Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its flex fuel and ive been running e85 the lately and have noticed a slight increase in performance... but it made me think... what is the recommended fuel type? im sure its in the manual somewhere but does someone know off the top of their head? is it e85? is it 91? 89? is 87 worse than the other 2 premium blends of gas? thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the Duratec Ti-VCT Performance section

LONG thread stickied here with plenty of opinions to look at while you wait for replies.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yes definitely check the premium gas thread. I have the same car and have run 91 since day one. I've tried 89 for a few tanks and preferred how the car behaves on premium. Highway (80km/h or 100 steadystate) I can get 600km from a tank and in my suburbanite nightmare between 400 to upwards of 550 depending on all the other variables. Your most objective option is to run 4-5 tanks of a certain grade from a certain station, keep notes and then switch to another option for some tanks. What works for me in Canada may not apply so much in Anaheim. Everythimg else you read is just opinion, even my experience. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Read your manual too. Premium doesn't make that much of a difference at all imo. Stay away from Arco gas though..

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Read your manual too. Premium doesn't make that much of a difference at all imo. Stay away from Arco gas though..
The only reason the engine doesn't self destruct on 87 octane is the lowered effective compression ratio of the variable valve timing (Ti-VCT), plus the direct injection which injects liquid fuel directly into the combustion chamber rather than into the intake manifold where it would premix and vaporize in the manifold which is more prone to auto ignition. 12:1 compression on port fuel injection would require premium fuel to attempt to avoid detonation.

There is evidence to support the theory of the engine detuning itself on regular fuel, sure it's not that dramatic thanks to the car advancing timing right to the verge of knock for fuel economy and power.

The last port injected 2.0 L duratec was only running 10.5:1 compression or less.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
[popcorn]

Maybe another fuel thread that will end with users banned and a thread locked...

91 or 93 is the best fuel... *duck in the bushes*

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
The only reason the engine doesn't self destruct on 87 octane is the lowered effective compression ratio of the variable valve timing (Ti-VCT), plus the direct injection which injects liquid fuel directly into the combustion chamber rather than into the intake manifold where it would premix and vaporize in the manifold which is more prone to auto ignition. 12:1 compression on port fuel injection would require premium fuel to attempt to avoid detonation.

There is evidence to support the theory of the engine detuning itself on regular fuel, sure it's not that dramatic thanks to the car advancing timing right to the verge of knock for fuel economy and power.

The last port injected 2.0 L duratec was only running 10.5:1 compression or less.
The VVT doesnt play a lot of part to keep the engine safe , the knock sensor is very fast and from what I have seen does far more then anything to keep the engine safe , in my opinion 87 shouls never be used in this engine , 91 and for best MPG and performance 93

Tom

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
The VVT doesnt play a lot of part to keep the engine safe , the knock sensor is very fast and from what I have seen does far more then anything to keep the engine safe , in my opinion 87 shouls never be used in this engine , 91 and for best MPG and performance 93

Tom
I still stand by my E0 91 that I've been using since day 1. If the station I fill at had E0 93 I'd run that. I personally prefer running E0 91 over E10 93.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for your input everyone im deff goin 91 now... specially with these gas prices! I noticed no mentioning of the e85 tho? does no one recommend runnin it in our focuses?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
thanks for your input everyone im deff goin 91 now... specially with these gas prices! I noticed no mentioning of the e85 tho? does no one recommend runnin it in our focuses?
No no no no no

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
thanks for your input everyone im deff goin 91 now... specially with these gas prices! I noticed no mentioning of the e85 tho? does no one recommend runnin it in our
and like I said. .. stay away from arco

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
thanks for your input everyone im deff goin 91 now... specially with these gas prices! I noticed no mentioning of the e85 tho? does no one recommend runnin it in our
and like I said. .. stay away from arco
Yes E85 isn't recommended by most as it costs too much per mile to run not just because it's currently more expensive than regular or in some cases premium gasoline it's also nearly 30% less efficient based on the EPA test loop so you get scant to nil gains in performance for more $ and fewer miles per tank. E85 isn't worth it.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
e85 not only does worse on mpg but it also the only unregulated fuel sold at the pump and is rarely a higher octane like people talk about it being

The reason it is unregulated is they know it isnt up to standard and that it wouldnt pass the test to put a sticker on the pump like all other fuels are required by law so if it had to pass these regulations it would be cost prohibitive and no one would make it

Stay away from e85 it isnt what it appears to be , the testing I did between local e85 and VP Fuels E85 was day and night on the dyno

Tom

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes definitely check the premium gas thread. I have the same car and have run 91 since day one. I've tried 89 for a few tanks and preferred how the car behaves on premium. Highway (80km/h or 100 steadystate) I can get 600km from a tank and in my suburbanite nightmare between 400 to upwards of 550 depending on all the other variables. Your most objective option is to run 4-5 tanks of a certain grade from a certain station, keep notes and then switch to another option for some tanks. What works for me in Canada may not apply so much in Anaheim. Everythimg else you read is just opinion, even my experience. Have fun!
man I don't think I've ever seen 600kms on my car (also in GTA). my stints on the highway are limited to about 10kms, everything else is city.

city driving just kills the mileage. I'm always between 9 and 10L/100kms

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
city driving just kills the mileage. I'm always between 9 and 10L/100kms
Wow you must have a lead foot or doing everyday bumper to bumper traffic in Toronto...

I have a lead foot in the city (MTL) worst I had was 8.8L/100km with the 5sp on 91/93.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I <3 e85.
Brazilians <3 e100 [:D]

They must have two fuel tank tho

EDIT:

The higher fuel efficiency of E100 (compared to methanol) in high performance race cars resulted in Indianapolis 500 races in 2007 and 2008 being run on 100% fuel-grade ethanol.[147]
We FAR FAR away from that on the street version E85.. Ethanol ain't no BS tho

·
Registered
976 Posts
The recommended fuel, regardless of debate, is basic 'ole 87 regular fuel. Its what the car is designed to run off of (again..regardless of if you think running higher octane gives more performance) and is what is in the '13 manual - there is no mention in the '13 manual of improving performance with higher octane fuels. Been running 87 almost the whole time in my '13 (50K miles) with no issues that I can tell. I have done some experiments running higher octane fuel and not seen any noticeable difference in mpg for my 75% hwy driving. Others will have different results. Only the dyno can tell for sure!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts