Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question might have been asked already but, I'm gonna ask again. What is the redline (rpm) point for the 5 speed zetec engine? What is the best shift point as well?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
5500 i believe. someone correct me if i am wrong.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The redline I believe is 6750 for a stock focus.

The best shift point from what I have read is 6000-6200!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'd totaly hate to burn up my car buy serious over rev.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
The stock zetec doesn't make any power up high in the rpm range.

Stock hp starts to decrease past 5300-5500 rpms, no need to rev to 6000 or above.

·
Registered
39 Posts
yea, just look at the trq curve of the zetec. it flatlines after 5500 rpm so no need to wait the extra time for the shift. get a good 5in. tach with shift point light if u r having trouble shifting at the desired rpm range. ya set a desired rpm shift point and the light blinks when to shift. very handy tool mounts anywhere, i have mine just a hare above dash. ya can actually order it direct from Ford out of their online catalog : ]

[hatchet]

[driving]

·
Registered
170 Posts
There is a reason to shift after max hp that is if you shift at max hp in one gear you will be too low for best hp start in the next gear. Most racer shift pass max hp so they will be in the power band for the next gear.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Had One makes a valid point, also remember that just because it's not making maximum power, the car is still accelerating so depending on the situation (sprint before braking for a corner) a shift might not be advantageous.

Speedy Z, there is a rev limiter at 6750rpm to stop you from hurting your engine. Or that's what it's supposed to do, I'm not sure what would happen if every shift came after a few bounces off the rev limiter...

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
the red"line" is 6000 as seen on the european gauges. next time just run a search being you know it has been asked before.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
When you race your car only drops down about 1000-1200 rpms after shifting. So if peak power is from 4500 to 6000 then why shift at 6500? Shift at 6000 so your revs drop down to the high 4000's.

·
Registered
50 Posts
what is the real redline? because i've read 6200rpms, 6750 rpms and 6000rpms...which one is it? I don't have my focus yet, but am doing research. And don't say redline is the red part on the tach because the red part started at 8k on my rx7 but would rev all the way to 9k.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
BrandonDrecksage said:
what is the real redline? because i've read 6200rpms, 6750 rpms and 6000rpms...which one is it? I don't have my focus yet, but am doing research. And don't say redline is the red part on the tach because the red part started at 8k on my rx7 but would rev all the way to 9k.

redline-somewhere around 6200
rev limiter- 6750

·
Registered
153 Posts
BrandonDrecksage said:
And don't say redline is the red part on the tach because the red part started at 8k on my rx7 but would rev all the way to 9k.
The "red line" is exaclty that, just a part of the teach that is painted red, it has no physical significance, nothing changes in your car when the redline is reached; this is why your rx7 would rev to 9k. The rev limiter is where the computer cuts off fuel injection into the cylinders (6750 on zetec). The North American Focus does not have a "redline" on the tach, most likely for some ridiculous reason that will never be discovered by us mere mortals. The purpose of the red on a tach is to tell you that you probably aren't getting any more power at those rpms and are most likely going to cause some udue damage if you keep the needle there for too long.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sdwndr85 said:
get a good 5in. tach with shift point light if u r having trouble shifting at the desired rpm range. ya set a desired rpm shift point and the light blinks when to shift. very handy tool mounts anywhere, i have mine just a hare above dash. ya can actually order it direct from Ford out of their online catalog : ]

[hatchet]

[driving]
Thanks for the idea. Now my question is would the SE model (non tach.) gauge cluster be a direct refit to my dash? The reason I ask is that I don't want my in dash gauge cluster to look jumbled with the non used stock tach.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Alright speedy.....Get in the car..OK there--Now pull out into the street....Put it into first if it`s a manuel and floor it-------when you feel that there is no more pull you have shifted to late cuz your off the tq curve..........Do this till ya get it right for the next gear..If ya do it right you should get just a little chirp and more pull..........and so on....there is such a great diff. in the timing on these cars that they are all a bit different...Just drive it till you can feel the pull let up then look at the tack...then learn to shift at the peak pull ----If you don`t have one butt dyno and listen to the motor....

·
Registered
481 Posts
where do you get the tach from? i know that you need a tach adapter for the focus. i dont know if thats for every tack or if it excludes the one that ford makes. btw shift @ 6000-6200. if you want you can shift @ 5500. do both and see which one feels more comfortable and powerful.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
dan81 said:
The "red line" is exaclty that, just a part of the teach that is painted red, it has no physical significance, nothing changes in your car when the redline is reached; this is why your rx7 would rev to 9k. The rev limiter is where the computer cuts off fuel injection into the cylinders (6750 on zetec). The North American Focus does not have a "redline" on the tach, most likely for some ridiculous reason that will never be discovered by us mere mortals. The purpose of the red on a tach is to tell you that you probably aren't getting any more power at those rpms and are most likely going to cause some udue damage if you keep the needle there for too long.
bingo, and thats why my response was simple. 6k as it is... hint why i said red"line"...dunno how such a simple question goes into answers with power curve's, limiters and all that fun stuff.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts