Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every discussion of clutches that i can find talks about hi-HP and racing applications.

what recommendations do people have for a replacement clutch for street use, everyday driving and maybe a little fun on the weekends (but no racing, no 1/4, no hard drops, no hi-RPM stuff).

my goals are:

1. to drive my car like i always do (it hasn't been over 4600rpm and it probably won't ever)

2. to be as smooth as i can - right now with the stock clutch/flywheel, going from 1st -> 2nd feels like shifting a goddamn school bus.

3. to get something that engages smoothly, doesn't slip when i lean on it a little bit, and lasts a long time.

i assume a big part of my being happy will come with replacing the stock flywheel along with the clutch (what's the stock flywheel in a zx3 non-svt - like 22lbs? insane).

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i shift on an uphill or i take off quickly, i sometimes hear a bit of an odd squeak.

i just hit 36k miles. i usually downshift when i stop, so i assumed i was wearing my clutch a little more than someone who just uses the brakes.

maybe the clutch doesn't need to be replaced now (and i'm definitely waiting until i get slippage that i can notice before replacing it) but i plan on having this car until it refuses to move under it's own power, so i know i'll have to replace the clutch eventually. [:)]

·
Registered
732 Posts
well i just think you don't need a new clutch till the one u have is slipping or your producing alot of HP. Getting a clutch like you want would kinda be hard to find i suppose too.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'd have to pay someone else to do the work anyway (i live in an apt. complex and don't have any tools here) so that's going to be a big part of the hit, too.

i don't think i'd be happy with a new, stock one. maybe if i could just get a lighter flywheel, but i thought the two were specifically mated.

i wonder why ford used such a huge flywheel in the first place. there's gotta be a logical reason for it somewhere. i know i didn't buy a race car or anything (what do you expect for $14k?) but i'd like something less cumbersome to shift.

·
Registered
17 Posts
clutchmaster stage 1 or 2 or centerforce. If you want nice shifts get the steeda short-throw tri-ax shifter, I love mine.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Off topic but......you never go over 4600 RPM......Man you make me look like a Zetec abuser.......whenever my engine is at temperature, I usually pushed to 5400 RPM......

Those that make me a criminal?.....

Peace...

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Clutchmasters stage 1 or 2? Yea right.

Centerforce? If you wanna see all the ones that have blown I up I will gladly show you.

Just stay with a stock clutch, it is fine and most folks I have seen using them with up to 150 whp have been all good.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heh.

vassili95 said:
Off topic but......you never go over 4600 RPM......Man you make me look like a Zetec abuser.......whenever my engine is at temperature, I usually pushed to 5400 RPM......

Those that make me a criminal?.....

Peace...
i didn't say not revving my car above 4600 was normal, just saying that's how i drive. i spend a lot more concentration on being as smooth as i can be. and i'm paranoid about having something serious go wrong before i have this thing paid off (i have ~2 years left and now it's out of warranty.)

didn't mean to affront any hi-RPM folks, just talking about my driving habits as it relates to my process for picking my next clutch. [;)]

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
get a short throw shifter and pust the clutch in just a tinny tinnnnnny bit when shift gears. it will be like an automatic smoothness wise if your fast and good. Are you?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
if you're looking for stock-style, i have sold and used beck-arnley units for years now and never had a problem. they're nothing special, but the quality is good and they come with a lifetime warranty.

Mike

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Why are you all recomending aftermarket clutches for a car with no mods?

If he was making in excess of 150 whp those parts would be great, well the ACT or spec maybe.

Stay with a stock clutch till you have sufficient mods to warrant or NEED better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts