Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd pass this on.
Just received a letter from Ford that the 2013 Focus with Powershift 6-Speed Auto Trans may exhibit excessive transmission clutch shudder during light acceleration.
Well, thats me.
Never really bothered me but passengers in the car often asked WHAT WAS THAT?
A free fix from Ford.
Ford customer satisfaction number: 14M01 (I call it a re-call).

If your 2013 Focus has this problem, Ford will fix it for free.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Might read the letters closer, copies have been posted already.

Warranty extension on certain parts (clutch pack, seals, programming).

Nice to have, but not a "recall" as you put it.

(Customer satisfaction program)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The letter does state an extension of the warranty.
But it also states the cause as possible leaking transmission seals.
If the shutter is excessive, which mine is and has been and seems to be getting much worse, ford will fix the seals i.e. the issue.

Driving habits may be one thing, but excessive shutter from normal acceleration to the point passengers complain, that should be addressed.
Ford focus TI owners want a drivable car, not a carnival ride.
Trying to explain away excessive shutter as driver error is not an acceptable suggestion.

·
Registered
90 Posts
mine went into the shop again today, now that the parts are in the stock... hopefully
new clutch plates will solve the problems

i got a loaner car from the dealer, so if it takes a couple of days to fix...no biggie

fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have only the occasional shudder that usually clears up pretty quickly so I don't think I'd be able to convince the dealer I need the update and I'm OK with that so long as my DCT remains decent. Having the warranty extended gives me some more comfort and waiting a while longer should only increase the chance that even better hardware is developed. We're at rev F now and if, a year or two down the road I need to have mine replaced it may be rev G. In any case, I'm still happy with my DCT...

Brian

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just thought I'd pass this on.
Just received a letter from Ford that the 2013 Focus with Powershift 6-Speed Auto Trans may exhibit excessive transmission clutch shudder during light acceleration.
Well, thats me.
Never really bothered me but passengers in the car often asked WHAT WAS THAT?
A free fix from Ford.
Ford customer satisfaction number: 14M01 (I call it a re-call).

If your 2013 Focus has this problem, Ford will fix it for free.
Haha, seriously I've gotta put mine into the dealership just to not have to explain the shudder.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
More description would help, a "shuddering" feeling as a clutch engages is the subject of the particular problem mentioned here.

Various modes of "jerkiness" could be felt that aren't directly related, particularly when getting on & off the throttle. For one, it's directly engaged in each gear so on/off/on the throttle can result in a jerk as play in the drivetrain is taken up in each direction. More noticeable at low speed & common to any clutch/gearbox type trans..

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Any word about the 2014s? I have this jerkiness at low speeds and I have a new-ish 2014.
Hi there,

During break-in (1000 miles), your vehicle may exhibit some unique driving characteristics. Are you past the break-in period? Please let me know, along with more details about your concern.

Meagan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your DCT will always exhibit some unique driving characteristics. Even after the break in period which in my experience was longer than 1000 miles. The adaptive phase is always learning and adjusting so it's shifts and sounds are inconsistent and not always optimal. It's normal sound and feel is different from a vehicle with a torque converter or wet clutch. I think Ford sets up its own PR problem by speaking in platitudes about it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm taking mine in tomorrow. First there's an hour long test drive where they hook up a laptop to it to see how the trans is running. Then, at least in my area, IF they have the parts, which most don't, then it'll take a few months to call me back and get the car in for the rebuild.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I'm taking mine in tomorrow. First there's an hour long test drive where they hook up a laptop to it to see how the trans is running. Then, at least in my area, IF they have the parts, which most don't, then it'll take a few months to call me back and get the car in for the rebuild.
I'll be glad to look into some additional options. Please send me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got the xmission fix done mon & tue. 9/08, 9/09 2014'
So far it seems to shift very well after about 500 miles, as it has do re-learn how to drive
so far so good
I still am disappointed that the xmission failed after 64k miles
we will see

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine went into the shop again today, now that the parts are in the stock... hopefully
new clutch plates will solve the problems

i got a loaner car from the dealer, so if it takes a couple of days to fix...no biggie

fingers crossed
Did you have to pay for the rental or was it covered?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Did you have to pay for the rental or was it covered?
My dealer originally told me a loaner wouldn't be covered because the transmission repair was under the powertrain warranty and not bumper-to-bumper.

I contacted Ford Service on here and they opened a case and the dealer ended up providing a loaner at no charge while the work was done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Took mine in today. 2012 SEL with 70k miles. From brand new, the car has had a high speed shudder at Interstate speeds when applying slight throttle as ascending incline grades. Especially noticeable on smooth pavement. Has gotten progressively worse over time. I knew it was a transmission problem before receiving the letter. New set of tires did nothing to help at 45k miles. I am anticipating having to do battle to get this repaired properly. I am assuming they are going to draw this out past 100k miles and then tell me to take a hike. Never a Ford again...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Had the clutch packs changed the first time right around, same mileage. It lasted until 25K I just received it back on 10/1 and it is relearning as well. So far so good...All they did was the TSB update. They said there was no seal leak.

1 - 20 of 406 Posts