Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Over a month and a 1/2 since having this work done, all the symptoms are returning. Shuddering, loss of acceleration and erratic shifting. I also for the first time smelled an aroma of burnt clutch the other day after getting out of my car at work.

Looks like it's going back to the dealer again, who will probably tell me they can't do anything about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Through very thorough testing the last few days I've determined my DCT is in great shape. Various levels of acceleration from cold and warm starts, sitting and rolling starts, on various grades have produced no shudder at all.

I have just over 20k miles, what is the likelihood that it will remain problem-free? Is the problem because of a bad batch of parts, or is it an inherent design flaw that will eventually affect every transmission?
My vote is a design flaw and something the engineers don't clearly understand since it has plagued the transmission since it came out in 2011. Kind of like the head gasket issues of the 3.8 V6. It was improved but never fully solved for the 10 year or so run of engine production. Another example is the block distortion problem with the original Vega engine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just out of curiousity, but to convert a DCT equiped MK3 over to manual shouldn't be difficult at all, but I wonder what the price difference would be to overhaul the clutch pack on a DCT vs buying a MTX-75 and asociated parts? I think its pretty close, what say you?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
My vote is a design flaw...
That doesn't explain why many people don't experience any problems (or why some no longer have any issues after their clutches are serviced properly).

...something the engineers don't clearly understand...
Are you joking?
Since when is a dry clutch rocket science?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Rockets are easy compared to cars.

... Are you joking?
Since when is a dry clutch rocket science?
A dry clutch may not be rocket science, but apparently putting two on concentric shafts is. Otherwise, why are new buyers still experiencing the same problems with them after all these years?

EDIT:
Seems head gaskets are even farther from being "rocket science" than dual dry clutch transmissions are, but even they can be hard to figure out:

My vote is a design flaw and something the engineers don't clearly understand ... Kind of like the head gasket issues of the 3.8 V6. It was improved but never fully solved for the 10 year or so run of engine production. ...
(Early first gen Honda Accords and Civics ate head gaskets like popcorn, but at least Honda got that resolved pretty quickly.)

Maybe "rocket science" is not a good calibration point. Making a car that's reliable for hundreds of thousands of miles is probably even more of a technical challenge than making a rocket that only has to survive one trip. "Car science" just doesn't have the same ring, though, does it? ;)

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
My vote is a design flaw ...
That doesn't explain why many people don't experience any problems (or why some no longer have any issues after their clutches are serviced properly).
But it could. You are assuming that a design flaw would result in a high failure rate, which is not always the case. A flaw in a design can cause failures that only occur when some other variable causes them. That other variable may only be present a small percentage of the time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I actually work for a Ford Dealer, and that "recall" pertains to the automatic transmission. And its not technically a recall, its what we call an advanced notice, (which means that if it is determined by a Ford trained mechanic that you're vehicle is exhibiting the syptoms described in the letter, then the repair will be covered under warranty. I am a big fan of Ford products, but unfortunately I must say, that while ford had a great idea for these new auto transmissions, their idea was poorly executed. It is what we call a "manually based automatic", which simply put means it is a dual clutch system. (same concept at the trans in newer Lamborghini's and high end sports cars). Unfortunately though, as I said, it was poorly executed, and unless you give your vehicle a decent amount of throttle from a stop, chances are you will experience a shutter, and hesitation (same feeling you would have if you were in a manual transmission and the driver didn't release the clutch properly). Ford has been calling this "normal operation for this trans, until recently, we are now slowly starting to replace the clutch packs in the trans of the vehicles exhibiting these symptoms, however, Ford (motor company, not the dealer level), doesn't seem too sure of this actually fixing this issue. Both the focus and fiesta automatics share this trans system.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
I think it mostly affects certain build dates. Mine was born on 6/14 and no stutter at all, very smooth, solid. My wifes on the other hand although its a '14 also was built on 8/13 and her's has the occasional studder...
It would be great if everyone posted their build dates from the past 12-18 months and what DCT troubles they have, if any. Bet we'd start to see a reduction in troubles beginning with 2Q or 3Q 2013 build dates.

Mine was built 10/13 and has no shudder but has the occiasional uneven acceleration in 1st gear, usually when hot.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My wife's 2014 build date is 8/13 and her car has the occasional shudder, not too bad,
My 2014 build date is 6/14, no stutter at all....

