Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly the rear suspension on my 2012 Focus has changed to be very hard/bumpy.

I fitted a new set of Michelin Primacy 4 tires (215/50R17) recently but I didn't notice a difference in the ride. The new tires have "Extra Load" written on the side, so I am wondering if this is significant or not.

After a month of running the new tires I took the car for a service, since then the ride is very hard.

Could the tires be the issue or could worn shocks cause the hard feeling?

I have the factory sport suspension package and the shocks are not leaking. Are they gas or oil filled?

The car has done 57,000 miles.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Check the tire pressure, they may be over inflated. Work shocks would make the car bouncy and soft in the rear.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Has to be over inflation since it happened right after it was serviced. If the tires were too hard, you would have felt it a month ago when they were installed.

One other guess - did they rotate your tires? You could have one slightly out of round, and you're feeling it now that it was moved. I had that years ago with shyte Walmart tires on a truck.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I'm not saying you're an idiot, but I've heard this before and the driver usually doesn't understand that constantly hauling 80-100+ lbs of 'stuff' in the trunk or cargo area will negatively affect ride quality. Are you carrying any unnecessary weight? lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the tire pressures. They were 31psi for all 4.

I have set the rears to 29 for now, but it hasn't made a noticable difference to ride quality. Still hard. I don't want to go lower.

I have nothing in my trunk no extra weight other than the stock space saver tyre. Actually adding weight improves the ride quality. I recently used the car to carry a large amount of bottled water (approx 70kg). That's what got me into thinking it's a spring control issue???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Like others have said the more worn your shocks are the softer and bouncier your ride quality will be so it’s most likely your new tires especially since it occurred right after new tires were installed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts