Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what exactly is a rear sway bar and what does it do? is this something that an at homer can do himself? what advantages will i get with it? thanks.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
A sway bar is a bar that connects 2 opposite springs together, in this case, the 2 rear ones. When going into a turn, the car is going to sway to the outside. This compresses one spring, and releases on the other. With the bar, as the one spring compresses, it twists the bar slightly, which in turn applies pressure to the unsprung spring. But that spring makes it harder to twist, thus making the compressed spring act stiffer. I'll look for a better explanation. EDIT: Ah, a good read: http://www.houseofthud.com/cartech/swaybars.htm

But its a real easy mod. Can be done with just a socket set, although some of the bolts will be tight, so you might need a breaker bar to help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yup, definitly an excellent mod on the focus, however the install for the front sway bar is a little more complicated than the rear. you must unbolt 4 bolts going to the subframe to allow 1.5 " of clearance to r and r the front bar, no big deal really jus have some hefty tools around to brake those bolts and an extra jack would help!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is this a good mod to be done by itself even if i do'nt plan on doing a full suspension system later on?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Usually, its more of a suspension tuning part, but the bar alone can help reduce understeer.

·
Registered
990 Posts
egz

very nice, succinct explanation egz. joe said he'll take some shots of new caster/camber plates at vir in feb. maybe before then my wife will finally figure out which one she wants and we'll have one. god i am so 20th century.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts