Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AAAHHHHH!!!!
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, when i am driving down the road at around 50mph or so, i can hear this deep toned humming noise coming from the rear passenger side of my car. i have also recently heard a loud grinding noise coming from the same area briefly. i took it to my mechanic immediately after i heard the grinding noise and he said that it was most likely a rock stuck somewhere that worked its way out, but i cant help but feel that there is something wrong with my wheel bearing. what do you guys think??

also, i had my driver's side wheel bearing fail a couple years ago which was not a very reassuring experience.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sounds like a REAR Bearing to me. The are not hard to replace at all and the grinding noise in the rear might be this TSB. Hope it helps.

FORD: 2000-2006 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 05-10-5 to update the service parts and model year coverage.

ISSUE:
Some 2000-2006 Focus vehicles, produced before 01/20/2006 (excluding vehicles equipped with rear disc brakes), may exhibit a squealing noise from the rear drum brakes during stopping.

ACTION:
Replace the rear brake shoes with revised components. Refer to the following service procedure.

NOTE: SOME 2002 AND PRIOR MODEL YEAR VEHICLES MAY ALSO REQUIRE WHEEL CYLINDER REPLACEMENT IF THE REAR BRAKE SHOES ARE BEING REPLACED WITH THE REVISED COMPONENTS. REFER TO THE FOLLOWING SERVICE PROCEDURE.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove both rear brake drums. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-02.
Inspect wheel cylinders
If the wheel cylinder housing is bare cast iron then replacement is not required if revised brake shoes are being installed.
If the wheel cylinder housing is plated then replace the wheel cylinders if revised brake shoes are being installed. Refer to WSM, Section 206-02.
Replace brake shoes with revised components. Refer to WSM, Section 206-02.
NOTE: THE REVISED BRAKE SHOES MAY MAKE AN INTERMITTENT SLIGHT SQUEAL NOISE FOR THE FIRST 100 TO 150 BRAKE APPLICATIONS. THIS IS NORMAL OPERATION.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6S4Z-2200-B Kit Brake Shoe/Lining
6S4Z-2261-AA Wheel Cylinder

·
AAAHHHHH!!!!
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you. i also forgot to mention that the rear brake on that side of my car screeches like a banshee, but i just replaced the shoes about a year ago. it was screech free for about a month after they were replaced and then it became the most annoying sound ever conceived and continues to this day.

·
Registered
593 Posts
A sure fire way to tell if it's a wheel bearing is if the noise gets quiter or goes away completely when you turn the vehicle. If it goes away when turning one direction but not the other a bearing would be a prime suspect. If you have it replaced at a dealer they'll more than likely replace the whole drum assembly. Damn press-in bearings...

·
Registered
220 Posts
The tsb i gave you is for REVISED parts so when you replaced your shoes and drums most likely they were with the old part number the one that i posted is the latest one. It might a different kind of material.

·
AAAHHHHH!!!!
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FucusUnderground said:
Wasn't there also a TSB about the rear wheels falling off the vehicle?
that one was a recall and i have plenty of experience with it, as my driver's side rear wheel nearly fell off. it was just barely attached to the car and you could rock it back and forth with absolutely no effort. after it happened, ford refused to fix it. ford claimed that the recall had already been addressed with respect to my car. they flat out lied and told us which dealership supposedly fixed the problem. well, i called that dealership and my car had never even been there. luckily, my local ford dealer offered to fix it free of charge.

·
Registered
352 Posts
REAR WHEEL BEARING^^^^

I have replaced three of these. Same exact sound. Same grinding at first when I turned the car to the opposite direction of the side the bad bearing was on. Oh, and that right rear is going out again. That's going to bring the count to 3 right rear bearings and 1 left rear bearing.

Even when the car was under warranty, ford refused to fix it for free. I had no idea at the time that there was a TSB for this. I wasn't a member of FF at the time. [?|]

·
Registered
46 Posts
ive been having the same problem with my rear bearing..ive had to replace it 4 times within 3 weeks..Sometimes it will make a humming sound and other times it will make grinding/rattling noise. Any ideas on how to fix this, and what is a tsb?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Are you using OEM bearing or cheapos, and are you installing them correctly? ie I do believe there is a correct direction they go in. Also try a new axle nut. I believe the ones on our year Focus are 3x use maximum then need replacing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
im using oem bearings, and i havent replaced the axle nut yet. I also lowered my car about an inch 4 months ago but i dont think that has anything to do with my problem. The noises/problems started about 4 weeks ago

1 - 11 of 11 Posts