Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2013 focus with front end damage that I need some help on. I just put it back together and I am getting a few error codes. The wiring harness was damaged and I repaired everything that I could see wrong with it.

The error codes I am getting are:

p0113
p0103
p087a
p087b

p0113 looks to be IAT sensor and p0103 is MAF sensor.
IAT reads -40 and MAF reads 81 with ignition on engine off

The other two I'm not sure about looks to be clutch position sensors.

Anyone have an idea on what I should try next?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind about the p0113 and p0103 codes. I found out I accidentally swapped the ground for that plug with another same color ground when I was repairing part of the harness. I am still stumped on the clutch position sensors error. Anyone know where that unit is located or what wires connect to it?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Guess the alien ate your brain...

silly person, you fail to mention what transmission is in the car - that affects the answer to your question greatly.

(grin)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Ouch

Well, the transmission is actually an automated dual clutch manual unit (DCT).

Looking at some of makaloco's videos in the MkIII problems section & General Tech Chat section (stickies) will show you pictures & some info. on how it works & common repairs.

The trans. has a TCM (transmission control module) that's both computer & shifting actuator. There are also clutch actuators for each clutch & I'm guessing the position sensors are part of them.

Once you get the other wiring repaired, I'd try a reboot of the system by disconnecting the battery. You can clean up the negative connection to ground while doing so, it's a common problem area.

Trans. SHOULD do a test & set routine just to get ready to drive when unlocking/ opening the door (you'll hear noises). If that's successful you can start it up & see whether it'll operate & if codes reappear.

Engine Control Unit & Trans. Control Unit plus every computer sensor they talk to need to have proper communication for the whole system to work. Wiring faults have been known to throw this off to the point of the car not functioning. Restart can "clear" the issue at times IF the problem is an intermittent.

Finding out exactly what's wrong with those clutch sensors may require a Ford computer, there's a whole reset procedure when work is done to those units.

Cross fingers all is OK after your latest wiring repairs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I watched all them videos. This car has an interesting clutch. Anyway I'm guessing the clutch position sensors are part of the clutch motors. Can anyone verify that?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been looking over everything again and I can't seem to find anything wrong with the harness. So I tried driving the car. The car doesn't engage into reverse. New code also

P0287A - CLUTCH "B" STUCK ENGAGED

The lower clutch motor actuator looks like the connector might be slightly bent. Could this be what is causing my issues?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I solved that issue. Turns out the clutch actuator motor was damaged inside. Now I have another issue. My airbag light is on. I had the module reset and replaced the two front crash sensors. What else could it be? I'm going to double check the wiring on them two plugs as well now.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You're likely to need "codes" to trace that one down.

You didn't mention any airbag replacement, don't forget about possible belt "pretensioner" activation. Earlier models had this in the belt clip stalks (shortened when fired), I'm not familiar with the system on the MkIII's.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I thought I did. Yes replaced the driver wheel and drive knee bags. Good point on the pretensioners I forgot they also might put them in the buckle side. I will have to check.

Edit: Pretensioners are not on the buckle side and no they did not deploy.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
One guess checked off, don't have another good one at the moment.

Good job figuring the clutch actuator from a fresh code & slight damage to the connector, this problem will need similar diagnostics before you're done.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2013 focus with front end damage that I need some help on. I just put it back together and I am getting a few error codes. The wiring harness was damaged and I repaired everything that I could see wrong with it.

The error codes I am getting are:

p0113
p0103
p087a
p087b

p0113 looks to be IAT sensor and p0103 is MAF sensor.
IAT reads -40 and MAF reads 81 with ignition on engine off

The other two I'm not sure about looks to be clutch position sensors.

Anyone have an idea on what I should try next?
Do you happen to have the WSM?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am really struggling with this one. I verified the wiring to the two front crash sensors and the wiring to the steering wheel bag back to the airbag control module. The driver wheel and knee bag have been replaced and the front crash sensors.

I am almost positive the pretensioners did not deploy but I am not positive. Can anyone tell me for sure this looks right? I have about 1" of cable sticking out past the rubber sleeve.

Edit: Looking at the used ones on ebay mine did not deploy. Where next? I wonder if they made a mistake resetting my control module.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have a workshop manual. I was going to bring the car to my local ford mechanic to read the codes, but looks like he is out of town all week.

Anyone know of a reader that will work on this car or a way to get the flashing lights to display on the cluster?

·
Vive Les Revolucion!
4,035 Posts
Theres a thread stickied with a downloadable HTML (or PDF) version of the Helm Shop Manual, which might be of use to you. It MIGHT have the information you're looking for as far as testing the airbag system, as well as safety procedures to keep the bags from deploying. Be safe, and keep us informed, this is interesting to me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't have a workshop manual. I was going to bring the car to my local ford mechanic to read the codes, but looks like he is out of town all week.

Anyone know of a reader that will work on this car or a way to get the flashing lights to display on the cluster?
PM me if you want the manual.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I forgot to update this post. I got the car working!

The airbag problems was the passenger seat restraint module had to be synced to the main restraint module with I think for software. So that cleared my airbag problems.

I also had a problem with the cruise control not working and turns out that was the front passenger speed sensor on the wheel. It had debris in it due to the repairs that were done. Once I fixed that problem and replaced the clutch actuator all my error codes went away and the car has not had a problem since!

Here are some before and after photos. The damage was much more severe than the images show, but all damage parts were replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I solved that issue. Turns out the clutch actuator motor was damaged inside. Now I have another issue. My airbag light is on. I had the module reset and replaced the two front crash sensors. What else could it be? I'm going to double check the wiring on them two plugs as well now.
hi can you give me your whatsapp number? i have the same proble and i need some your help please answer me faster im desesperad

1 - 20 of 21 Posts