. I would honestly suggest that you are better off having it checked by a qualified tech than attempting to "top it off" yourself. Too much refrigerant in the system can give you problems and impede the performance of the air conditioning.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's really easy to top off your system. Go to Wal-Mart/Target/Autozone and get a can of 134-a refrigerant. You can get one with a gauge on the top of it. If your car is still blowing cool air you just need to top it off. Use the gauge and it will keep you from overfilling it. Most of those have the oil, refrigerant, and a little bit of stop leak in them. They work great.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ alright cool.. thanks... yea.. i just dont want to hacve to take it in and get chared up the ass for them to do somehting i can fdo myself. thanks

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
I still say that's not a good idea, but it's your car. A can with "stop leak" in it is not the same thing as a trained technician locating the source of the leak and repairing the leak. Plus, while yes you would have to pay to take it somewhere, if they screw it up, you're covered. If you screw it up, you're just screwed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
stop leak is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It can even stop the leak in the orfice valve!!
a/c is not somthing for untrained people. I'm sure you compitant but most shops wont charge you up the ass. average charge is about 39.95 for a check up some even include 1lb with that.
these are not r12 cars they are not expensive to take care of.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
LOL @ orifice tube.. it's either an expansion valve or an orifice tube.. take your pick and walk 20 paces Mr.

If you think it's not cold now.. wait until after you over-charge it. R-134 systems can take a little over-charge, unlike the old R-12 systems. The only issue is if you put too much oil in, or you put too much refridgerant in- it doesn't blow as cold. Also, being as it's 90 degrees outside, the AC isn't going to work as well as when it was merely 80. If you don't like it, talk to your local congressman and insist that you don't give a damn about holes in the ozone over Canada and Australia, and you want your car cool NOW DAMMIT!!

I think I'm going to go outside and spray a few cans of aerosol up in the air just for you man [thumb]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
if you do this i will call the epa and have them watch you becuase i guarentee that you will leak it in to my atmosphere becuase you WILL screw up, and R134a in the face is not a plesent experince

·
Registered
18 Posts
So where the heck is the fill port. for a 2001 ZX-3 with Duratech.
it's 98 degrees and drove car around town for 20 minutes. A/C is not up to par.
Got a can with gauge popped the hood noticed the A/C clutch is cycling on and off 50 second interval.
If I could find the damn port I would fill it up. after all it's getting old.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
^^ if nobody tells him, maybe he will have someone qualified to work on it look at the car first...

therefore my answer is.... "I have NO IDEA! " [rolleyes]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well thanks for your .02 cents worth of Smartness.
Tech can't find it either. Going to town is not an easy option let alone getting an appointment. Read LONG ways.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Doodz, sometimes the problem is a crappy a/c design. My Subaru does that on/off cycling crap, and every time I take it to dealer they check the high and low pressure, do a quick inspection, and shrug. Then the service manager comes over and says: "That's normal, it's supposed to cycle." What he really means is: "Subaru designed a crappy a/c system for your car, and I can't do anything for it."

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well.. i juss its just me... it was 93 degrees today, and it blows cold as a whistle.. if that makes sense..lol

what i did find out from a buddy who is a mechanic, is that the a/c vents and ducting on a focus arent the greatest, and that if you block off one vent, say on the passenger side, it blows a lot colder on your vents.. though that is common knowledge.. jsut thought id share.... so.. bring on the heat biotches..... lol

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
scorpion619 said:
Well thanks for your .02 cents worth of Smartness.
Tech can't find it either. Going to town is not an easy option let alone getting an appointment. Read LONG ways.
apparently your tech has never worked on a focus... the low side port is on the accumulator, which is located just in front of the passenger side front inner fenderwell (easy to get to if you have a lift, a pain in the butt if you don't)

The high side port is easier, near the condenser (you probably found that one already)

Don't use stop leak, and if you are gonna 'top off' at least use a freon that has tracer dye in it, so you can find your leak once that stuff runs out again. Flourescent dye is the best way, but that orange crap is better than nothing if its all you can get.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if i ever need to have mine topped off, or charged, i plan to take it in... i dont trust mysself with charging an a/c system, unless i have all the tools for it, and know what im doing... those cans are temp. fixes, and i never would use one......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Must be on top of the Acumulator because I was up in there looking around.

Thanks I'll try andget my head up in the fender well and find it.

We fixed the A/C on my 94 Explorer. leaking pressure switch. replaced it put two can of freon in and whala got cold air.

I spent most of today swapping the steering console on a 70 Porsche 914. Ignition switch gave up for the last time. Swapping in a later unit from parts car. nothing is easily bolt in lots a fab work and rewiring. If you don't get in and fix it you will never know how it works.

·
Registered
60 Posts
your air

First MAKE SURE YOU FILL ONLY THROUGH THE LOW SIDE PORT!!!!!!!!!
There is a high side and a low side. Very easy to do! Get a can with a leak stop of r134a at murrays, wal mart, etc.... Get the one with the guage!! First start the car and turn the a/c on high. Next with the car running, attach the the hose with the guage that you just bought onto the LOW SIDE port. Look at the guage, if it is in the green area, slowly open the valve on the guage you will see the guage go up NEVER let it get near the top of the yellow! After you let it flow into the system a minute or so, shut the valve and look at the guage again. Continue this process untill the guage is in the blue section! When it is, disconnect your hose with the guage and your all set!! Very easy once you do it once. Weh you first test the system if it is already in the blue DO NOT FILL ANYMORE! The system is already full. Remember only take a reading with the car running and the A/C on high! Go for it , you will be proud of yourself when you are enjoying your ice cold air again! Follow these directions and you will not vent any freon into the air!

Take care, and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask me!!!
[:)]

·
Registered
115 Posts
How cold exactly are the A/C on focuses suppose to be. I just bought mine with 60,000 miles on it, and I don't even use recirculated air in the heat of the day in Oklahoma b/c its way too cold. I'm guessing that's as good as it's suppose to work. However, The person who I bought my car from says a previous guy who was looking at the car took it to a mechanic and the mechanice said it might have a leak. Cough* Might Cough*. I figure it's just one of those deals where he said it did to lower the price, etc.

But I could be wrong for sure, I mean the A/C is still cold should there be anything to worry about? Should I even have it go checked out? I guess if there is a leak it will still be cold until it completely runs out correct?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
azdamay said:
You shouldn't have to fill it unless it has a leak... that's why it's called a sealed system. I would honestly suggest that you are better off having it checked by a qualified tech than attempting to "top it off" yourself. Too much refrigerant in the system can give you problems and impede the performance of the air conditioning.
hahahahahahahahaha !

We took our 05 in to the dealer at 15K miles because the AC wasn't blowing cold air and when they tested it, they said the AC cold air temp was normal.
I went out to the garage and felt it for myself and it was a little over warm at best and I told him this is not acceptable for AC.

He said he can install a can of refigerant for $60 or I can put some in myself but he can't/wouldn't show me were the low pressure valve was located.

I bought a Ford service DVD and they point to it but do not show you a diagram/location/placement of where the low valve is located.

Summer had passed and after several months passing by, I found it in front of the passenger side wheel behind the splash gaurd.
They put the low pressure valve right on top of the accummulator.

I turned on the car, turn on AC to MAX high, connected refrigerant with gauge, gauge showed low, I inserted/pumped refrigerant until the gauge said it was normal and wala, I have cold air.

Also, there's nothing in the manual/warranty that says you void the warranty for adding refrigerant. That's like saying if you change your own oil that you void the engine warranty.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts