Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a Progress 22mm rear sway bar on my 2006 ZX3 SE. I noticed that the crossmember had a small rectangular metal piece on the drive side. When I attached my homemade brackets far apart, on the outside of this piece of metal, the result was unacceptable. I would get a clunking sound when I went over uneven pavements, like driving onto my driveway. When I reinstalled the brackets closer together, on the inside of the metal piece, everything worked great. Brackets closer together seem to allow the sway twist a little more, giving me more horizontal travel, which helps with my stock suspension.

Can someone measure the distance between the sway bar brackets on a Focus that came with a rear sway bar?

I'd like to know what the Ford engineers thought was the best distance between the brackets, and whether I should bring the my brackets even closer together.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The brackets are probably not strong enough to resist the torsional forces when located far from the center of the of the rear suspension tube housing. That would be my guess, do you have a picture? Here is what mine look like....

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
^^^ also the OEM brackets supposedly go over the supplied aluminum, or brass bracket... I didn't bother with my progress RSB, but someone else claimed it does.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't know, never tried, but i tried with a 20, 21, 22 and 25mm bar. Of course all the bigger bars requried custom bushings.
-bix

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to know if you made those sway bar brackets, or if an aftermarket supplier made them. Where can I get some? I just bought a 2007 zx3 and desperately want a swaybar option. I can't believe there is not a bracket on the car's suspension that was just unused for the SE model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts