Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago we noticed that our 2000 ZX3 started making excessive noise coming from the back while driving. I kinda deduced it was probably either tires or wheel bearings from the service manual. At 60K miles it was time for a service anyway, so we took it in.

Well, according to the tech when he took the right rear break drum off for the break service the wheel bearing disintigrated to the point of no return. Now they don't have the part and we need to leave our baby till they get it. At least it is good that it happened while at the mechanic's garage and not on NJ turnpike going 70 mph.

This is our second >$200 job in the last two months. At $200/months it is almost cheaper to lease a brand new car. If we go that route it is unlikely to be a Ford because of our bad experience with local Ford dealer (Malouf of North Brunswick) and general quality concerns.

However, we would still like to keep it until its wheels fall off (which at the present rate could've happened anytime in the last few weeks). So, I'd like to ask fellow Focus owners whether we should look at this as a one-time bad luck deal and not worry about it, or start shopping for a new car ?

How are your Foci holding up ?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
umm to be knowledge there was a major recall with your focus that should get that bearing fixed for free...if you already got it fixed then i dunno

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ouikikazz said:
umm to be knowledge there was a major recall with your focus that should get that bearing fixed for free...if you already got it fixed then i dunno
I know, but the situation we have now is that it is at mechanic's shop with no wheels, so we can't take it to the dealer. Is it possible to call Ford to have them reimburse us ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I just called Ford and they said they to get the recall paid for we have to do it at the dealer... but we can't move the car because the bearings fell apart at the mechanic's...

ARggghhh....

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
To answer your question about whether to keep the car or trade it in, the answer is "I dunno."

But I can suggest this: Do not fall into the "Well I just spent all this money on this car so I guess I've got to keep it a while longer to get it back out" trap. Because that's exactly what it is- a trap. When you think it's time, cut your losses and go.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
dulino said:
Well, I just called Ford and they said they to get the recall paid for we have to do it at the dealer... but we can't move the car because the bearings fell apart at the mechanic's...

ARggghhh....
what part of jersey are you in?

how far is the nearest dealership?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I wouldn't get too upset about a 5yr old car needing repairs. Some are expected, plus this is a known issue that Ford will take care of.

How far away is the closest dealer? Can you get it towed? The tow may cost you $$ but the repair would will be taken care with the recall(hence less expensive). Get AAA, wait a day and then have it towed.

I would keep it, yes the timing is off with just having a repair but the car is not going to start falling apart. Keep tabs on recalls and get them fixed as soon as you can to prevent things like this happening. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ouikikazz said:
what part of jersey are you in?

how far is the nearest dealership?
I am in South Brunswick, NJ ... The nearest dealer is not far but we had such a horrible experience with them in the past then I'd rather pay for the fix then deal with them again...

BTW, I called Ford yesterday. The wheel bearings on 2000 Foci was not a recall. It was a campaign that lasted till late 2002. It was one of those things where if you have a problem, they will fix it for free, if not then don't bother. So, we didn't notice the problem until much later.

It is not a big deal; I am also not convinced that this quality issue is specific to Ford or American cars in general. My parents just did the same exact thing on their 1999 Camry.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am in Hillsborough, NJ

Go to Fullerton Ford on Rt. 22 East (Bridgewater, I believe). Great dealership, never had a problem with them. Service department is top notch in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
the same happend to me couple of months back...
BUT in my case the wheel went almost off while running the car...
furtunly it was at low speed so nothing big happend...

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
You should be able to have it towed to the dealer and be reimbursed at the dealership. Call Ford at 800-241-3673, Thats the road side assistance #.

·
Registered
845 Posts
my 2000 ZX3 had the same problem and it was not a recall issue. The recall was because the bolt on the left rear was threaded backwards and would unscrew on it's own (they corrected this with a little cap and a screw to hold the cap on). The bearing issue is something different. In my case there was a little gasket that gradually slid out of the bearing allowing break dust and road debris to get into the bearing and wear it out. I wouldn't bother asking the dealer for anything since they'll just give you the run around with no positive results.

If it was a recall, you could get it fixed and be reimbursed by Ford, or possibly have the shop that does the repair work bill Ford directly.

·
Registered
496 Posts
pio said:
the same happend to me couple of months back...
BUT in my case the wheel went almost off while running the car...
furtunly it was at low speed so nothing big happend...
The same thing happened to me, except I was on the free way........[xx(].My wheel was bearly hanging on, seriously. AAA said that there must have been an angel watching over me. It was the right rear passenger ball bearing. It cracked the drum and chewed up the spindle something nasty. As already stated there was a "campaign" on the defective ball bearings. But Fords cheap ass put an expiration date on the recall. I called all my local stealerships and even the 1-800 number to try to get me a refund and.....no luck. You must have really good BS skills to compete with Ford about getting any type of refund or any kind of recall work done. I had to fight to get my fuel pump replaced. I have lost sooooo much respect from Ford because of the hassle's they have given me over my Focus. I love my car and wouldnt trade her for anything. She is running strong right now too(knocks on wood). Hopefully your experiece wont be 1/2 as bad as mine have been.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts