Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just ventured into the focus life by purchasing a 2012 SEL. I honestly regret it as 2 weeks into my venture the transmission went out. I did some research on the car after purchase before the trans issue and saw the terrible reviews of the car. I thought It would be ok because 99% of those reviews were 1 year after the car was made, so I thought my 124k mile car would already have that issue sorted out.

I may be saved from grace however because the car has an unlimited mile 4 year warranty that covers most items. It doesnt cover the clutch, but it was replaced 2k miles ago.
Anyway, The car is in the shop getting diagnosed as we speak. They are pulling the transmission out to see what could be the cause of the issue.

My question is: Should I keep the car? Is this going to be a re-occurring issue with the transmission. If the clutch was replaced 2k miles ago, there is obviously alot of money that has been put into that transmission.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So let me get this straight. You bought the car and the previous owner had just replaced the clutches within the DPS6 automatic transmission. You drove it 2K miles and the clutch is failing already and it is not covered by the warranty you bought with the car? How is that being saved from grace?

Did you buy the car off a Ford Dealer, a Used Car Dealer or was it private sale? The person you bought the car from should be assisting you in making it right. I would think that whoever did the work on the transmission should be addressing the issue regardless of the ownership change. I never hurts to ask.

As far as keeping the car or not; from what I've read, once repaired you should be good for about 60K miles or longer. There are specific conditions that accelerate the condition and you should learn what those are and drive it accordingly. You can also look at Tom's Tune as he claims that he's pretty near resolved the related programming issues. Tom's username on this forum is 1turbofocus and the link in the previous sentence will take you to a thread related to his product offering. Give him a call and have a chat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it from a used car dealership. Infact i will attach a picture of the review i left them. Looking at their reviews, they do this alot. The repair took place back in 2018 so the repair facility wouldnt be liable. The dealership its at right now says it probably isnt the clutch from the codes being pulled. They are trying everything they can to make it not be the TCM because then ford pays it. I have an aphla warranty. 20200107_161404.jpg 20200113_130606.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reviewing the tune thing, that would void the warranty. Its not a factory warranty and consumer arbitration is locked out on the warranty so I cant go with any after market tune.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Oh, I see. The car sat on the lot for some time then and the repair warranty expired. So what symptoms are you experiencing?

Regarding Tom's Tune, I understand that you have the capability to back out the tune and return it to factory. You'd have to be comfortable with following the process that is provided.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First noticed it doing 87 on freeway with cruise set. Had service transmission warning. It only popped on a in/decline. Even if it was a small one. Nothing but the warning. Then it started to go from 86-88 mph with cruise engaged. City driving nothing for a week. Then it started to shift rough every other gear. Then if you pressed on the gas it would just go into neutral.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at the vin report it didnt sit at one lot, it moved from dealership to auction to dealership to auction.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not familiar with that term; what does it do and why do they think it failed? How much is it going to set you back? Can you point it out from the photo of the gear set?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was told a clock gear is same as synchro: A synchronizer, or "synchro," lets the collar and gear synchronize their speeds while they're already in contact but before the dog teeth engage. Each manufacturer's synchro is slightly different than the others, but the basic idea is the same.
- What are manual transmission synchronizers?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully covered under my warranty. I will post the reciept when it is out of the shop. The shop has the transmission out and they say its warped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So update on this fiasco. The car is covered under the warranty somewhat. The warranty will cover 1400. The shop says it will be around 1600. So out of pocket will be about 300 because my warranty has a $100 deductible. Ill have the reciept to show all parts soon. I have to wait for the parts to get in from Detroit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am more than happy about my negligence only costing me $300. However ive owned the car for 2 months now and have only been able to drive it 2 weeks. Im just pieved at the shitership that sold me it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also something funny to note is i ended up watching the video you pulled the picture from trying to figure out what the syncro is aswell lmao

1 - 17 of 17 Posts