·
Registered
472 Posts
Mine built 7/10/14, occasional odd shifts. Shudder once backing up uphill in my driveway but I was screwing with the throttle too much. Few times doing a rolling stop and accelerating it smacked into gear hard. But that was early on. Only have 1900 miles so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Build date 8/13. Had shudder, poor or no downshift on hills, and engine revs with no movement when starting out. All issues were intermittent but more frequent after longer trips. Clutch pack, seal, and new program installed about a month ago at 9000 miles. Good so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got mine back two days ago from getting the new seals. After one day the shuddering was back. That wasn't my main problem though. The main problem was that my transmission would not shift on occasion. Usually at low speeds. Hopefully the new seals fix that.
The dealer was great about it though. Very helpful and pleasant. Gave me a nice loaner (F150), but I am glad to have my Focus back. $40 for a half tank of gas in the F150 vs. $30 today to fill up my Focus.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just got mine back two days ago from getting the new seals. After one day the shuddering was back. That wasn't my main problem though. The main problem was that my transmission would not shift on occasion. Usually at low speeds. Hopefully the new seals fix that.
The dealer was great about it though. Very helpful and pleasant. Gave me a nice loaner (F150), but I am glad to have my Focus back. $40 for a half tank of gas in the F150 vs. $30 today to fill up my Focus.
I had similar issues before clutch, seal, and program replacement. I am very surprised they didn't replace the clutch pack while the trans was out since the clutches must be removed to do the seals. Leaking seals cause oil to get on the clutches causing shuddering. I wish you luck but IMO once the clutches get contaminated they don't heal themselves to totally stop the shudder without replacement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had similar issues before clutch, seal, and program replacement. I am very surprised they didn't replace the clutch pack while the trans was out since the clutches must be removed to do the seals. Leaking seals cause oil to get on the clutches causing shuddering. I wish you luck but IMO once the clutches get contaminated they don't heal themselves to totally stop the shudder without replacement.
Thanks! Maybe if I tell them that the car is still shuddering, they will replace the clutch as well. So you no longer have the shuddering issue after the repairs?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks! Maybe if I tell them that the car is still shuddering, they will replace the clutch as well. So you no longer have the shuddering issue after the repairs?
Not yet but it's only got about 400 miles since replacement. The new program is in breakin mode for about a 1000 miles where they told me I might see shuddering but I have not yet. The car works much better than it did at slow speeds in traffic or trying to move across a parking lot. It will now move at idle like a normal automatic but does slip back some when trying to take off from a stop on a hill. Easily managed by using the hand brake though. This is the first new car we bought with an automatic in 35 years (wife wanted an auto this time) so we are versed in using a hand brake on hills.

If you take yours back they will likely do a clutch stress test. If it fails then it will be replaced under warranty. If it's not bad enough then they will send you on your way as others have noted here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
And...My Focus is back at the dealership. Dealer replaced the seals on the transmission, but after two weeks, transmission is slipping out of gear again. This is really quite dangerous! Each time it happens I am in a low gear and the car just seems to slip into neutral.

Thankfully there have been no accidents yet, but I worry every time I have the kids in the car. Simply not safe!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you advise what to do if the dealership claims that my 2012 Focus has a TCM problem and that Ford is not extending the warranty for that. The vehicle skips 1st and 2nd gear with grinding and chugging when accelerating. Won't go into reverse then begins shaking. It has been in for the same problem 5 times now. The TCM was replaced in April and they are diagnosing that is the problem again. Have already contacted Ford Corporation and am told that if the dealership does not diagnose that the problem is 14M01 terms then they will not fix the problem.
HELP!

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
I've seen references posted here that the TCM is covered under emissions warranty that goes longer than the basic/drivetrain one, but not as long as the extension on the programming/seals/clutch pack.

Check your warranty book to see if you're in the mileage for that.

Also, if it was replaced by Ford that recently it might be covered by the usual repair warranties (check those terms).

·
__________/\__
2,127 Posts
Can you advise what to do if the dealership claims that my 2012 Focus has a TCM problem and that Ford is not extending the warranty for that. The vehicle skips 1st and 2nd gear with grinding and chugging when accelerating. Won't go into reverse then begins shaking. It has been in for the same problem 5 times now. The TCM was replaced in April and they are diagnosing that is the problem again. Have already contacted Ford Corporation and am told that if the dealership does not diagnose that the problem is 14M01 terms then they will not fix the problem.
HELP!
If your car has less than 80,000 miles, Ford is required by federal law to warrant your transmission control module:

The warranty coverage period for:

• Passenger cars, light duty trucks (applies to vehicles up to 8,500 pounds GVWR)

— 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for catalytic
converter, electronic emission control unit (ECU), transmission control
module
(TCM),and any other onboard emissions diagnostic module

Print out this pdf and take it with you to the dealership. This is for the 2012 year model:

http://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/2012Warranty.pdf&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ei=jbxuVPiBN4W6yQS844KYCQ&ved=0CBQQFjAA&sig2=SUCr3fUTifEYTEi_Q_M2lg&usg=AFQjCNG6AjlZ253Y_tim601p_w83LD-jqA

61 - 80 of 406 Posts