Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, hoping I can get some help with this issue.

Began a few weeks back when a friend noted that my rear sway bar end-links were not at all sitting parallel with the control arm like they should be. They were actually canted up at about a 45 degree angle were the sway bar met the rubber bushings.

I just figured this was a result of me lowering my car 2 months ago and not readjusting the sway bar ends.

Just today I got around to breaking out the socket set and try to drop the end links down to parallel. The nuts came off the end easy enough, but the rubber bushings are solid as concrete and cracking. Ok, I thought, they are old, time to replace them! So I played with the sway bar until the ends were level with the control arm... but that point comes when the sway bar end link is about an inch and a half below the control arm. Add to it, the hole on the end of the control arm is not in line with the bolt hole in the control arm. If I slide a long enough bolt through, the difference between the two holes is about 1/2 inch (with the hole on the sway bar being more forward)

Is something screwy going on here? Even if I jack the suspension up as if it were still at stock height, the sway bar hole would not be directly in line with the bolt hole in the control arm.

The distant between the control arm and sway bar, both vertically and horizontally perturbs me greatly.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures from this morning when I tried dropping in a new set of Energy Susp. bushings:

Still not totally parallel.... and you can see some of the angle that the bolts have.

Close up:

Am I just looking into this too much or is there something bent down under there?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i remember correctly, mine are like that too, and dude, get shorter bolts for that sway bar
Bolts of that length are what is needed to keep the stock sway bar parallel[dunno]

Otherwise I end up like I had before with the sway bar ends bent upwards at a 45 degree angle.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I re-used the spacers from the stock hardware and just trimmed down the bolts.

edit: i just ran out to my car and looked, and yeah something doesn't look right under there. The top bushings are seated in there right?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I re-used the spacers from the stock hardware and just trimmed down the bolts.
That was what I initially intended to do, but the rubber spacers from my stock sway bar were rock hard and cracking.

I should have grabbed some pics before I took out the old bushings, but they looked something like this when they were in there. With the end of the sway bar digging up into the bottom of the rear control arm.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you need shorter endlinks, I had the same problem with the ones steeda sent me with their swaybar kit.
The metal tube spacer is way tooo long. You could try to cut that tube, but you might run out of thread for the nut on top.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140311&highlight=steeda+swaybar+installed
right now I have different endlinks: http://www.newedgeperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=180
Thanks for the links but I think everyone misunderstands the reason for this thread.

I am asking if there is a problem with my sway bar, because it needs to be down so low in order to keep the ends parallel with the control arm above.

I would rather not have it that low, and I can easily go out and buy a new set of the links with a shorter neck, but doing that would not solve the problem of the sway bar ends being turned up at an angle like in my illustration above.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
edit: i just ran out to my car and looked, and yeah something doesn't look right under there. The top bushings are seated in there right?
yeah, I double checked that. The little nipple on the bushings are in the holes in both the control arm and sway bar. There is just that 1/2 inch or less of forward distance to the sway bar that won't let it sit straight up and down.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
now i see, that is strange, can you move it up on the subframe?
I wish. Mine came stock with the sway bar; no adjustment bracket or other holes where it attaches to the subframe.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
you know what, you got it the wrong way. haha I also made this mistake when installing steeda. you need to flip it, thats the only reason i see why this could happen

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you know what, you got it the wrong way. haha I also made this mistake when installing steeda. you need to flip it, thats the only reason i see why this could happen
Flip the sway bar?

Little confused by that. This is still the stock sway bar. I haven't moved, or replaced it since I did my suspension drop. I don't see how it could have come upside down from the factory?

Although that seriously would be something that would happen were I installing an aftermarket sway bar, lol

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
the right side needs to be on the left and left on the right, that's what i mean. This is exactly how it looked when I was installing mine. Swaybar was way up there like you drew and endlinks had to come down way low to make it level. Only then I thought this can't be right and reinstalled it the other way and everything lined up as it should.
I don't know how it could have happened though, it does look like it's installed correctly right now. I'm just saying that when I had mine the wrong way, that is how the situation was, swaybar arms were up high, nothing lined up

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the right side needs to be on the left and left on the right, that's what i mean. This is exactly how it looked when I was installing mine. Swaybar was way up there like you drew and endlinks had to come down way low to make it level. Only then I thought this can't be right and reinstalled it the other way and everything lined up as it should.
I don't know how it could have happened though, it does look like it's installed correctly right now. I'm just saying that when I had mine the wrong way, that is how the situation was, swaybar arms were up high, nothing lined up
*strokes goatee*

Eeeeeeeeeeeenteresting......

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If you look at other suspension threads nobody has swaybar that far away from control arms. I'm no expert on stock swaybars, since i didn't have one, but by flipping it looks like will bring swaybar ends up closer to control arms and everything will line up.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your also missing a bushing there should be one on top an the bottom of the hole of the LCA.
There is, heh. You scared me there for a minute!

You can see the one on top, and the one on the bottom of the LCA hole is hidden by the metal on the arm.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Ya i saw the side shot of it an was like he's also missing a bushing. let me check an see how long those pipe's are going to be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts