Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I typed this in as a search parameter and came up with nothing but guides on replacing the the toe arms, also nothing really came up with a Google search.

Belle Tire told me that the toe adjustment for the rear wheels was no good when I got an alignment after having the front wheel bearing done. I looked it up on a local auto store too and came up with nothing.

I noticed that the estimate states that the "Unit price" is $139.99, I also noticed that, in the ads that "Megan Racing Rear Toe Control Arms" were going for $134.30, is this really what the "kit" is?

This is for a bone stock 2006 Focus

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The inner mounting bolt of the rear lower arms is also the adjuster. Freezing up from rust is a common occurrence, and replacement of that arm and hardware is the only cure.

Replacement FRONT lower arms that are adjustable eases toe adjustment, and is a popular option for many.

You can look at the types available now knowing what to look for (adjustable front lower arm), some of the vendors who advertise here carry versions.

As with adjustable camber arms, it looks like there are versions with normal bushings avail. now. The first versions made were only with "heim joints" or urethane bushings which don't give as soft a ride as stock. Heim joint versions need more care/maint. than std. types, so most popular for a performance mod..

Cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'm confused a little, is there a control arm in the back that is referred to as the "front" control arm in the assembly?

I only need to replace the rear.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yes, there is both a front & a rear arm to the assembly.

You'd mentioned "Megan racing rear toe control arms", those would be a FRONT replacement arm that's adjustable as opposed to the stock one that is not.

When replacing the rear arm, there isn't a "kit" for the adjuster bolt assembly AFAIK, the parts making that up are replaced individually as needed. Adjuster bolt & nut are required, while the odd shaped washers that are part of the system are typically reusable. This explains why you didn't find any "Kit" when searching.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see, thank you

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Also, the stock toe arms are notorious for seizing. Ford used a metal bushing that normally involve you have to cut the bolts for removal. I had to cut mine, PITA, so just know that going into it if you were planning to install yourself.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Steeda & CFM has adjustable rear toe-link's. Makes adjusting your rear toe soooo much easier & makes the rear end feel more positive. If I was doing it again, I'd go w/ the Steeda ones= poly vs heim joints. Make sure to get the boots w/ heim joints.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Mine are this style/brand...I bought them off of someone else along with SBC camber arms, they were new never installed. I got them for a good price but they have been holding up fine so far. Over a year on my car now and they are still doing their job, five alignments later. If it wasnt for the good deal, i would have saved and went with Massive version

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Mine are this style/brand...I bought them off of someone else along with SBC camber arms, they were new never installed. I got them for a good price but they have been holding up fine so far. Over a year on my car now and they are still doing their job, five alignments later. If it wasnt for the good deal, i would have saved and went with Massive version
I take it, that your talking about the camber arms?= Massive over spc? & you also have toe-links.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm debating whether to get the steeda toe links or Massive toe links. I also plan on getting a set of camber arms with them. Any opinions on Massive vs. Steeda?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I'm debating whether to get the steeda toe links or Massive toe links. I also plan on getting a set of camber arms with them. Any opinions on Massive vs. Steeda?
Both are long time focus vendors and make good parts. I see things i like on both of them. They will both do the same job and are similar in price.

Can the Massive part be adjusted while on the car? Thats about the only major difference i see between the two.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It says on their website they are adjustable, so I'd imagine they are adjustable when installed. I think I'm going with Massive. Black Friday is going to kill my bank account...

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
It says on their website they are adjustable, so I'd imagine they are adjustable when installed. I think I'm going with Massive. Black Friday is going to kill my bank account...
On my last set of toe arms (cheap brand) I had to remove the main bolt to adjust the threading on the arm then reattach the bolt...so technically reinstall the arm during adjustments. Not an issue per se but lazy alignment shops needed to be reminded that they were adjustable.

something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Focus...ash=item2ee5cf15f5:g:jRQAAOSwHnFVghS9&vxp=mtr

I bought them from a member who never installed them, wasnt aware of the brand. They worked though, just not as fancy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmm okay, yeah that's definitely something to consider. I think I'm going to contact massive tomorrow and see if their toe arms can be adjusted installed. Thanks for pointing this out to me

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Hmm okay, yeah that's definitely something to consider. I think I'm going to contact massive tomorrow and see if their toe arms can be adjusted installed. Thanks for pointing this out to me
No need, Massive, cfm, steeda all can be adjusted on the car. Quick fick of the wrist makes a difference. I'd go w/ the Steeda ones.

Reactions: rambleon84

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Felix. I was leaning towards Steeda originally, but I like to compare my options. Do you know if with the Steeda links, you need to purchase boots separately? I know with massive, it said the boot was integrated in. CFM sells boots.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Steeda upgraded they're links a few yrs ago w/ a poly on one end & a heim joint on the other. I'd check w/ them to see.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts