Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking of getting a red carbon fiber dash kit for my svt. the only pics ive seen are the close up pics on the websites. i want to see wut it looks like on the car. anyone have any pics ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
i've also been looking into some interior dash kits to maybe add some flavor to my interior. however, a lot of the kits i've seen look really cheap. does anybody know of a top quality dash kit that is maybe even made out of real cf and not just "carbon fiber look"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,948 Posts
imprtslyr0223 said:
i've also been looking into some interior dash kits to maybe add some flavor to my interior. however, a lot of the kits i've seen look really cheap. does anybody know of a top quality dash kit that is maybe even made out of real cf and not just "carbon fiber look"?
Steeda has a carbon fibre dash it, but not too sure if it is real C/F.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only think i dont like about the steeda kit, is its only like 3 peices.
im wanting something to the gauges, center console, radio bezel, ac vents, door panels, fog light controls, the whole 9 yards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
The CF dash kits look pretty decent if you can install them right. I would like to see the Red CF and Black CF kits on an 05 model as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,805 Posts
Poney said:
the only think i dont like about the steeda kit, is its only like 3 peices.
im wanting something to the gauges, center console, radio bezel, ac vents, door panels, fog light controls, the whole 9 yards
I also thought that the steeda was a 3 piece kit... because of their picture on the website.

However, I have heard that it's more like a 10-14 piece kit... it is complete... at least that's what I recall hearing from 1 member who has purchased it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
CF is in extreme shortage right now. The fiber hybrid that you speak of is kevlar(red) and Carbon fiber (black). No one is really making it right no because of the war, and Air Bus. The us government and AIR BUS (air plane maker) are buying up all the CF as it's woven. In fact most of us have been ripped off when buying "CF" parts for our cars. If it doesn't say "certified carbon fiber" it's not CF. It's dyed fiber glass, dyed and woven to look just like CF.

Due to these shortages in real carbon fiber, red, blue, green, yellow are no longer being made. If you have found a place that has this stuff, it's almost gauranteed that it's a fake. Of course the companies making this stuff are not going to tell you that it's not real CF, it looks real enough, they know you're not going to question it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^thats fine with me. i not trying to loose any weight in the dash. i just want it for looks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
^haha yeah. i remember seeing something called benevento or something. it was a dash kit in a focus fanatics magazine a long while back. i don't know if you can find it anywhere but it was a pretty nice kit if i remember.
 

·
Focused Focus
Joined
·
6,403 Posts
I have about 3 yards of the red carbon hybrid right now that i have had for 2 years. If anyone needs any.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
ncslavens said:
CF is in extreme shortage right now. The fiber hybrid that you speak of is kevlar(red) and Carbon fiber (black). No one is really making it right no because of the war, and Air Bus. The us government and AIR BUS (air plane maker) are buying up all the CF as it's woven. In fact most of us have been ripped off when buying "CF" parts for our cars. If it doesn't say "certified carbon fiber" it's not CF. It's dyed fiber glass, dyed and woven to look just like CF.

Due to these shortages in real carbon fiber, red, blue, green, yellow are no longer being made. If you have found a place that has this stuff, it's almost gauranteed that it's a fake. Of course the companies making this stuff are not going to tell you that it's not real CF, it looks real enough, they know you're not going to question it.
He is right, most of ebay carbon fiber stuff is dyed fiebrglass. They are still making kevlar for hybrids but it is not the normal 5.7oz it is 7.5oz and is very very very very very very expensive because it is the dual twill. Some companies can still get carbon but they have to have some major ties with the companies. I am local to composites fab here in Idaho and I asked them about it. They said a lot of comapnies are going out of business because of this. They are lucky because they have major ties with Boeing so they can get all the fabric they want! Also their is carbon fiber in the market but it is second quality and this is what most companies are using because it is the only thing they can get. Sucks that the dyed fiberglass looks identical to carbon. But that really doesn't matter when say a ViS hood is 90% resin and fiberglass and 10% carbon if that anyway
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top