Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im in the shop.... after i changed the oil in the focus i go to start it and it just cranks for about 5 seconds without starting, so i turn the ignition back to the off position and try again...

cranks for about 3 seconds and starts firing slowly then its started.
after i shut it off and check the oil level i try to restart and it gives me a hard time again.

this car does some wierd crap, sometimes i go to start it and it wont even crank.

what is going on guys?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
04 focus zts auto 2.3 85k

cranks normal

i am the 3rd owner of this car and im pretty sure its all oem parts on it

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Well I would start with the easy stuff. Tune up. Plugs, wires, fuel filter and air filter. After that check the condition of the battery and all electrical connections. Positive and Negative Battery cables...Double check the ground wires. And lastly was the car running normal right before the oil change. ? Maybe you knocked a vacuum hose off of some thing easy. Double check that to.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here is the thing, its intermittent and it runs fine now[scratch]

it only does this occasionally,

is there any chance of this being a fuel pump?
my truck started hard like this sometimes

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Most likely if the car is running fine, probably the fuel filter is clogging up. Could be a couple of things. Still if its been a really long time, between tune up`s. Thats just normal maintenance that needs to be done.. Start with the easy stuff, (usually the cheap Parts) and work your way to the hard stuff. Fuel Pump etc...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i need to tune it up and go from there i guess thanks for the help!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks and will do a follow up[thumb]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Posted via FF MobileOccasional long crank when the engine is "partially" warm as described happens more often now that the "cool"weather (grin) is here..... Cold starts & warm restarts are relatively a "no-brainer" for the computer, but getting a partially warm start up right is more difficult, and sometimes takes longer. If this is what`s happening, there`s not much you can do other than the basic maint. suggested to make starting in general easier for it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.