Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Ive seen plenty of replacement wheel bearings out there and genuine ones. Prices vary and i was wondering which ones are a good set to get.

Are there differences between them? ie performance wise? or are they all the same. Is it better to get a whole hub repair kit or just the replacement bearings?

Btw im looking for a set for a 2002 Zx3 (zetec) with ABS and Advanctrac. looking to do all 4.

Thanks in advance.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
You'll need to press out the front ones out of the spindle's & press in the new ones. For the rear as you said= bearings or hubs w/ bearings. I'd get the hubs w/ bearings. Not sure which ones to get= brand wise. For the front, when I had a [r of svt spindles I had sold, I installed motorcraft ones. For the rear I'd have to check out the manufacturs vs prices.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah,

Looking to get the local shop to do it all, as i dont have a press and i dont think i have the right tools.

Best place to buy Motorcraft replacements?

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
NAPA sells the brand that is the original manufacturer. I took a free bearing class near the first dealership I worked at... I found out because I recognized the knuckles they had used for their example displays.

Lemme look for a picture.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

by any chance ( i know im pushing my luck ) would any one have the part numbers for the front and rear bearings?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Thanks guys.

by any chance ( i know im pushing my luck ) would any one have the part numbers for the front and rear bearings?
That'd depend on what manufactor your using.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something that would stand up to oem quality, happy to use motorcraft.

Also are there different part numbers for 05 hubs?

·
Registered
521 Posts
The hub itself is probably the same number as later years, but the knuckle casting is certainly different. Take a look at rockauto.com and compare between years. For bearings, my first choice is Timken and my second choice is SKF. I choose one of those even when OEM is available.

Toby

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
What about Timken bearings?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys,

will grab some Timken ones, look like good prices. Local FOMOCO quoted me 250 a bearing for the front with ABS and 320 for rear ones.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is $36.99 an alright price for a TIMKEN Part # 510056 wheel bearings?
Thats what RockAuto is showing.

Are the bearings universal for all 4 wheels if you have disc brakes in each corner?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
is $36.99 an alright price for a TIMKEN Part # 510056 wheel bearings?
Thats what RockAuto is showing.

Are the bearings universal for all 4 wheels if you have disc brakes in each corner?
No^^^^^ The front ones are pressed in to the spindle's & for the rear ones I'd get the whole assembly meaning the hub.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Judging from the part numbers on RockAuto, the bearing for the rear drum and rear hub appear to be the same. SKF GRW239 is listed as a replacement for 1A034 (rear disc hub) and 1A049 (rear drum). I tried to cross-reference with the official Ford website, but they don't list the bearing on its own, just the hub and drum assemblies, so no help there.

Front and rear bearings are definitely different. Looks like RockAuto doesn't have Timken for the rear. I'd go SKF.

Toby

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Hi All,

Ive seen plenty of replacement wheel bearings out there and genuine ones. Prices vary and i was wondering which ones are a good set to get.

Are there differences between them? ie performance wise? or are they all the same. Is it better to get a whole hub repair kit or just the replacement bearings?

Btw im looking for a set for a 2002 Zx3 (zetec) with ABS and Advanctrac. looking to do all 4.

Thanks in advance.
So what'd you end up going with? What makes you say the front bearings need replacement?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im going to get the Timkin set from RockAuto.

Whilst driving the car is making a low humming sound going over bumps but also driving on the highway.

I dont think its the shocks (well i hope not) as the car drives quite well around corners. ive already changed the sway bar links front and ive got new ones for the rear on the way.

Other things i think it could be,
strut tops
LCA bushes (or all bushes)
Engine mounts.

The sound disappears under acceleration on the highway, but if im coasting it sounds like its rubbing for want of a better description.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
im going to get the Timkin set from RockAuto.

Whilst driving the car is making a low humming sound going over bumps but also driving on the highway.

I dont think its the shocks (well i hope not) as the car drives quite well around corners. ive already changed the sway bar links front and ive got new ones for the rear on the way.

Other things i think it could be,
strut tops
LCA bushes (or all bushes)
Engine mounts.

The sound disappears under acceleration on the highway, but if im coasting it sounds like its rubbing for want of a better description.
The sound disappears cause your hearing the engine. I have a similar noise, which I believe is a rear bearing. Its been that way for a while now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts