Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any one had pictures, or any information on switching from a front wheel drive on my 02 svt to a rear wheel, and as well what would be some good starter mods for my car. On a strict budget

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
if you're on a strict budget, you may as well forget about RWD. and no one that i know of has done it w/o the V8 conversion. why would you want to do that anyway? you'd have more power loss to the drivetrain.

·
Registered
621 Posts
well converting to rwd isnt anything to be attempted on a strict budget, thats fairly certain.
if i remember correctly, they actually make a rwd focus (havent memorized all the models like many enthusiasts)

however good starting mods and strict budget work together much better.. here's a basic list of what youre looking at for possible mods:

rear engine mount
cold air intake / short ram intake
65mm throttle body
short throw shifter
shifter counterweight removal
cams
flywheel / clutch
and a re-tune will ldefinitely help things as well

these are all excellent starter mods that won't break the bank. the flywheel and clutch probably being the most expensive of the lot.
i'm sure I left out a few cheap and easy mods, but thats a good thing. gives everyone else a chance to provide useful feedback, heh.
for more info on each of these mods, simply do a search on the forums here using the above keywords, and pay attention to anything wd40 has to say...from there you can't really go wrong =p

good luck and have fun

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasnt talking about getting rwd i was just wondering cause I saw tokyo drift and they converted a evo to a rwd it looked interesting. I really wanna know what mods I can do for cheap which you posted but could you list a price range by chance?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Shadowrunner said:
if you're on a strict budget, you may as well forget about RWD. and no one that i know of has done it w/o the V8 conversion. why would you want to do that anyway? you'd have more power loss to the drivetrain.

Yeah but it is the "right wheel drive". FWS totally stinks and is the biggest complaint I have for the SVTF. It's nice in the snow and that is IT. RWD is so much better from a performance standpoint and it is infinitely more enjoyable to drive!

I agree that the idea of converting an SVTF to RWD is rather preposterous though. If you want more info on it check out the ATI focus, it has a Terminator engine in it and it is a BEAST.

Also converting an EVO to RWD is easier because it already has the drivline back there to the rear wheels. And is that "Tokyo Drift" some sort of Fast and the Furious mumbo jumbo?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Tokyo Drift... hehehe

I base all my purchasing decisions off the FATF series. Thats why I dont use nitrous... cause I dont want to blow myself up. But if I did.. it'd be 2 bottles... the big ones

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
FoCuSoNtHiS67 said:
I wasnt talking about getting rwd i was just wondering cause I saw tokyo drift and they converted a evo to a rwd it looked interesting. I really wanna know what mods I can do for cheap which you posted but could you list a price range by chance?
Yeah Tokyo Drift = a movie with an endless budget. I would put the cost of converting that evo at somewhere around 50grand. The focus V8 is basically the only way to run RWD without doing an extremely complex longitudal zetec set up. You can build a V8 focus yourself by buying the kit for 15grand I think? Or pay someone to do it for about 25grand.

·
Registered
124 Posts
in all honesty, nitrous is a non flamable gas all it does is make more parts oxygen so your car runs leaner and it makes the gas IN your cylinder ignight faster and burn cooler. if a tank of nitrous was in a fire the tank would explode but it would be like putting a ballon in a fire... the gas inside will expand from the heat and the tank will burst but not into flames, just the pressuse that was built from the heat... watch mythbusters...

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
FoCuSoNtHiS67 said:
I wasnt talking about getting rwd i was just wondering cause I saw tokyo drift...
The Fast and the Furious strikes again. God I hate those movies. Sorry, but that's how I feel. It gets people wondering alright. Wondering how a movie about cars could be so blatantly inaccurate and such a lame and false portrayal of car culture.

·
Registered
621 Posts
azdamay said:
The Fast and the Furious strikes again. God I hate those movies. Sorry, but that's how I feel. It gets people wondering alright. Wondering how a movie about cars could be so blatantly inaccurate and such a lame and false portrayal of car culture.
right there with ya, but i still enjoy watching the movies. it's good entertainment and its just a shame that most people are just mindless zeds.

much like hackers vs crackers, the best you can do is just educate people yourself, since no one else seems interested in doing so. =p

-Paul

ps - yes, crackers are the ones that break stuff, and hackers are the ones that just wanna know how stuff works.

·
Registered
105 Posts
well i am hitting a dead horse here, but yes if you are on a tight budget you are better off doing the mods and forgetting about the RWD conversion. i think the RWD kit from ford racing to do a V-8 is like 10grand.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
mrmechanic said:
well i am hitting a dead horse here, but yes if you are on a tight budget you are better off doing the mods and forgetting about the RWD conversion. i think the RWD kit from ford racing to do a V-8 is like 10grand.
its more than that once you factor in unseen cost and labor and all the hours involved. Its a vary pricy swap. Personally i would rather do something like a RWD turboed V6 setup.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
It's just funny, how convenient that our focuses have the space available down the middle of the underbody....

It's like Ford planned to have it RWD, but then backed away...
I wish I worked for M-Sport and got the hook up on various parts....
:sadface:

·
Registered
743 Posts
I think it was sport compact car. this guy had a wrx that he drifts. He removed something fromt he transmission to make it RWD.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
venomfocus said:
I think it was sport compact car. this guy had a wrx that he drifts. He removed something fromt he transmission to make it RWD.
I don't think Subaru makes front wheel drive wrx... It's either all or nothing.

Subaru believes every driver should have the benefit of all-wheel drive. And Subaru is the only manufacturer to build it into every car they make. It's all part of the Subaru commitment to active safety. It's simple, really -- a safe vehicle is one that helps you avoid an accident, not just survive one. And the Subaru All-Wheel Driving System actively works to help you do just that, every time you take the wheel.

The Subaru All-Wheel Driving System is a powerful combination of full-time, All-Wheel Drive, a horizontally opposed boxer engine and an advanced, long travel four-wheel independent system. All of which work together for superior traction, handling and driving confidence. Otherwise known as The Beauty of All-Wheel Drive.®

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
And with the help of google... Why not ask the guys who make AWD focus... WRC specification/engineering company M-sport.

RWD conversion.
Cost: 69,000 pounds. ($109,104.80 USD)
Special Order only. (just kidding, I wonder if they will make it. money talks)

The Focus WRC was the first transversely engined car to rally with the Xtrac longitudinal gearbox/transmission arrangement. Peugeot Sport has adopted a similar unit for its 206 -WRC, as has Hyundai for its Accent WRC. By using transverse engine/ longitudinal transmission axes, this arrangement frees space to fit the necessary forced induction and four wheel-drive equipment in cars not originally designed to contain such equipment. It also puts the gearbox behind the engine and down the WRCar technical rule book-designated transmission tunnel. This maximises masses both to the rear of the car, and as low as is feasible. There have been teething troubles, however. The early concept was to use this transmission in conjunction with an engine designed to run without a flywheel... However, in rally trim the car appeared with a flywheel, and its clutch located below the crankshaft centreline. This required a backlash inherent in those gears caused all manner of torsion and vibration-induced problems.

For the 2000 WRC season the Ford M-Sport operation is working hard on relocating the car's clutch to be in-line with its engine's crankshaft. This move of just 20mm will delete one drop gear set - and entail major underbonnet surgery. An entirely new transmission end case casting - and internals - is required, as is the engineering of a completely new engine mount concept, different turbocharger and location and, by implication, revised intercooler trunking. An innovation which appeared for Sanremo was to replace the bell-crank linkage to the push-pull 'invalid carriage' gear lever to the right of the Focus WRC's steering wheel with a cable in Colin McRae's car. Not attached to the body, and independent of any external gearbox movement, this unique test cable proved so effective that it was immediately fitted to Colin's Sanremo Focus. The car's centre and front active differentials are incorporated in the transmission unit - pay your £69K and you get the cliffs too.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
MISVTfocus said:
Yeah Tokyo Drift = a movie with an endless budget. I would put the cost of converting that evo at somewhere around 50grand. The focus V8 is basically the only way to run RWD without doing an extremely complex longitudal zetec set up. You can build a V8 focus yourself by buying the kit for 15grand I think? Or pay someone to do it for about 25grand.

I doubt it would take 50k to make an EVO go from AWD to RWD...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
a strickt buget for the svt huh.. that a easy one... and the cam i have read didn't help at all, if you don't plan on racing or beating the crap outta the car then you don't need a clutch!
yes to be honsest with all my bolt ons i think i had 147 whp then after the tune i got from tom on the dyno i hit my numbers. i have never chimned in on this but i will now, if i could do it all over again this is the only mods i would do before FI everything else barely helps
1.some kind of air intake-cheap
2.udp -cheap
3.orp and keep your stock exhuast-cheap
4.dyno tune-could get expensive

·
Registered
210 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
I don't think Subaru makes front wheel drive wrx... It's either all or nothing.
Right and wrong. They make AWD WRx, but for a $90 dollar part, you can disable the front drive assy, and have a RWD car. A budy of mine with a 02 just bought it. It goes into one of the 3 differentails. Why is he doing it? He don't drift, he just wants to play. I personally think he's stupid, I love AWD cars. oh well

1 - 20 of 25 Posts