1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Focus LX
115,000 miles
body is rusted

Going round a particular left hand turn on the way to work every morning I thought there were anomalies in the pavement. Just today I went around another left hand turn and got the exact same feeling... (both were sharp turns taken at higher speeds). The feeling is as if the right rear was not stationary but could turn just like the fronts can. Right hand turns are fine.

I jacked the back end up and can't see anything obvious but when on the ground and pushing the back of the car side to side, the left rear tire flexes like normal, the right rear flexes like normal but appears to have an extra swivel to it. I can only "assume" the rubber bushings are bad on the frame two arms, the one that goes forward and the other that goes inboard from the right wheel.

What I need are other suggestions to look at in case these are not the only reasons for this problem.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You Nailed It - when the bushings start to go you get a "loose' feeling at the rear in a straight line, and a "wiggly" feeling when cornering, as the car DOESN'T do exactly what you tell it to...

One warning, in planning the job - buy all new bolts for those arms. They rust into the bushings through the rubber & are SELDOM removable without cutting them apart, so just plan on replacement.

Even "southern" cars seem to run into this issue, I KNOW mine are frozen in, despite a generally decent condition car for up here, since when I had to adjust toe on one side it took a LONG time spraying penetrant, twisting, hammering, over a couple weeks of repeated attempts B4 I could loosen ONE enough for the adjustment I needed. Replacement would have involved cutting...

The arms involved are the lateral links, NOT the one that goes forwards - both rear & front at the bottom. There is a top link as well that is a lateral link, you might want to do all three at the same time...

Luck!

PM me if you need any help, I'm not THAT far away that you couldn't drive over here where I've got LOTS of tools to help... (Just East of Buffalo, near the Thruway)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had that same issue with my 02 when I bought it. I replaced the one that looks like a dog bone. Solved the problem. Many of these components are dealer only, but a few can be had from local auto parts.
I am about to do one on my 00 I just purchased, pass side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts