Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Focus SE 2001 DOHC

Could this recall cause my check engine light to stay on?

Recall Date:
NOV 06, 2002
Model Affected:
2001 Ford Focus
Summary:
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ZETEC ENGINES, LOOSE OR BROKEN ATTACHMENTS AND MISROUTED BATTERY CABLES COULD LEAD TO CABLE INSULATION DAMAGE.
Consequences:
THIS, IN TURN, COULD CAUSE THE BATTERY CABLES TO SHORT RESULTING IN HEAT DAMAGE TO THE CABLES. BESIDES HEAT DAMAGE, THE "CHECK ENGINE" LIGHT MAY ILLUMINATE, THE VEHICLE MAY FAIL TO START, OR SMOKE, MELTING, OR FIRE COULD ALSO OCCUR.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE BATTERY CABLES FOR THE CONDITION OF THE CABLE INSULATION AND PROPER TIGHTENING OF THE TERMINAL ENDS. AS NECESSARY, CABLES WILL BE REROUTED, RETAINING CLIPS INSTALLED, AND DAMAGED BATTERY CABLES REPLACED. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN FEBRUARY 10, 2003. OWNERS WHO DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-866-436-7332.
Potential Units Affected:
Notes:
FORD MOTOR COMPANY

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2001/ford/focus/recalls/index.html#ixzz1Tw2DKJdm

What code would it send?

Right now the codes are:
p0135
p0141
And I've done it all.

Replaced fuse 18.
Fixed two burnt wires.
Replaced plug wires.
Replaced O2 sensors. (bosch and ntk)
Haven't checked voltage yet, but haven't been able to find a good tutorial on that one.

A tech told me that if the person before me had the car for a extended period of time with the wire short and it kept sending signals it could wear out part of the computer. What are my absolute cheapest options for replacing a pcm, short of junking it [scratch]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Probably not.
The likelihood that only the O2 heaters would be affected is very narrow, if not nonexistent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Focus SE 2001 DOHC

What code would it send?

Right now the codes are:
p0135
p0141
And I've done it all.

Replaced fuse 18.
Fixed two burnt wires.
Replaced plug wires.
Haven't checked voltage yet, but haven't been able to find a good tutorial on that one.
[scratch]
Did you ever figure out the error???

I had this error show up
P0141 Vent Control Valve Circuit Malf

If I clear the error it stays off for about 15 min, however once I restart in shows up with in 5 seconds each time..

Going to start with O2 sensor this morning

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Did you ever figure out the error???

I had this error show up
P0141 Vent Control Valve Circuit Malf

If I clear the error it stays off for about 15 min, however once I restart in shows up with in 5 seconds each time..

Going to start with O2 sensor this morning
Your booklet is mistaken. PO141 is a H02 sensor problem. That stands for heated oxygen sensor meaning it has at least 3 wires. Here is the Ford DTC for

From our list of DTC codes in Ford Focus Technical Chat Stickied threads on the first page said:
P0141 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-125) See DTC P0135
Also please start your own thread, give a description of your vehicle, and your problems as best as you can. That will help us to determine what your problem is.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Focus SE 2001 DOHC

Could this recall cause my check engine light to stay on?

Recall Date:
NOV 06, 2002
Model Affected:
2001 Ford Focus
Summary:
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ZETEC ENGINES, LOOSE OR BROKEN ATTACHMENTS AND MISROUTED BATTERY CABLES COULD LEAD TO CABLE INSULATION DAMAGE.
Consequences:
THIS, IN TURN, COULD CAUSE THE BATTERY CABLES TO SHORT RESULTING IN HEAT DAMAGE TO THE CABLES. BESIDES HEAT DAMAGE, THE "CHECK ENGINE" LIGHT MAY ILLUMINATE, THE VEHICLE MAY FAIL TO START, OR SMOKE, MELTING, OR FIRE COULD ALSO OCCUR.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE BATTERY CABLES FOR THE CONDITION OF THE CABLE INSULATION AND PROPER TIGHTENING OF THE TERMINAL ENDS. AS NECESSARY, CABLES WILL BE REROUTED, RETAINING CLIPS INSTALLED, AND DAMAGED BATTERY CABLES REPLACED. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN FEBRUARY 10, 2003. OWNERS WHO DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-866-436-7332.
Potential Units Affected:
Notes:
FORD MOTOR COMPANY

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2001/ford/focus/recalls/index.html#ixzz1Tw2DKJdm

What code would it send?

Right now the codes are:
p0135
p0141
And I've done it all.

Replaced fuse 18.
Fixed two burnt wires.
Replaced plug wires.

A tech told me that if the person before me had the car for a extended period of time with the wire short and it kept sending signals it could wear out part of the computer. What are my absolute cheapest options for replacing a pcm, short of junking it [scratch]
wow my buddy just spent a whole weekend redoing his battery cables because of this same issue, and mine looks like crap as well i though i should do it like he did but if this is a recall and if it hasnt been done will they still honor it 11 yrs later, when i worked at the dealership we did brake master cycling harness recalls on old vics and rangers. My battery terminals look like they are about to come apart any minute, insulation is super brittle im scared to touch it until i have new cables.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts