Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the 2 peice in today, and had a question about it.

I have heard from focaltech that the water pump pulley sometimes comes loose, my question is wouldn't it just be the same if I left it off and just installed the crank pulley...I mean the water pump pulley doesn't do anything performance oriented right?

Also, do you actually need an impact gun to install like the instructions say?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The reason that the fc 2pc uses the stock belt, is that it swaps two pullies. The crank is large oem, and the water pump pulley is small oem. So they swap them out so the waterpump is underdrived, and the crank pulley is underdrived. The water pump pulley sometimes come loose because it isn't torqued down properly. It's very hard to torque it down manually because the pulley will want to move, there are 3 bolts on it, and it's impossible to torque them down the correct way without an impact gun. So there. If you wanted a pulley set that just did the crank, you picked the wrong one, afx is the way to go. If you order the 2 pc, install the 2pc.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't find out that the water pump pulley cam loose un til I had already ordered it.

Also, I got a great deal.

$75 for the FC 2 Peice set shipped.

·
Registered
565 Posts
wow thats a great price blk. I paid 68 for just the udp and a new belt. yeah you will need either the impact wrench or a breaker bar for the torque to be correct. Just follow the instructions on installing it and you should be fine. Mine went on w/ no problems (after I bought a new belt cause the one given to me did not fit) Itll take you like 30 mins to slap that puppy on. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well since I lack the necessary tools I'm just going to take it to a guy I know who has a speed shop, cost me about $20 he says.

·
Registered
565 Posts
yeah 20 bucks is not alot at all, look at it this way, most places charge around 120 to 140 for the UPD set that you have, so if you got it for 75 bucks and then pay someone 20 bucks to install it your still about 30 bucks shy of what it should have cost you!!!!!!!! [thumbs]

·
Registered
565 Posts
[thumb]

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
check the waterpump pulley bolts after driving it for a few hours... then the next day... then the next few days... and then a week... if everything is still good and great then u dont need to worry about it.

A

·
0 Posts
ugh...

If your water pump pulley falls off, you cooling system will not work and your engine will overheat badly. But you shouldnt have to worry about it too much as long as you torque them down good. Although it is a real bitch to torque the screws down. Just use a LONG screw driver between the other two screws so it will lock in place to where you will be pulling the wrench and the screwdriver in opposite directions. Thats a little confusing when you read it, but if you are able to figure it out, it works good. As long as you dont use a wrench too long, you shouldnt have to worry about overtorqing it. But it NEEDS to be on there good. Otherwise, you will be screwed. The impact gun it says it needs is for the crank pulley. You dont need it. You can make enough impact with just a long wrench to torque it down correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts