Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
!!Help!!Rear Suspension is this normal?!

Alright, I recently bought an 03' ZX3 with 38xxx miles on it and I noticed on the test drive that it was a bit loud in the rear when I went over bumps/potholes etc... I asked the dealer and he said it was just the "sport tuned suspension" After purchasing the car I decided it needed to be checked out, the noise was more prevelant and after sitting in the back I determined that it was extremely rough, too rough.... also even when going in a str8 line if i went over a pot hole it felt like the rear slipped a bit... Again the Dealer said there was nothing he could find to be wrong... went and got a second opinion... same findings... Is this common for this model?! also it sounds like the body is doing a bit of creaking as well... did a carfax and it came back clean......

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
If by "slipped a bit" you mean it hopped over a little, I'm told this is not unusual, although I've never noticed it myself. If you're new to focii, you may not know that your car has passive rear steer. As the rear suspension compresses the wheel toes out, steering the back of the car toward the outside of the curve. The effect is often confused with the car sliding out in the back, but unless you hear a rucus from the back tires have no fear, it's steering out, not sliding out. When you hit a pothole it could compress the suspension enough to momentarily steer the back of the machine off line a little. Maybe if your shocks are weak it'd be worse...

As for the noise, look at all the bushings, of course, and evidence that they might have been changed. Maybe someone put some good stiff ones in there. Also, make sure that your tires aren't overinflated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts