Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
."...special Ford warranty that is suppose to be practically for the life of the car" sounds a little sketchy to me. I would definitely look into the fine print on that. If it is just a verbal statement from a dealer, it is meaningless.
I was told at the time it was just the trans components that were covered long term, because Ford knew of the problem with the automatic stick shift.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I was told at the time it was just the trans components that were covered long term, because Ford knew of the problem with the automatic stick shift.
So, it sounds to me that they gave you a partial truth statement. Yes, Ford created a "customer satisfaction" extension of the transmission warranty that covers your 2012. There are two separate components to this warranty extension that are discussed in detail elsewhere on this forum so I won't go into detail. 14M01 covers the leaking seal/clutch pack issue and is good for 7 years or 100K miles, whichever comes first. 14M02 covers the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and goes for 10 years or 150K miles. Based on what I've seen and experienced personally, if you need a TCM replacement a single replacement of that component may be a lasting repair. The same cannot be said for the clutch issues. They can put in a new set of seals and a new clutch pack and this fix can last less than 10K miles (which did happen to me). So, unfortunately, you are already past the time limit on 14M01 and to have this work done at your cost is on the order of $2000. So, unless they have you in some extra special warranty deal, you are in the same boat with the rest of us and you are not "covered long term."

For your reading pleasure, Google Detroit Free Press and Focus Transmission and you'll find that Ford did indeed know that there were major problems with this transmission but their response to the issue has be woefully inept.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Since you're getting the trans repaired, maybe drive it around 50K miles and dump it. Or, drive it until it dies b/c a 2012 won't have much value anyway in a few years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just got the car back today. Total cost of repair was 1768.42, but it can with a free key cutting and programming (I provided the key). With my Alpha Warranty I only payed 318.10, which is nice, but considering that I had to pay for the alpha warranty, I really just payed for it out of pocket and get a free warranty for 4 years.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts