Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i'm getting ready to install my new rear sway bar and i was just going to get underneath of it (without jacks)...and just swap it out...my car is sitting on a very slight slant to the passengers side because of the road and i was wondering if i absolutely needed to to this on a flat surface?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
you should jack it up to take tension off the endlinks. Its safer so the car doesn't roll on you when ur underneath it. you should do it on a level surface anywaays, but definitley jack it up else, you won't preload it right!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i was afraid that someone would say that...i don't have jacks...but thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
how do you preload a swaybar??? Unless one wheel is higher than the other it's never under any tension.
Yes do it on a level surface, that is so both wheels are at the same level.
Go to the store, get some ramps, do the work, return after the work is done :)

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
If it's any consolation. I didn't jack up my car when I did the swap.

I haven't had any problems since then. But again, I myself am a mechanic noob.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the tension/angle of the endlinks is slight when the car is up or down. but when the car is jacked up, its gaurenteed to be even. When you torque down the endlinks, you need to tighten them evenly or one side will become preloaded more than the other. When the car is down/slanted, this process has more likely hood of being done wrong.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i understand what you mean...i'm going to go to my dads shop and do it because they have a lift...that way i know it will be done right.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya, thats the best way to go.

·
Supercharged
3,276 Posts
I believe you install it with both wheels on the ground and a level surface. Always put something behind the wheels even if you can't find a level surface to work on.

Safety first!

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
^^agreed. you should NOT install the RSB with the wheels off the ground. the absolutely best way of doing this is with car ramps. the rear also must be level. many of us run the bolts on the endlinks til it touches and then tighten the nuts 2 complete turns.

if you do the install with the wheels off the ground, you will be pre-loading the hell out of the rear. thus resulting in a very very twitchy rear. this is completely unsafe at highway speeds during lane changes.

good luck

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i installed it at my dads shop (with wheels in the air)...i didn't really get to see if there was a big difference yet because it was raining out....but right afterwords i went to the Columbus Zoo to check out the lights and the car drove great at highway speeds.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I've never had any oversteer w/ mine and thats how i installed mine and ive taken it to the road track since. I was told you would get problems if you installed it when it was on the ground, not in the air.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
^^^ of coure thats not to say there couldn't have been problems w/ other peoples. the mechanic told me to install it jacked up.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I could understand if you took a 12 foot level to the floor you were doing it on to make sure one side wasn't higher than the other but honestly doing it on the floor could present some problems. If one side is a bit higher than the other it could make a difference in when your torque wrench reads the correct torque on the bushing bolt making one side looser than the other. I mean we are talking about a tiny bit of difference but difference nonetheless. While in the air you are sure both sides are exactly the same.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Ok why in the Fu(k would you jack the car up in the first place? seems kinda retard if you ask me. like it's really hard to get to the rear sway bar. Every person that i know who put a rear sway on never TQ the endlinks. Preload? wtf? that's if your makeing the endlinks longer just like the front poweridge ones you can get from newedgeperormance.com. like i said befor it's not a science project.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
No use getting bent outta shape about it....

I just always found it easier to get the endlinks situated with it jacked up anyway. Getting all those parts stacked properly can be kinda challenging unless you have three hands.

Lets put it this way. An extreme scenario here. Say you are installing the rear swaybar on a hill. Your car is parked sideways on the hill. The body wants to lean one way so it puts pressure on that side of the swaybar which transfers this force pulling the other side down in esscence canceling out the sway. If you were torquing down the endlinks the downhill link would reach the specified torque much sooner than the uphill link just because of how much pressure each arm is putting on the bushing parts.

Now the same principle applies to installing it on "flat" ground. Its just best to torque them down in the air where both arms are hanging freely with equal load on the endlinks. That is all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts