Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
04 ZX3 SVT Sonic Blue - 137k
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I got a pretty minty single owner SVT a couple days ago, and with all of my 'new' cars I like to do a full preventive servicing.

The car was taken to regular dealer servicing up through 90k, when (I believe) it was given to the guy's son. The dealer service dropped off and the car was driven less, indicating a pretty big change in the car's life.

I have a few things on my list that should extend the car's life:
Pull valve cover and check for sludge
Timing belt likely
Preemptive thermostat housing/coolant flush
Fuel filter and fuel system cleaner in the following tank of gas? Not sure if the cleaner is necessary
Transmission oil change, will use Lucas Oil Stabilizer as an additive
Engine oil change, with 1/2 qt Lucas and full synthetic motorcraft 5w30
Power steering fluid flush? I had a PS pump fail at around 150k in my 06 zx3
Motor mounts... They are in decent shape, but it's just good to change and will make the car feel even better.
Misc suspension bushings, and perhaps a little bit of rust prevention with a surface rust converter. The underside is clean but there is some surface rust forming on the rear subframe.

Any other ideas are welcome! I know that the fuel pumps also die on these. This list will be implemented over the coming months.

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,519 Posts
Check the spark plugs and air filter too. Maybe a TB and IAC cleaning.
If your motor mounts are fine then I'd leave them alone. I've read many times on here that aftermarket ones often fail in short order and one or more of the original Ford mounts are no longer available.
Engine oil stabilizer in a transmission... definitely not a good idea.

·
Registered
327 Posts
....Engine oil stabilizer in a transmission... definitely not a good idea.
True story! Changing the trans fluid is a good idea (not flushing but rather a drain and refill 3-4 times), but including an additive isn’t something I’d do.

With the possible exception of gasoline, if you use the proper fluids at the proper intervals, you don’t need to use any additives or extras to get tons of miles out of it.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,533 Posts
Timing belt first. Do the water pump at the same time. Power steering definitely. Use synthetic ATF only. Remove the return line from the reservoir. Plug return to reservoir with a short section of rubber hose with a bolt hose clamped. Put return hose into an empty jug. Remove coil wire and fuel pump fuse. Crank engine for 10 seconds and refill reservoir. Continue until clean fluid is coming out the return hose. About 3 quarts needed. Don't forget to turn the steering wheel back and forth near the end to flush the rack. Change the fuel filter. Replace the vaccum lines if black plastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine oil stabilizer in a transmission... definitely not a good idea.
Thanks Cobra, I'll leave the mounts alone. And I'll leave the Lucas out of the trans, I was pretty sure it was just gear oil with some zinc added in, but a team of engineers have a lot more brain power than I do. I'll stick to OEM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Lead, I'll be referencing your guide when I do the flush! Seems like youve done it before!
I didn't even think about doing water pump, but it's basically the same procedure as TB until the pump is pulled off.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Maintenance wise, you should "pull" each of the wheels/tires to verify the brake-pads and rotor conditions.
Also take a look at each of the calipers... see if you have any uneven brake-wear...
Also inspect each wheel inner-section... that can tell you the history of your SVTF...

Plus, forgot to mention, take a look at the front sway-bar end-links... If you need to replace... Don't use MOOG versions... I did & they didn't last... so I went "Massive Speed System" ones...

Based on my experience with my SVTF... I replaced the rear-shocks & installed Ford OE-style SVT front strut-assemblies.
Mine had way less mileage then yours & I could tell the originals on mine were "done".... probably due to all the bad roads around me...

Unfortunately, The Ford-Racing/SVTF kit with just front assembled struts & rear shocks ONLY is long gone... this one "M-3000-ZX3A" is left

1 - 8 of 8 Posts