Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 zx3, and the lack of a rear sway bar is annoying (I live in the mountains, no straight roads, so lots of cornering). I know the ST comes with a rear sway bar. So My question is, does somebody either make a rear sway bar just for the zx3, or if not, will the sway bar off an ST bolt up (assuming the holes exist for it, if not, man made drills for a reason). I would prefer to not have to do any welding (I am able too, just rather not). But a rear sway bar would make cornering better. Less understeer and keep the ass end from wanting to hop as much. Plus lesson the amount of total body roll.

Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i made my own out of 1/4'' steel tube. all i did was drill holes and mount them to the upper shock plate. ill post pics as soon as i can with a complete how to......

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow.... Did I post this in the wrong section? If the ST one wont fit, is there an aftermarket one that is decent?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Stuka said:
...less understeer and keep the ass end from wanting to hop as much. Plus lesson the amount of total body roll.

Thanks.
Are you sure you don't already have one? It's up ahead of the axle, and close to it- easy to miss.

In any event, don't forget that the focus needs some body roll to make the rear steer work. I mean to say, the rear-steer charistic is one of the things that make a focus a focus. The benifits of perfectly flat cornering might be cancelled by the loss of the rear-steer feature.

You mention the "ass-end hopping out". It could actually be this rear steering effect you feel. When the back seems like it's sliding out, listen- are the tires making noises like they're sliding? If not, it's not sliding out, it's steering out. Once you're aware of what's happening, you can really have some fun with this car. And scare your passengers half to death too, which is even MORE fun.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never heard of the focus having rear steer. Or is this simply an effect of the suspension geometry?

As from what I have read, 05 and up focii dont have rear sway bars, with the exception of the ST. I will double check again, but I am pretty sure it does not have one.

And as for the back end hopping out, The tires arent making any audible screach or anything, but I can feel it hop and then want to over steer a bit. Now the over steer doesnt bother me, except that its not predictable.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Stuka said:
I have never heard of the focus having rear steer. Or is this simply an effect of the suspension geometry?
It is a affect of the geometry, pretty cool if you ask me.

My 06 SES came with a sway bar, if you can get hold of a wrecked focus you can just pull the one off of there and throw it on yours.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
if your focus doens't have one like mine then you'll need to fab mounts for it or swap the k member

·
Registered
459 Posts
focusin said:
My 06 SES came with a sway bar, if you can get hold of a wrecked focus you can just pull the one off of there and throw it on yours.
Sorry to thread jack, but.. Focusin' we've pretty much got the same Sonic ZX3. Nice choice. And for the record- and some relevancy to this thread, mine did come with a sway bar.

That being said, it had no strut bar. I'm thinking that's going to really be the part that firms up the handling.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Stuka said:
Now the over steer doesnt bother me, except that its not predictable.
Yes, it does feel like oversteer. But once the back starts to steer out, I find it very easy to control and the car feels solid, like the back of the car is hanging out there on tracks.

Is your tire pressure OK?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to Fords Site, the SES zx3's have a rear sway bar, the S and SE does not.

I will need to find a smoother road to better see how the car reacts. The one road I see this on isnt super smooth, so it may not be the best place to judge how the rear end acts.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, the 05+ S and SE trims only have a front 18mm bar. The SES's have front and rear 18mm bars. The ST/SVT sways are the same and will mount up just fine but you'll need to either buy or fabricate mounts for the rear bar. hEaT posted a link to some up above and you can pick up ST/SVT sways off ebay fairly cheap.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i have a stock rear sway off my ZX3 SES, that i'd be willing to sell you for not too many dollars, let me know if you are interested

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
IMO - if you are going to upgrade that rear sway - or add one - I would look into something between 22mm - 24mm. You are still going to get some lean on that 21mm. A lot of guys with the SVTs (myself included) replace the rear one with something beefier. 22mm progress is pretty popular and affordable. I opted for the Eibach kit (22mm front 25mm rear). 28 is a little much.

·
Registered
545 Posts
sorry to jack the thread, but out of curiosity what does everyone do with the suspension parts they take off. There doesn't seem to be any demand for them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gitar111 said:
i have a stock rear sway off my ZX3 SES, that i'd be willing to sell you for not too many dollars, let me know if you are interested
I may just take you up on that. I am going to price out some aftermarket ones tonight/tomorrow. I will get back to you if I choose yours, thanks.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
'05 and up may or may not have a sway bar. Just depends if they put it on. It was an option after '04. Those brackets that were posted earlier in this thread seem to be a good option. I have added the rear bar to several members cars now and i just make my brackets from channel steel and weld them to the crossmember. The steel doesnt cost but $5. if you need a pair and cant weld, any muffler shop can weld thm in place for you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts