Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, help me determine if this feels fishy or I'm being oversensitive...

I purchased a 2014 ST Sat., Aug. 30. The dealer did not mention this recall at the time of purchase. Tuesday, 9/2, about mid-day, my dealer calls and tells me about the recall and gives me the option of nullifying our deal or taking a loaner until it is fixed. I say bring me the loaner as I like the car. The guy shows up in the loaner, I sign the loaner agreement and a paper stating that I still own the ST but it is taken back for a recall, and I am still responsible to insure and make payments. Ok, bummer, and the loaner is a base Focus sedan, bummer again, but it'll be fixed 4-6 weeks.

I come home and do some more research and discover the letter from Ford to the dealers, implying that the dealer should not have let me test drive or buy the car! Additionally, I review the paperwork for the loaner a bit more closely and I see that the agreement stating I own the ST and am responsible for insurance and payments is dated to 8/30/14 (the day of purchase), not the day of signing.

I can't help but feel that the dealer should have made me aware of this Saturday when I bought the car, not to mention the fact that Ford tried to prohibit them from demonstrating and delivering the vehicle. Am I wrong here?

Anyone know any details on the civil penalty that Ford mentions in its letter? I'm now stuck in a base model Focus SE while I make payments on an ST for 4-6 weeks. Additionally, with what appears to be the dealer's dishonesty, I'm pretty unhappy.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
As you say, you had the choice to nullify the deal.

All that's known for sure is that they let one out the door that they shouldn't have. Probably got a nastygram themselves as soon as the sales info. got to Ford for the warranty. (weekend sale, for all we know their ppwk. wasn't completed/filed until Monday)

You could have kept it, they're trying to cover their butt by taking it back until the recall is done. Wouldn't want to open that potential can of worms, and it's too late now anyways.

Letter dating to day of delivery adds up, that's when you "took possession" and payments/insurance need to take effect then.

You can still nullify the deal, you could even complain to potentially get them in trouble. Whether they pay a penalty or not would depend on how their argument is perceived in the legal process. No "penalty" would be paid to you in that process.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Well if you bought it over the holiday weekend, you got some rebates.. If you returned it and bought another one, you probably would not have the rebates.
(though most likely they will offer some more of them)

I agree the dealer should not have sold you the car without telling you about it all. And generally you should get a loaner equal to your new car. Maybe they thing a base Focus is just as good?

Curious though, what is the recall for? and why do you have to wait so long for it to be fixed?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Well if you bought it over the holiday weekend, you got some rebates.. If you returned it and bought another one, you probably would not have the rebates.
(though most likely they will offer some more of them)

I agree the dealer should not have sold you the car without telling you about it all. And generally you should get a loaner equal to your new car. Maybe they thing a base Focus is just as good?

Curious though, what is the recall for? and why do you have to wait so long for it to be fixed?

NHTSA Recall Number: 14V495000 Recall Date: August 7, 2014
Manufacturer Recall Number: 14S17
SUMMARY:
IN SOME OF THE AFFECTED VEHICLES, THERE MAY BE ENGINE WIRING HARNESSES WITH SPLICES THAT WERE INSUFFICIENTLY COMPRESSED DURING THE SUPPLIER MANUFACTURING PROCESS. INSUFFICIENT COMPRESSION IN THE ENGINE WIRING HARNESS SPLICES TO THE MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE (MAP) SENSOR MAY CAUSE ERRONEOUS SIGNALS TO THE PCM THAT MAY AFFECT ENGINE PERFORMANCE. THIS MAY RESULT IN MIL LAMPS, REDUCED ENGINE POWER, HESITATION, OR OTHER ENGINE DRIVEABILITY SYMPTOMS, OR ENGINE STALL.
SAFETY RISK:
ENGINE STALLS WHILE DRIVING WITH NO WARNING MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
REMEDY:
OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE(S) TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER. DEALERS WILL REPLACE AFFECTED CRIMPED SPLICES WITH NEW SPLICES.
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE
Of course I don't know why they would still have such an old car in stock (older than October 13, 2013), and if it was built after this date I don't know why they would hold onto the car.

Of course if it does qualify for the recall service they can't touch it until Ford releases repair procedures and the required parts, which won't be until before the end of September according to the advance notice letter saying that the recall was coming but is not available yet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points from all, I guess my beef is that it feels like they moved a car for the sale only to knowingly pull it back on Tuesday. I feel they could at least get me in a better loaner for a longer term situation like this, especially since it appears they were a bit deceptive.

I expect it will be about six weeks.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Yikes.. a new St built way back in October of last year?
Maybe it was a show car.. In some static display for nearly a year?
I have seen some cars supposedly available now, which were made as far back as March 2014. But no one can actually FIND them. (Calling the dealer the car was sent to, they have no idea where the car is)

Maybe your car was caught in some legal mess. Someone was buying it, then like went to jail, the down payment was a problem, or ??? and some sort of legal whatever.. So it was never actually delivered. The court battle meant it could not be sold..
Who knows.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The low likelihood of having one that "old" in stock could be related to the possible "screw up" of selling it - someone read the notice, thought they didn't have anything that "old" in stock & filed it without checking.

I'd be checking the date of manufacture myself at this point, and you can check your own vehicle's status on line yourself for any outstanding service actions. Might not even show there, as the notices to owners haven't gone out yet.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
All, help me determine if this feels fishy or I'm being oversensitive...

I purchased a 2014 ST Sat., Aug. 30. The dealer did not mention this recall at the time of purchase. Tuesday, 9/2, about mid-day, my dealer calls and tells me about the recall and gives me the option of nullifying our deal or taking a loaner until it is fixed. I say bring me the loaner as I like the car. The guy shows up in the loaner, I sign the loaner agreement and a paper stating that I still own the ST but it is taken back for a recall, and I am still responsible to insure and make payments. Ok, bummer, and the loaner is a base Focus sedan, bummer again, but it'll be fixed 4-6 weeks.

I come home and do some more research and discover the letter from Ford to the dealers, implying that the dealer should not have let me test drive or buy the car! Additionally, I review the paperwork for the loaner a bit more closely and I see that the agreement stating I own the ST and am responsible for insurance and payments is dated to 8/30/14 (the day of purchase), not the day of signing.

I can't help but feel that the dealer should have made me aware of this Saturday when I bought the car, not to mention the fact that Ford tried to prohibit them from demonstrating and delivering the vehicle. Am I wrong here?

Anyone know any details on the civil penalty that Ford mentions in its letter? I'm now stuck in a base model Focus SE while I make payments on an ST for 4-6 weeks. Additionally, with what appears to be the dealer's dishonesty, I'm pretty unhappy.
I want to look into this further. Please send me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts