Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was rotating my tires and decided to goof around with the sway bar links a bit because of the body roll that this car shouldn't have. Anyway I tightened up the links about 2 full turns each. Is this a good idea or bad? I just think they were set up soft and really weren't doing any good back there. I realize I should get some urethane bushings, and get TFM.. by the way, what's a good repair manual for this car?

These Toyo Proxes are nice, but I miss the stock Pirellis..

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Honestly tightening up the stock rubber bushings isn't going to do much at all. Getting some poly bushings will help stiffen it up by making it more responsive but without changing either the diameter of the bar of the shape of the bar you won't get any less body roll. You can make the bar stiffer by doing one or both of the following things. Getting one that is bigger in diameter. This added diameter takes more torque to twist. Or moving the connection points where it connects to the control arms making the bar shorter in all. This makes it so there is less leverage possible to torque the bar thereby making it stiffer.

Most aftermarket bars out there just keep the same design while making the diameter more instead of making it adjustable. H&R does make a front bar that is adjustable though. On the stiffer setting you move the link to an inner hole essentially making the bar shorter and stiffer because of it.

Bushings will make the ride much more responsive but not really necessarily stiffer.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The Ford factory repair manual is the best but its on the pricey side. Both Chiltons and Haynes make Focus repair manuals. In my experience, Haynes manuals are a little more complete.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
You guys can actually buy the factory manuals as cheap as i can. Here is the link:
www.helminc.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
Honestly tightening up the stock rubber bushings isn't going to do much at all. Getting some poly bushings will help stiffen it up by making it more responsive but without changing either the diameter of the bar of the shape of the bar you won't get any less body roll.
+1. Non-SVT Foci have pretty tall ride height, which causes lots of weight transfer, which in turn causes lots of body roll. If you want to reduce the body roll, IMHO you should lower the car's ride height before installing stiffer swaybars. More roll stiffness without lower ride height will not address the source of the problem.

Fortunately, Ford built ST's with the same shocks and struts as an SVT, which means yoiu can install the lower and stiffer SVT springs without winding up with a car that's underdamped. [:D]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts