Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Ford Focus Titanium and the rear window decking is disintegrating! Ford is going to replace, but has anyone else seen this? I have heard that it could be the sun? I live in Mass, not in AZ.

Attachments

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
I have seen a similar bit of damage once, in only one square, on a new S. However, the back window had been broken so it was assumed that was a result of glass damaging it.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
2012 Ford Focus Titanium and the rear window decking is disintegrating! Ford is going to replace...
I'm glad to see that your dealership is taking care of this for you, FFT2012. Let me know how the repair goes; if you need any assistance from me, send a PM my way with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much Crystal I will let you know. The part is on order right now. The piece of the decking that is disintegrating started to discolor and crack, then two holes and the rest cracked over the weekend. The dealer said they haven't seen anything like that before? I have 35K miles on it, so good thing it was noticed before the warranty expired. But I will def keep you posted...thanks for the offer of assistance!

·
Registered
15,468 Posts
Bio-friendy degradable foam rubber. It just arrived a little early to the party. The thinner it is, the easier it converts to dust.

Ford uses varying but similar product like that all over the cars but usually chosen to be hidden from view. You remove a part with a seal made of it and seal partially missing or even totally gone. I've made up many of the missing seals from foam rubber laying around..........you remove the old ones by simply crushing them to dust, airblow, and gone, only glue remnants remain.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thanks so much Crystal I will let you know. The part is on order right now. The piece of the decking that is disintegrating started to discolor and crack, then two holes and the rest cracked over the weekend. The dealer said they haven't seen anything like that before? I have 35K miles on it, so good thing it was noticed before the warranty expired. But I will def keep you posted...thanks for the offer of assistance!
No problem, FFT2012! I'll be here if you need my help. :)

Crystal

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Focus Rear Deck

I've got the exact same problem on my 2012 Focus SEL .. I've talked to my dealer in CT and they never heard of the issue yet. The car was originally on the road in June of 2011 so it was out very early but the foam fell apart this summer 2013 .. so it didn't even last 3 summers .. in CT not AZ like you said !

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Since it two east coasters, wonder if it doesn't like going from frozen to warm?
If it was just sunshine, I imagine us west coasters would be the first wave of failures.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I've got the exact same problem on my 2012 Focus SEL .. I've talked to my dealer in CT and they never heard of the issue yet. The car was originally on the road in June of 2011 so it was out very early but the foam fell apart this summer 2013 .. so it didn't even last 3 summers .. in CT not AZ like you said !
Hi aehornak,

When was this concern diagnosed by your dealer in Connecticut? Send me a PM with your full name, contact phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll look into available options.

Todd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck.

I hope there is no charge for this to be fixed for you either. My car was still under warranty, but as the rude Sales manager told me "I was lucky it was still under warranty or it wouldn't be covered". I feel that Ford should replace something like this free of charge because it is clearly a defective stock part to their vehicles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here

I have the same exact issue on my Ford and their customer service is not resolving the issue for me. I am 2,000 miles past the 36k warranty and they won't do it. I've had nothing but problems with my Focus since the day I picked it up (which are all documented b the mounds of paperwork from my dealer), but they are unwilling to make this exception even though it's not my fault, there is a TSB about it, and it has NOTHING to do with mileage or "wear and tear". Bad form, Ford. In any case, I've escalated this with Customer Care and waiting to hear back, hopefully at some point today.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
In any case, I've escalated this with Customer Care and waiting to hear back, hopefully at some point today.
Hey DarrgoMan,

Who did you contact? I just checked and I don't have a PM from you. Let me know, as I'd like to assist.

Todd

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 rear window decking disintegrating

I have the same issue, mine are totally rotted out. I have 70,000 miles on my 2012 Focus and I live in Virginia. I haven't been to the dealer yet, but I'm sure it's probably not covered.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
It was covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. Ford has a TSB where the tech removes the foam from behind the decklid and installs new foam.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is my 3rd summer into ownership (over 47K) and I have the same issue. TSB: 13-03-20.
I found references in another thread that the part is $8 at the dealership's parts counter (self-adhesive foam strip) and a dirt simple DIY fix. Part numbers below:
Black: DM5Z-5446506-AB
Tan: DM5Z-5446506-AA

Any idea if / how the new foam is more durable than what was installed at the factory?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have the same issue, mine are totally rotted out. I have 70,000 miles on my 2012 Focus and I live in Virginia. I haven't been to the dealer yet, but I'm sure it's probably not covered.
Let me know when you head to your dealer, and I can look into some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any idea if / how the new foam is more durable than what was installed at the factory?
The replacement lining is not a foam, it is more like a felt. It seems to be the same type of material that covers the entire rear deck. It is well worth the $8 or whatever it is to get the Ford part. I replaced it myself with no issues and I am glad to say it came out looking perfect!

Here is the link to the TSB posted by another forum member. I used the 3M adhesive that the TSB calls for. I also let it cure for 24 hours before reinstalling the rear deck.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwdb8v_9cmR2M0FZb3ZyNVdKSDA/edit?pli=1

1 - 20 of 41 Posts