Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I just finished replacing all the control arms on my 2002 Focus, most of the bushings were shot, my question concerns some of the factory nuts and bolts which I had to cut-off due to them being completely rusted in, I replaced them with the correct 10.9 hardware.
As you all know the original nuts are welded to the cross-member, I don't own a welder so after cleaning all-up I just torqued down the new bolts and lock nuts to specs, is it necessary to weld the new nuts to the CM? Is it safe to leave them as-is? I'm sure many of you out there have run into a similar situation, as this seems to be a common issue with the Focus.....I would greatly appreciate any guidance on these questions, please feel free to comment ...THX.[scratch]

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm curious what brand components you used, OEM or aftermarket? And how was the cost?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nuts are just "tacked" in place for ease of assembly as noted above, the "locking" is by the torque applied pinching the side plates tight on the sleeve through the bushing. This puts permanent tension on the bolt, "locking" it in place....

Having to use a wrench on both sides during assembly & disassembly is the only difference without them tacked in place.

Hope you used some "never - seize" on the bolts, just in case you ever need to adjust the alignment, or repair anything in the future...

( That's the step the factory saves money on, since they'll last past warranty without it....)

Take Care,

Sailor

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
When I had to replace a few nuts on the rear of my suspension , I used the service grade loc tite and a lock nut.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Belt & Suspenders doesn't hurt, Eh?

How Ya Doing "Slayer" ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Belt & Suspenders doesn't hurt, Eh?

How Ya Doing "Slayer" ?
First let me thank all of you who responded, now to answer the questions....

1---- I used 10.9 aftermarket bolts I bought at hardware store, the lock nuts are original suspension grade provided by a friend who used to work for GM.

2---- I absolutely used never-size, won't get caught with my pants down again!!!

3--- The job was a [email protected]#@$%^&*, this is my first Ford and probably my last (sorry Focus Fanatics), I've always repaired my own cars, owned both GM and Chrysler, never ever have I run into anything like this!!! I'm giving the car to my daughter who's starting college next semester, after all the work I've put into it it's like it should last her for the next 4 yrs.

Again THX to all......

·
Registered
438 Posts
Junior, I hope that Focus you bought your daughter doesn't have the SPI motor. Be aware, they are know to drop valve seats and do some engine damage. Just fore warning.
I did the same thing, just bought my 16 yr old a car and doing many repairs to get it trustworthy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts