Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get red brake calipers for my Black SVT? DO they sell red brake calipers or do I have to paint them? If so, what paint is good in color texture (I want bright red so that they can be visible from a distance), paint durability, and heat resistance. Any suggestions about red calipers would help a lot.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
sounds like a cool idea I would also be interested in doing this

·
Registered
671 Posts
My buddy did his with engine block paint and it looks good. He taped off everything and painted them right on the disc.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I wonder how much that would cost at a shop im not a real big DIY guy

·
Registered
671 Posts
its real easy. I am going to do mine when it warms up. Just tape off..and put on a coat at a time and see how many it takes to look good. Going to a shop they could powder coat them for (this is a guess) 100 a side.. maybe 100 for both. Then they would last longer. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I want blue paint though not red so it matches the interior

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Powdercoating brake calipers is a pain because you have to take the caliper off the car...and reinstall and bleed the lines. Plus, depending on the method used to powdercoat, you have to protect the threads and pistons. It will look good when done, however.

·
Registered
671 Posts
You can get a bunch of different colors from a store. Just DIY, maybe practice on something if you are not confident with your painting skills.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah I bought Brake Caliper paint at advanced auto in red and it worked great. I just took a wire brush to the calipers and i taped newspaper where I didnt want paint to get and i put like 50 coats on each side or something i used the whole can. I would wait about 10 or 15 mins in between sprays.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Hmm definate cheap mod to make the car looker sportier its on my to do list along with Hoes Foglights

·
Registered
374 Posts
Focus_ryter said:
My buddy did his with engine block paint and it looks good. He taped off everything and painted them right on the disc.
I did mine a few months ago and it looks great. Take off wheels clean calipers with degreaser and toothbrush after using a steel wire brush. Dry and then tape everything off and paint with engine block paint. Do 3-4 light coats instead of one heavy coat (to avoid running) and voila.....real easy[;)] .

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I did it to my 02' miata... The kit came with brake cleaner, paint (to part mix) and a brush... I just took off all four tires... Painted the calipers.. let it dry over night.. (about 8=10 hrs.) then poped the tires back on.

** I know some can be done faster... but by taking my time and letting it dry, it turned out GREAT!!!![thumb]

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Where did you get the kit at??? and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I did mine on my last car. Just used regular old high-temp paint. I used a brush to paint, instead of spray, so I didn't have to mask anything off, or worry about overspray.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used a Caliper painting kit from a local autosports shop (www.espdesign.co.uk) to do my calipers. The Kit had everything you needed to do the job including Caliper cleaner, Caliper Paint and Hardener and a fine paint brush.

Painting the Calipers with them still on the car is a doddle - you just need to be careful not to get the paint over the disk or anywhere other than the actual Caliper itself.

You also need to make sure that you leave them long enough to dry - which in the states shouldn't be an issue. Over here in the UK - i had to leave it in the garage for 24 hours to dry properly.

Shots from my car,

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
gives it a real clean look thanks for the pictures

1 - 20 of 23 Posts