Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 zx3 with drums. Pass side came off easy, drivers side no. The metal cover encasing the 4 nut comdo broke, I got 3 off but I can't get a socket to grab the last thin nut. I even ground down the top of my socket below the bevell so it can get a better grip. The nut isn't damaged(yet) but my brain has run out of ideas.
Any suggestions or ideas greatly appreciated.
[goofydrunk]

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am assuming you are talking about the 4 bolts that hold the spindle stub shaft to the trailing arm, but I am not sure what the metal cover you are talking about is. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

I ran into a similar issue when pulling the rear disc brake upgrade stuff, got 3 of the bolts out on one side but not the 4th. Try unbolting the shock from the trailing arm, that should give you a bit more room to work (may also have to undo the top shock nut if unbolting it from the trailing arm doesn't give enough room).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolts are not the issue, the 30mm nut in the center of the drum is the bad boy. With metal cover off it's 28mm. The bolt from the factory is made up of 4 thin bolts sandwiched together all encased in a metal cover. Just bought 2 new bolts for $21.40 each at dealer. You would almost have to break one open to see the 4 nuts inside. The 3 outermost nuts came off just fine, I just can't get a socket to grab enough of that last innermost nut

·
Registered
35 Posts
The bolts are not the issue, the 30mm nut in the center of the drum is the bad boy. With metal cover off it's 28mm. The bolt from the factory is made up of 4 thin bolts sandwiched together all encased in a metal cover. Just bought 2 new bolts for $21.40 each at dealer. You would almost have to break one open to see the 4 nuts inside. The 3 outermost nuts came off just fine, I just can't get a socket to grab enough of that last innermost nut
Split it with a chisel?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ahh gotcha, I haven't gotten that far into my car yet.

If you can't end up getting it off, and are planning on replacing the drums, one option would be to remove the drum by unbolting the spindle stub shaft and just replace the spindle stub shaft, they aren't too expensive (for drum brake cars, for disc brake cars that's another story).

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Ahh gotcha, I haven't gotten that far into my car yet.

If you can't end up getting it off, and are planning on replacing the drums, one option would be to remove the drum by unbolting the spindle stub shaft and just replace the spindle stub shaft, they aren't too expensive (for drum brake cars, for disc brake cars that's another story).
Thats what hes trying to do= remove the spindle stud viva the four nuts/bolts on the back side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've already removed spindle stub a couple of times to put in vise so I could get a better angle on the hub nut. The nut attaching the drum to the spindle is my headache. Inside that nut is 4 thin nuts all encased in a metal cover - looks like just 1 nut, anyone who has the misfortune and breaks the cover will know what I mean.
Pass side came off in like 10sec and about 6 hours so far in drivers side.
Tomorrow I'll hit the wrecking yard as I now concede defeat

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've already removed spindle stub a couple of times to put in vise so I could get a better angle on the hub nut. The nut attaching the drum to the spindle is my headache. Inside that nut is 4 thin nuts all encased in a metal cover - looks like just 1 nut, anyone who has the misfortune and breaks the cover will know what I mean.
Pass side came off in like 10sec and about 6 hours so far in drivers side.
Tomorrow I'll hit the wrecking yard as I now concede defeat
I still suggest tring to go at it with a chisel, either attempt to split it, or turn it, it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Inside that nut is 4 thin nuts all encased in a metal cover - looks like just 1 nut, anyone who has the misfortune and breaks the cover will know what I mean.
Like others, I was a bit confused about exactly what you meant at first. I never knew the 30mm nut was "layered" inside -and- has 4 thin nuts inside it. When the outer casing of the 30mm nut fell apart, that's when your day went to $*&#.

Yeah man, your kinda screwed. Sorry about your bad luck.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Laminated nut there, if you use a socket slightly too big then the outer cage distorts and what happens there. The socket must fit tightly to control outside of cage from twisting up out of shape.

May be able to get a dremel with a long rock up in there to grind and split the last layer of nut but gonna take some patience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a used spindle, new drums, berrrings, shoes - went together nicely.
Now a new problem - when braking, I hear speed and brake related thump thump thump, like if one of the new drums are out of round. I took off both drums and to see if there's something I didn't get back together right and couldn't find anything wrong. But it's seems to be getting louder and only hear it while braking. The noise started after the new rear brakes were done

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Is it one side or both? Have checked the hold down shoe springs? Does it change tone when you pull up on the e-brake a tad bit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts