Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 406 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
No magic piece of paper needed, just an appointment for evaluation & repair as suggested by the results.

@Ratskrad - good to see things are working out for you now.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Update - dealer found multiple stored codes relating to the TCM - exactly as Sailor predicted. They are replacing it right now. Thanks to Meagan for the support and follow up too. I guess the moral of the story is I should have changed dealers sooner.
You're welcome!!! :D

My car is a 2012 and after the dealership did an "update" on my transmission it drove well for a few days but now it's worse. Can I take some piece of paper in there and have them fix it? The car shudders so bad 2-3 gear switch that i can't even get my wife to drive it.
I'll be happy to look into this to see what I can do to assist. Can you please let me know your updated mileage?

Meagan

·
Registered
495 Posts
I just hit 37k on the way to work. My dealer handed me a sheet of paper last time I was there, he wanted to make sure I was aware that alot of this is normal for this transmission, I am beyond normal. I love the car and really want it to get fixed, thank you!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I just hit 37k on the way to work. My dealer handed me a sheet of paper last time I was there, he wanted to make sure I was aware that alot of this is normal for this transmission, I am beyond normal. I love the car and really want it to get fixed, thank you!
Thanks! Go ahead and send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll check into this further.

Meagan

·
Registered
123 Posts
I see nothing "normal" for a brand new car to shudder/stutter upon taking off that gets worse while running errands around town... and if your dealership handed you a piece of paper from Ford explaining that it is normal, then I would use that paper to file suit against Ford since they didnt disclose that "fact" prior to your purchase....

·
Registered
1 Posts
More focus transmission problems

Transmission finally went out today. While driving on the throughway the car almost refused to up shift out of 2nd gear while speeding up and the engine light came on. Barely got to work and will now have to take it to a dealership. This is after the last two years of asking if they could fix the grinding and shuddering of the car. I'm glad they extended the warranty, but it would have been better if they had fixed it as a recall before it became a problem.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Transmission finally went out today. While driving on the throughway the car almost refused to up shift out of 2nd gear while speeding up and the engine light came on. Barely got to work and will now have to take it to a dealership. This is after the last two years of asking if they could fix the grinding and shuddering of the car. I'm glad they extended the warranty, but it would have been better if they had fixed it as a recall before it became a problem.
Hi sassy sailor,

Were you able to head to the dealer since your last post? Please let me know, along with your mileage, so I can see how to best assist.

Meagan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought a 2013 focus se on 1/03/15. Didn't notice and shudder or hesitation on take off. Test drive was mostly open road. Had to be dropped off on 1/08/15 due to many tranny problems. (I have driven a manual since 2003, for those who tell me i should drive it like one). Service says software update did not work and they are gonna replace clutch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does the extended warranty include the 2014 model? I've had my clutches replaced, but still have shuttering issues. My passengers notice it and it can be quite embarrassing at times. I have to take it back in for service. Not something I wanted to deal with when I bought the car brand new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I felt my car wasn't right before I got the notice in the mail but I thought maybe it was in my head because I was used driving a maxima which has more power. When I got the notice I took it and my car to the dealer, it was time for an oil change anyway. I asked him to take a look. His first response was "we don't have time right now" after the oil change he told me he checked it out and the jerking I feel has nothing to do with the notice and he has no idea why I am feeling it. Now 3 months later it's getting worse. It seems like when I go under 40 the car is working harder than when I do 80. Also when I sit idle at a light then hit the gas it jerks a lot. Especially when I've been driving more than usual. I am going to go to the dealer, just a different one. I've had nothing but bad experiences at that one. Between trying to make appointments to getting answers. They are very uninterested unless you are there to spend big money on buying a new car. I just hope i can feta loaner since the next dealer is pretty far away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has the Transmission Clutch/Seal issue been reported in the 2015 Ford Focus or have they stopped making the Ford Focus? I'm thinking of trading my car in. Curious to know if there's hope or if I need to look at something else.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Might be a little early to ask about reported problems, I haven't seen a reported PURCHASE yet.

Since they just started trickling into the Dealerships this month (January) there aren't many user miles on them yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Ford Focus

I also have a 12' Ford Focus that I purchased brand new in 03/12. I love this car other than the stupid transmission. I will admit I have put the miles on it thankfully they sent the service bulletin out @ 40K but as of now I have approximately 60-65k. I noticed after the break in period that the car had terrible shutters, did not want to shift correctly. Since then this car has been in and out of my Ford dealership. They would "flash" the transmission and it would be fine for a month or two. A month ago today, I was driving on a very busy 4 lane highway when my car decided to completely loose all power. I was in the slow lane running about 60. "Transmission Malfunction PLEASE SERVICE NOW" was appearing on my message center. The car would not pull forward or in reverse, I waited for my cousin who owns his own car repair & towing shop to come and get the car. We hauled it to my local dealership where the car had to be pushed into the garage. So far my car is still in the dealership and they are now telling me it could be 2 more months before they can get the parts (clutch seals, clutch, TCM)??? Anyone having the same issue??

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have a 12' Ford Focus that I purchased brand new in 03/12. I love this car other than the stupid transmission. I will admit I have put the miles on it thankfully they sent the service bulletin out @ 40K but as of now I have approximately 60-65k. I noticed after the break in period that the car had terrible shutters, did not want to shift correctly. Since then this car has been in and out of my Ford dealership. They would "flash" the transmission and it would be fine for a month or two. A month ago today, I was driving on a very busy 4 lane highway when my car decided to completely loose all power. I was in the slow lane running about 60. "Transmission Malfunction PLEASE SERVICE NOW" was appearing on my message center. The car would not pull forward or in reverse, I waited for my cousin who owns his own car repair & towing shop to come and get the car. We hauled it to my local dealership where the car had to be pushed into the garage. So far my car is still in the dealership and they are now telling me it could be 2 more months before they can get the parts (clutch seals, clutch, TCM)??? Anyone having the same issue??

I had a dealership tell me today that the clutch pack in my 2012 needed to be replaced and there is no timeline for availability of parts. It could be a few days or a few months because supply is so up in the air.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I felt my car wasn't right before I got the notice in the mail but I thought maybe it was in my head because I was used driving a maxima which has more power. When I got the notice I took it and my car to the dealer, it was time for an oil change anyway. I asked him to take a look. His first response was "we don't have time right now" after the oil change he told me he checked it out and the jerking I feel has nothing to do with the notice and he has no idea why I am feeling it. Now 3 months later it's getting worse. It seems like when I go under 40 the car is working harder than when I do 80. Also when I sit idle at a light then hit the gas it jerks a lot. Especially when I've been driving more than usual. I am going to go to the dealer, just a different one. I've had nothing but bad experiences at that one. Between trying to make appointments to getting answers. They are very uninterested unless you are there to spend big money on buying a new car. I just hope i can feta loaner since the next dealer is pretty far away.
Welcome to the forum!

Have you made the appointment with the second dealer yet? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

I had a dealership tell me today that the clutch pack in my 2012 needed to be replaced and there is no timeline for availability of parts. It could be a few days or a few months because supply is so up in the air.
Hi guys,

I want to look into some additional assistance on this. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has been a stressful issue. Bought myself a 2013 Focus ST and thought it was a great car. My 2 sons got to be 16 and I thought instead of worrying about the issues that can be associated with used cars, I will buy them both a 2014 Focus.

Sure enough, one of them started shuttering within 6 months. Brought it to the dealer and they told me “this is a known issue and we really don’t have a fix”. They flashed the software, but that didn’t help. I have now come to learn that both cars are not included in the “Customer Satisfaction Program”.

They tell me that the version “F” clutch pack should fix the issue, but have no idea when they will be available – but I have no idea if they will even fix it since my car is not included.

Hate it for my son to have a car which is really not very fun to drive.

Stuck here waiting like everyone else.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I think people should realize the difference what is normal and what is not with these:

Normal:
1. Jerking if you get on and off the gas too quickly. It IS a manual transmission internally, you MUST get on and off the gas like you are driving a manual and you don't want it to jerk.

2. Occasional mild clutch chatter. Yes, this is NOT the dreaded shudder. Shudder is a very high frequency like, almost "ultra-sonic clutch chatter" that is very strange to experience. Now, with the current software sometimes on take off, coming around corners and getting back on the throttle etc, the software will be confused and it will be like it literally isn't sure if it should be shifting yet or not and you will get a little bit of clutch chatter at low speeds, almost always around the 1-2 gear change. It is indeed somewhat annoying but I am almost positive some clutch chatter is a software issue that has nothing to do with transmission failure

NOT normal:
1. Very strange high frequency clutch chatter... it's almost has an alien like musical quality to it and you and your passengers will be like "what the hell was that?" The clutch, not between gear shifts, is not holding properly because of leaking seals.

2. Rolling backwards of any kind while in drive. This may have been an early software issue but also could be a sign of mechanical failure.

3. Sudden total loss of power while under throttle. If this happens even once immediately take your car to dealership and tell them very nicely that this is a major safety issue and you will not be leaving without a loaner car. Under 36k miles, they WILL take care of you including a loaner under their satisfaction program if you remind them how new the car is and what a dangerous condition the car is in. There have been stories of people, including myself that almost got into major accidents when the car suddenly lost all power. I was on the throttle going uphill during the busy morning commute (when proper following distance isn't exactly maintained) when I completely lost all power. I almost caused a major accident This was at only 18k miles and I had just got the car used a couple of days before. I got the full TSB at the time and I now only get the occasional clutch chatter mentioned above. Heck, it may not be 100% normal but I have no true shuddering (experienced that in another Focus) and never lose power.

I hope this helps... I've been in a number of MK3 Focii over the last year and have read a ton of these boards and am pretty sure this is accurate...

·
__________/\__
2,129 Posts
I have now come to learn that both cars are not included in the “Customer Satisfaction Program”.

They tell me that the version “F” clutch pack should fix the issue, but have no idea when they will be available – but I have no idea if they will even fix it since my car is not included.
Let me clear this up. BOTH of your cars are covered for transmission repairs under the factory powertrain warranty for 5 years or 60,000 miles. The TCM (transmission control module) is covered for 80,000 miles under your Emissions warranty.

The 14M01 customer satisfaction program does not even take effect until after the factory powertrain warranty expires. Even though both of your cars were built before the cutoff date for 14M01, your cars may have their transmission warranties extended if Ford sees fit but for now, don't stress, you are covered by your original factory powertrain warranty.

121 - 140 of 406 Posts